Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2021, 06:16   #1

Advice for purchasing used Lagoon

Hi group. My wife and I are considering the purchase of a 2015 or newer Lagoon 40-50'. We've started looking at several and would love some tips from the group with regards to key things we should be looking for when evaluating the Lagoons. Anything from trim, fit, wear, mechanical, electrical, etc.

Many thanks!

The Hudson's
Houston, TX
davhud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 07:40   #2

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Re: Advice for purchasing used Lagoon

Maybe stay out of the middle of that range, for certain years?

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ds-248854.html
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 07:43   #3
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Search threads on the Lagoon 450, 42, and 440. Specifically, the 450 commonly suffers from cracked bulkheads. If the boat has not been reinforced, you will need to budget for that.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ds-248854.html
Old 08-12-2021, 10:02   #4

Quite a big size range... A 50' will be a double the volume / displacement of a 40'. Not to mention 2x the price for similar age / condition.

IMHO the 2 things you should decide first are: size... then layout.

Do you need 4 cabins? If not, the more rare owner's versions would be preferable IMHO.

The most common travel lifts are 26 feet wide. Having a boat that fits (Beam) gives more options for haul outs. Important??... variable. But I wouldn't chose a boat 1 foot over when I was equally as happy with a boat 1 foot under...

Food for thought

Happy shopping!
MyCatLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 11:03   #5

Boat: L42

As mentioned above that's a HUGE range of size. Have you looked carefully at all of them? In my opinion you need to really focus in on a model or two and begin your search there. Other things to consider are budget and region. Are you wanting to purchase in the US? Caribbean? Europe? Where do you want to cruise?

A close friend is looking to purchase right now for an owners version in the med in the 40 ft range and they are amazingly hard to find. Many of the listed boats are already sold often within hours or a day or two. The primary reason to focus in on a model is that you will pretty much need to commit to buy BEFORE you actually get to the survey & sea trial or you will never actually get a contract on a desirable boat right now.

I personally would not consider many of the ex-charter boats out there. Look at engine hours for a clue. Best of Luck!
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 11:50   #6

check out Parlay Revival fixing bulkheads ALL lagoons

https://www.youtube.com/c/ParlayRevival/videos
Ivansgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 12:10   #7

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivansgarage View Post
check out Parlay Revival fixing bulkheads ALL lagoons

https://www.youtube.com/c/ParlayRevival/videos
Oh, you know all the Lagoons out there?

That statement is plain wrong. It may be true that ALL Lagoon 450 have or will have this particular issue but Lagoon has many models and many model years.

I can assure you that some Lagoons have their bulkheads fully tabbed in place, with glue used for furniture. Others have mostly glued bulkheads.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 12:39   #8

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Ivansgarage, it is statements like yours that should be banned from the internet. Some Lagoon 450's have had bulkhead issues, and it is a major deal. It is still a fairly small percentage of the 450's built (as of now). This issue is limited to the 450's and does not apply to any of the other Lagoon models. Lagoon clearly screwed up on this. Issue is that they drilled too many large holes too close together in some bulkheads comprising the structural integrity. It was a production issue, not a design issue.

I know several people who own 450's and only one has the bulkhead issue so maybe you should restrain yourself when making blanket statements. Something to be aware of, but not something to be afraid of. It is correctable, although not cheap to do so.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 12:42   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontide View Post
Ivansgarage, it is statements like yours that should be banned from the internet. Some Lagoon 450's have had bulkhead issues, and it is a major deal. It is still a fairly small percentage of the 450's built (as of now). This issue is limited to the 450's and does not apply to any of the other Lagoon models. Lagoon clearly screwed up on this. Issue is that they drilled too many large holes too close together in some bulkheads comprising the structural integrity. It was a production issue, not a design issue.

I know several people who own 450's and only one has the bulkhead issue so maybe you should restrain yourself when making blanket statements. Something to be aware of, but not something to be afraid of. It is correctable, although not cheap to do so.
check out parlays videos he was on a 52 ??? doors saging out of square, I could give a sh-t less what people buy..
Ivansgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 12:45   #10

Boat: 2019 Saona 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by davhud View Post
Hi group. My wife and I are considering the purchase of a 2015 or newer Lagoon 40-50'. We've started looking at several and would love some tips from the group with regards to key things we should be looking for when evaluating the Lagoons. Anything from trim, fit, wear, mechanical, electrical, etc.

Many thanks!

The Hudson's
Houston, TX
Give James and the guys over at ACY Texas a call. He is very knowledgable about the catamaran market and he is our area.

Pay specific attention to things such as standing rigging, routine maintenance records, water in the bilge etc. How the interior doors including cabinets and closets close is important. Also, if the boat has escape hatches that open and close, look closely for evidence of leaks.

When you find the boat you like, and if it is in our area, PM me and I'll give you the name and number of a couple of very good surveyors.

Full disclosure, we don't own a Lagoon. We ended up with a FP. However, the L42, L450 and L500 were on our short list.
HighTemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 12:59   #11

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
check out parlays videos he was on a 52 ??? doors saging out of square, I could give a sh-t less what people buy..
So what exactly do you know about Lagoons? I mean outside internet hearsay, youtube, facebook, etc
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 13:06   #12

Quote:
Then why, exactly, did you feel the need to spew ignorance here on the subject? You're either sincerely trying to help people, in which case you would only provide information on something you were well informed on, or you're trolling. Which is it in your case?
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 13:07   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTemp View Post
Pay specific attention to things such routine maintenance records, .
Again the blabbering of politicians.
If you find used boat in normal price rang,you simple have 5 minute look and buy or leave. Who have routine maintenance record,only charter boat in some shema
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 13:14   #14

Boat: MacGregor 25 & Lagoon 42

I'm sure you've heard this before - you might want to charter a couple of models to help you decide which one you really want. World of difference between them - especially when you're talking about buying one!

Let me know if you want to try an L42 - in the BVI and I'll give you a good deal on the charter.

Good Luck!

Keep Smiling!

-Peter
Timethief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 14:29   #15

Boat: CL14 #1179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontide View Post
It was a production issue, not a design issue.
single sheet plywood bulkheads, glued instead of glassed, thats a design problem.
Wilyum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, lagoon, purchasing