Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2017, 18:20   #1

Boat: lagoon 400s2
Auxiliary switch secrets

Hi, What do you guys have working under the auxilliary switch on the electrical panel ? I'm embarassed to say I don't have a clue what's under mine, I asked the previous owner and he didn't know either. All the manuals don't clear it up ... thanks !
jugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 20:05   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Auxiliary switch secrets

Why not just crack open the panel and look?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 21:19   #3

Figure it out. And then label it... nobody should have an aux switch.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 06:51   #4

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
Figure it out. And then label it... nobody should have an aux switch.
Most probably - nothing.
It was put there by Lagoon for your convenience if & when you want new extra equipment and wish to connect it to the panel.
If previous owner did not connect (seems so as he does not know what it is) then it is still free.
Old 24-10-2017, 07:36   #5

It does look like it's free, but I just don't know for sure. Of course I opened the panel to check, it's an electronic board - not an oldschool electric one where you can simply follow and test out the wires ... All our electrical stuff still works when it is shut off ... but it would be just my luck to not see something stealthly important, that's why I thought I'd ask ...
Old 24-10-2017, 15:22   #6

Our Panel has the french word "Auxiliare" and the english sub text "Spare". I tried to track this on the lagoon wiring schematics and it seems it could be used for a second fridge. In the USA it may be used as the propane on/off solenoid. If you have a smart battery monitor you could switch everything else off so the amp draw is zero and then switch this one on and see if if there is any draw.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 17:59   #7

Thanks BeanCounter, I do have two refrigerators but both still work with the aux switch off. So I guess the aux is not in use. For a minute I thought it was the AIS, because even with the nav instruments switch in the OFF position, my AIS seems to be transmitting constantly. I can go 'dark' while sailing by going stealth via my plotter, but as soon as I anchor and switch the nav instruments off, my AIS is alive and sending ...
Old 24-10-2017, 21:02   #8

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugga View Post
Thanks BeanCounter, I do have two refrigerators but both still work with the aux switch off. So I guess the aux is not in use. For a minute I thought it was the AIS, because even with the nav instruments switch in the OFF position, my AIS seems to be transmitting constantly. I can go 'dark' while sailing by going stealth via my plotter, but as soon as I anchor and switch the nav instruments off, my AIS is alive and sending ...
How did you check AIS at port? by looking at Internet website? The only conclusive way is to visit a neigbour with AIS equipment. Then turn yours transmission on/off and see what happens on his screen.
I would be very much surprised if your AIS still transmits if the navigation breaker is off.
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 05:02   #9

Our Raymarine AIS continues to transmit with panel Nav switched off, as does another L450 with a B&G system we know of. Must be wired to the VHF radio circuit as the Ray240E radio also does not switch off (unless turned off at the unit) and has no panel switch.
Old 25-10-2017, 05:07   #10

Also if Marine Traffic is showing my position on the internet as of 5 minutes ago when my Nav has been switched off for two days, would be a good indicator that the AIS is transmitting.
Old 25-10-2017, 19:37   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
Our Raymarine AIS continues to transmit with panel Nav switched off, as does another L450 with a B&G system we know of. Must be wired to the VHF radio circuit as the Ray240E radio also does not switch off (unless turned off at the unit) and has no panel switch.

I doubt it is wired to the VHF though, or do you mean your AIS stops transmitting when your VHF is switched off at the unit ?
My AIS seems lit all the time
Old 26-10-2017, 11:08   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugga View Post
I doubt it is wired to the VHF though, or do you mean your AIS stops transmitting when your VHF is switched off at the unit ?
My AIS seems lit all the time
For our VHF there is no panel switch, it has power available to it all the time.

The AIS is the same. Even if it is not transmitting an indicator light is still on (so it must have power in standby mode) Again there is no panel switch for the AIS, and it is not governed by the Nav panel switch

There is also no panel switch for the automatic self bailers.

I am suggesting there may be a circuit (probably related to safety) that is live to power these things even if all panel switches are off. They may have other breakers on the breaker board though in the electrical cabinet, if not I guess they rely on in line fuses. The Winches and Windlass have their own heavy duty breakers.

Friends have a 2016 L450 with a B&G system, they have no separate switch to switch off power to their AIS either, it transmits all the time.

In our case the older Raymarine system, the default when starting the plotter is to switch the AIS to non transmit mode. Unless you consciously switch it on through the plotter it will not transmit, even when plotter is closed down. If you turn transmit on through the plotter and then shut down the plotter the AIS continues to transmit.
Old 26-10-2017, 13:15   #13

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

We also have the AIS sending as long as the battery is switched on. (Main switch next to the stb. aft bed). You can switch the NAIS 400 off at the B&G Zeus^2 plotter.
Ulstue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:04   #14

Boat: Lagoon 450

Hi,

Our Auxiliary switch had nothing connected to it (L450F 2016)... so we used it for our mast top trilight...

Regards, Rick
Rickthesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:10   #15

Boat: Lagoon 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
For our VHF there is no panel switch, it has power available to it all the time.

The AIS is the same. Even if it is not transmitting an indicator light is still on (so it must have power in standby mode) Again there is no panel switch for the AIS, and it is not governed by the Nav panel switch

There is also no panel switch for the automatic self bailers.

I am suggesting there may be a circuit (probably related to safety) that is live to power these things even if all panel switches are off. They may have other breakers on the breaker board though in the electrical cabinet, if not I guess they rely on in line fuses. The Winches and Windlass have their own heavy duty breakers.

Friends have a 2016 L450 with a B&G system, they have no separate switch to switch off power to their AIS either, it transmits all the time.

In our case the older Raymarine system, the default when starting the plotter is to switch the AIS to non transmit mode. Unless you consciously switch it on through the plotter it will not transmit, even when plotter is closed down. If you turn transmit on through the plotter and then shut down the plotter the AIS continues to transmit.
Hi,

On our 450F (2016) the AIS uses the VHF antenna via a splitter, and there is an option to run the AIS in silent mode (receive only), but you need to wire that yourself... there are instructions in the manual... we leave ours in full receive/transmit all the time...

Regards, Rick
Rickthesailor is offline   Reply With Quote