Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2019, 05:21   #1

anchor way gelcoat damage/protection

hello, there is this damage in the pictures because of usage. what is the best way to fix this damage and protect in the future to not happen ? how much it will cost? is it easy to fix?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	anchor1.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	419.7 KB
ID:	204634   Click image for larger version

Name:	anchor2.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	444.2 KB
ID:	204635  

ers61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:37   #2

Boat: Amel 50
Re: anchor way gelcoat damage/protection

On my ex Lagoon 450 I glued King Starboard pieces to protect the fiberglass. It works.

You just need to design them in such a way so that they work and don't stop the water from draining.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:47   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

It doesn’t look like their is room for Starboard?
I’d assume it’s going to take a thin piece of stainless, most any metal working shop should be able to bend it into a Sharp cornered U shape, and I would use adhesive “dots” to attach it. I wouldn’t want to adhere it full length as it may be difficult to remove if you wanted to.

Sort of different, but I have a probably four foot piece of stainless on top of my teak to protect it. It was left over at the plant I worked at and it does get a little scratched of course.

Or maybe install some rollers that hold the chain up higher than the fiberglass?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:50   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Oh, and lose that swivel, it doesn’t look like it can take a side load, and that may make it fail one day. You need an attachment that can be pulled sideways without binding up, a short piece of chain and a shackle would work if you really like that swivel.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:17   #5

no, I don't have a special connection with that swivel thanks for tip.

Don't you think this is a design issue ? this would happen for sure..I wonder if anyone had faced this before and fixed it. Steel sounds good but why one needs to fix it which shouldn't be a problem in the first place (like the rollers could be a good idea to have them installed by lagoon)
Old 09-12-2019, 07:24   #6

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

Rather than A64's solution I'd look at some friction-free tape in the 40 to 60 mil thickness range. You can find stuff that is basically white Teflon with an adhesive backing. Fingind the right stuff might take some looking but I had a roll I used for years which was awesome. It stuck to things as well as VHB tape. Stuff slid over it even under high side loads. And it was very tough and abrasion resistant.

You'd probably have to repair your gelcoat first to get a smooth mounting surface. Other than that it would be an inexpensive solution that would probably hold up well and not stand out visually.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:24   #7

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

If the want to keep the swivel, put a shackle between it and the anchor.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:25   #8
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

You have a couple of projects:

- fix/remove anchor swivel/connector. Buy the Mantus one.

- fix the damage. I recommend to lightly sand the channel, scrub with brush and soap, rinse & dry, wipe with acetone, then paint with Interprotect2000 or Totalprotect 2-part epoxy barrier coat. Then you must decide on a topcoat or just cover it with:

- protect against damage. You can buy PTFE or UHMW tape like this: https://www.amazon.com/TapeCase-423-...5905060&sr=8-6
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:08   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
It doesn’t look like their is room for Starboard?
I’d assume it’s going to take a thin piece of stainless, most any metal working shop should be able to bend it into a Sharp cornered U shape, and I would use adhesive “dots” to attach it. I wouldn’t want to adhere it full length as it may be difficult to remove if you wanted to.

Sort of different, but I have a probably four foot piece of stainless on top of my teak to protect it. It was left over at the plant I worked at and it does get a little scratched of course.

Or maybe install some rollers that hold the chain up higher than the fiberglass?
My phone app would not load the pictures... That's a skinny channel! My L450 had much more room. I remember that the chain would slap the channel pretty hard.

Maybe there's room for thin Starboard? Maybe, make a raised "V" Starboard channel?
I'm thinking about quick solutions. It's hard to tell from the pictures.

Anything metal can be brutal on the chain coating.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:22   #10

Boat: 1979 Acapulco 40

You might also get a piece of schedule 40 PVC in the appropriate diameter, leaving enough room at the windless and roller ends for a little slack. Run the chain through the PVC, install a new mantus swivel and then lightly adhere the PVC pipe to the channel. It will wear out and oxidize every couple of seasons but should be easy to remove and replace as necessary. This will Protect your boat and gel coat from further damage
Glassdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 18:58   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I like the PVC idea. Easy. Cheap and should work well, and PVC is real easy to replace in a few years if it needs it, you can even paint it so it matches the boat and to keep it from chalking in the sun. I’d paint it before I laid it.
Old 09-12-2019, 20:01   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I like the PVC idea. Easy. Cheap and should work well, and PVC is real easy to replace in a few years if it needs it, you can even paint it so it matches the boat and to keep it from chalking in the sun. I’d paint it before I laid it.
Me too! It keeps the chain under control too.
Old 09-12-2019, 23:06   #13

anyone have pictures with using pvc ? wonder how it looks
Old 10-12-2019, 05:40   #14

Once it is repaired; just be careful and don't allow the anchoring system to collide with the surrounding material. Be gentle when handling the anchor.

I'd be much more concerned with the galvanic corrosion that has started between the swivel and chain. It's still early; but left along this could lead to catastrophic failure.
JohnSporck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 18:03   #15

EDIT:

Just realized there isn't a recessed lip.

Wouldn't UHMW "rungs" or "steps" strategically placed along he channel (plum with the deck) keep the chain in the channel and off the ridge. Or better yet, attach a single piece the entire length with tapered allen bolts for a clean look. As for the the wider front portion, line the sides and bottom with UHMW.
Go Wildcats is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, gelcoat, rot