Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2021, 15:58   #16

Boat: Cal-40
Re: Advice for purchasing used Lagoon

Here is what you do. Go inside the Lagoon and you will see the overhead panels. These panels are held in place with plastic snaps so you can just pull lightly downward and they will come off. Now look at how the boat is really constructed and you will see that it was made from different molded peace’s that and NOT glassed together but rather they used an epoxy puddly glue. This is somewhat strong however...... it will not flex the same rate at the fiberglass so in time it cracks and the boat starts to fall appart. It’s really a sad thing, after all the lagoons are not cheap and they are indeed popular. But manufacturers cut corners here and after 8-10 years of use the owner is faced with some extensive repairs, of course the warranty it’s long past so it’s all on you. Now is this a vessel you want to invest in? Even the counters are somewhat like what you buy at IKEA, yes exactly like IKEA. In my opinion and I have delivered many Lagoons they are junk after ten years.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 17:09   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post
Again the blabbering of politicians.
If you find used boat in normal price rang,you simple have 5 minute look and buy or leave. Who have routine maintenance record,only charter boat in some shema
Not that it is all that common but I do know people that keep all their maintenance records but I won't disagree on this point.

But have a 5 minute look and buy or leave???? When you're talking about a half million dollar boat? I don't think so.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 18:05   #18

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilyum View Post
single sheet plywood bulkheads, glued instead of glassed, thats a design problem.
At least for the 45 with the cracked bulkheads, it is both a design and a construction problem, based on an evaluation of multiple pictures from many different boats and their construction, easily seen online.

I'd say Lagoon has the 'production' part down pretty good; 'production' where value is measured in profits for Beneteau and it's shareholders...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 04:42   #19

What does single sheet plywood mean?
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 04:52   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian Sea View Post
Here is what you do. Go inside the Lagoon and you will see the overhead panels. These panels are held in place with plastic snaps so you can just pull lightly downward and they will come off. Now look at how the boat is really constructed and you will see that it was made from different molded peace’s that and NOT glassed together but rather they used an epoxy puddly glue. This is somewhat strong however...... it will not flex the same rate at the fiberglass so in time it cracks and the boat starts to fall appart. It’s really a sad thing, after all the lagoons are not cheap and they are indeed popular. But manufacturers cut corners here and after 8-10 years of use the owner is faced with some extensive repairs, of course the warranty it’s long past so it’s all on you. Now is this a vessel you want to invest in? Even the counters are somewhat like what you buy at IKEA, yes exactly like IKEA. In my opinion and I have delivered many Lagoons they are junk after ten years.
And yet there are more un-repaired and yet perfectly usable Lagoons more than 10 years old in use around the world and many circumnavigating the world than any other cat. Listen, this idea you're trying to sell that every Lagoon needs structural repairs after 8-10 years is laughably inaccurate. If you've got something against Lagoons, and with the whole irrelevant discussion on IKEA furniture you clearly do, just don't buy one. But you have to ask yourself why you feel so strongly compelled to fabricate information to get whatever point you have across? Have you thought about what you're trying to accomplish and why, let alone about how ineffective gross exaggeration is in accomplishing anything except shooting down any credibility you might have?

BTW, I flew and then maintained a fleet of 100 thirty year old helicopters made largely of composite glued to aluminum. This armchair engineer theory you've worked up that glue flexes differently than fiberglass and thus is doomed to failure...apparently without even knowing the type of glue beyond "puddly", would be news to the real engineers who glue fiberglass in high stress, high vibration and flex environments every day.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 05:58   #21

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I’m not dissing Lagoons but why focus on just that brand or any brand? There’s lots of cats from lots of builders.
Old 09-12-2021, 14:09   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I’m not dissing Lagoons but why focus on just that brand or any brand? There’s lots of cats from lots of builders.
under 1 mil $ You have Lagoon, Nautitech,FP & Leopard . Other is soo ugly
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 14:15   #23
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevilleCat View Post
What does single sheet plywood mean?

Follow the links that have been provided. Then you will understand.
Old 12-12-2021, 04:49   #24

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
under 1 mil $ You have Lagoon, Nautitech,FP & Leopard . Other is soo ugly
There’s the newer Outremer 45, Seawind 1250/1260, Rapiers, And lots others that are not so ugly.
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 06:19   #25
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
There’s the newer Outremer 45, Seawind 1250/1260, Rapiers, And lots others that are not so ugly.
Seawind 1250/1260 is so ugly,like some Proud Bogan design boat.
this is waste material in use. If you want something nice pay Italian for the design.

look this,who want this and you must pay for this.

Outremer 45 is nice
Old 12-12-2021, 06:23   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontide View Post
Ivansgarage, it is statements like yours that should be banned from the internet. Some Lagoon 450's have had bulkhead issues, and it is a major deal. It is still a fairly small percentage of the 450's built (as of now). This issue is limited to the 450's and does not apply to any of the other Lagoon models. Lagoon clearly screwed up on this. Issue is that they drilled too many large holes too close together in some bulkheads comprising the structural integrity. It was a production issue, not a design issue.

I know several people who own 450's and only one has the bulkhead issue so maybe you should restrain yourself when making blanket statements. Something to be aware of, but not something to be afraid of. It is correctable, although not cheap to do so.
Your statement may be true but, is it worth the risk considering that thete are many other brands available that have no structural issues. ?
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 08:23   #27
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
this is waste material in use. If you want something nice pay Italian for the design.

Outremer 45 is nice

I find the Seawind’s attractive boats and have paid for them before. Not only are they attractive, they sail well, are well built and I like the layouts. Win win.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 12:04   #28

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:

Outremer 45 is nice
Hmmm, the Seawind was Cruising World BOTY in 2019, there's a two year wait for a new build.

If you want to compare 45 ft catamarans, that would be the Seawind 1370. Not sure that hull number 1 has even splashed yet (any day). But last I heard the wait for that model was 5-6 years.

And I like Outremer's. But I'm also on our second Seawind ownership. Judging from the sales numbers alone, your view is not widely shared.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 13:24   #29

Boat: L42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post

Hmmm, the Seawind was Cruising World BOTY in 2019, there's a two year wait for a new build.

If you want to compare 45 ft catamarans, that would be the Seawind 1370. Not sure that hull number 1 has even splashed yet (any day). But last I heard the wait for that model was 5-6 years.

And I like Outremer's. But I'm also on our second Seawind ownership. Judging from the sales numbers alone, your view is not widely shared.
The biggest problem with the 1370 is that its really closer to a $Million Dollar yacht and who knows what the price will be in 5 years, I can't imagine waiting that long if I wanted a new Cat.

Seawind has had a hole in their lineup forever and I was very hopeful the 1370 would be just right. I had a chance to buy one of the first few builds but it still would late 2022 or early 2023 at best and like I said, close to or above $1 Mil. Too much for my budget.
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 13:44   #30
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post

Are you blind . Look this boat from side. like some child make line for this boat.

Tags
Advice, lagoon, purchasing