Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2021, 19:57   #1

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version
Anyone replaced their SD 50s?

I think we just lost one today and will have to have a service rep investigate the CRUNCH sound and why the engine died immediately following the loud sound.

I understand SD 50s are replaced with SD 60s now. Has anyone done this? Where did you have it done, and what was the cost?

Thanks
Nahbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 22:42   #2

Re: Anyone replaced their SD 50s?

A number of people have replaced the SD50 with SD 60. There is an adapter plate available from Yanmar. The early SD 60s had problems of their own, subsequently fixed. Last I heard the SD 60 was about $7000 in Maryland for the unit + adapter +labor. I was tempted to swap our SD50s out but then I learned how to lap the cones, and so for 4 hrs of my labor once every couple of seasons I saved a lot of money. The cost really starts to rocket when service providers start spinning stories about having to remove the drive take it to the workshop, blah blah blah, so then your boat is sitting on the hard with a hole it it, at the mercy of the shop, so you pay for the haul out, the yard space, and any other costs like rental cars, airfares or motels and so on. So I would want to make pretty sure the drive is a write-off and not just a worn clutch cone or maybe a damaged gear set.

Start with the top of the unit while boat is still in the water, can check the clutch, shafts, and top gears and bearings. IF that shows no damage you will need to get hauled to inspect the lower gear housing at the prop, prop and lower shaft and gear set is easily removed and inspected. If still a problem inside the leg, that is when it may need to come off and then the clock will start running expensively.

Oh before all that check that something has not wrapped itself around the prop like a cable or chain on a fish/crab trap, this will cause the engine to stall.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 22:56   #3

Boat: Lagoon 400

Here is a copy of the Yanmar Service Bulletin YMTQTB13-022: Notice of Replacement of SD60 from SD40& 50.

Could be of use to you when scoping / discussing work execution with your marine provider.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Conversion SD50 to Sd60.pdf (334.4 KB, 252 views)
OldGreyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 00:26   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
. . . Oh before all that check that something has not wrapped itself around the prop like a cable or chain on a fish/crab trap, this will cause the engine to stall.

This! This is a much more common cause of the described symptoms, than sail drive failure.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 12:43   #5

Boat: 12m aluminium centreboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
This! This is a much more common cause of the described symptoms, than sail drive failure.
And this is one reason my SD50 is fitted with a Kiwi Prop. The plastic blades are likely to absorb much of the energy. They are inexpensive (relatively) and can even be replaced while the boat is afloat..
adjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 15:25   #6

Boat: 2009 Lagoon 440 Owners Version

I haven't done it on our 440, but the yard we were at last October did one on a Lagoon 420 while we were there.

The yard was Zimmerman Marine in Matthews Virginia (actually Cardinal) and their prices for the haul out and yard fees were very reasonable and they have a trailer for hauling out cats instead of a sling which is very nice.

So you may want to get a quote there if Virginia is in reach for service in your time frame. Obviously if you need it done sooner than later and you're not already there that will be a chilly one for a few more months.

But at least you can get a good reference quote from someone that just recently did one.
Jenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 06:50   #7

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version

Thanks for the responses. A line had indeed fouled the prop.
Nahbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 07:21   #8

Boat: 2009 Lagoon 440 Owners Version

Good news!
Jenta is offline   Reply With Quote