Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2016, 16:47   #46

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Re: Am I being unreasonable concerning handover of new 450S

Thanks jbinbi,
really the whole reason for this post is what is to be expected and reasonable for a handover. & do most new boat buyers do an independent surveyor? The boat is a new boat comes with a full warranty infact a little more because I was concerned of the strike. Can you tell me what your handover consisted of? The persistent dail is turned to full on! I do think that I should have planned and already done a independent survey but I didn't, so I am a little behind the curve but am working to catch up. John Holbrook has connected me with another man that is living on the dock. Possibly he can help me find a good surveyor.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 26-07-2016, 16:52   #47

Boat: Lagoon 50

From my considerable experience with the matter, I have the following comments:SAMs and nams surveyors have no particular experience in identifying the nature and extent of damaged caused by lightning. They have no specialized tools.

Lightning damage is often latent. This made it very difficult to find a qualified surveyor that would opine that all damage caused by lightning was identified.

Many trades in the business said that they could repair the damage. When pressed on the point, they acknowledged that they could only do their best, but no guarantee of success.

Everyone involved with proposed repairs ultimately admitted that there may be hidden damage and that problems may surface in the future.

After a year battle with the insurer, the boat was not repaired and instead sold to a marina. That Marina fixed up the boat and resold it. The new owner had lots of ongoing and new problems. We're these problems the result of lightning or shady repair work? Who knows.

Ultimately the purchaser was told that the repair facility won't do any more work on the boat.

Good luck.
Old 26-07-2016, 17:20   #48

Boat: Lagoon 450S

Thanks Warren 460 when you Purchased your new lagoon could you tell me what the handover process consisted off? That is what I am looking for here.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 26-07-2016, 17:23   #49

Boat: Hanse 348

Mike, my handover was done at the show by the customer manager from lagoon france. we went over all systems. Very hurriedly, in about an hour , maybe 2. This was at the show, during the show. I was a bit concerned as the day after the show i was moving the boat 300mi, though all coastal. There are still some little issues that haven't gotten fixed yet, but I am working with the dealer.

There is a warranty on everything. If you have the time, don't take delivery until all is fixed, or if you do, have them sign what you know is not working so it will be fixed after you take delivery. From what I understand, dealers are compensated for warranty work, so it should not make a difference where you get it done, however a dealer who didn't sell to you might not be excited about it.

My dealer does not have his own tech support, he just uses the local marina where he is located. That is a 10 hour sail from where I keep the boat, so I am trying to have some warranty issues taken care of by my local boatyard. Still in negotiation with that.

Send emails, keep a trail.
Old 26-07-2016, 20:09   #50

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Biggest concern is structural damage, if your contract is as is written, get out of water survey, with a hard focus on the structure. Any day from lightning, then seek refund. My 2c

Sent from my PLT1077G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 27-07-2016, 03:44   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren460 View Post
... I consulted with a guy from Florida named ewin mcgregor. I think his web site is marine Lightning. He is as expert as they come...
More likely Ewen Thomson ➥ About MLP

Old 27-07-2016, 04:07   #52

Boat: Lagoon 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
More likely Ewen Thomson ➥ About MLP
Yes, that's him. He is excellent. As I said, a search of marine lightning would get you his web site.
Old 27-07-2016, 07:25   #53
TOT

Boat: Lagoon 450

Simpson Marine Singapore did a very detailed handover when my boat arrived, including test sail.

After sale service from them has always been outstanding.

SV TOT
Wayne 😃
Old 27-07-2016, 09:47   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I didn't read all the thread. But to me it sounds like:

You paid for a new boat and now it is used and damaged.
Read the rest of the thread. He bought a boat that had been in a boat show, sat at dock for a few months and was known to have been hit by lighting.

Now it all comes down to the exact language put in the contract as to what the OP's options are. Unless the OP posts a scan of the contract (which I wouldn't expect), we are largely limited to speculation.
Old 27-07-2016, 21:18   #55

OP, please come back in a few months and keep us updated as to what happened.
Old 28-07-2016, 00:34   #56

Boat: Lagoon 450

Hi I have bought already 2 Lagoon 450 to Simpson Marine in Phuket. My boat are navigating 6 months a year because they are used in charter. One was delivered in Singapore and the other one in Port Klang. On the first one I got also hit by lightening. My AIS and depth sounder were changed and the main display just repaired, it was 4 years ago and all my electronic are still working fine. I am based in Singapore and if you need help, you can contact me when you reach Singapore. But frankly speaking all technical issues are always been taken professionally by Simpson and I have never got any problems with them. But if you get such concern perhaps you should talk to them and go point by point. Where your boat will be based?
Old 28-07-2016, 02:29   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Folks, I think the OP has had all the advise he needs, and is grateful for the time taken you have all taken to respond.
As he now has a course of action, the thread is closed.

Thanks
Closed Thread