Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2014, 06:25   #1

Boat: Van de Stadt 44 #393 Aluminium
Thumbs up Adequate model for a couple to circumnavigate

Hello CruisersForum friends, I am looking for a boat for circumnavigating. My plans are to buy the boat at most by mid-15, prepare the boat and get to know it better living aboard it from mid-15 till mid-16 and them depart to our dream trip.

There will be just 2 full time crew, me and my Admiral and wife Natalie. We are still evaluating on taking our two Labrador Retrievers or leaving them with my brother, as I have found out lots of difficulties to get them in some countries, and specially quarantine seems a really non-human procedure (and they are more human them some humans out there).

We expect to receive family and friends visits, as well as recruit crew for some worst passages if we evaluate needed, but usually will be sailing single handed with Admiral support when needed.

After research and evaluation we decided for Catamarans, due to many reasons you all are aware of - the Admiral made final decision. Now we are looking for a boat. I have ended up loving Lagoons 380, 410 and TPI Laggons 37 and 42.

I am looking to invest between 150k˜250k on the boat, and from my search it would be enough to get early 00s 380/410 and get it ready, or older TPI models.

1. What would you suggest we focus on our search? (TPI models do need more investment on fitting them for modern electronics and some refitting, while modern 380/410 are usually referred as not as rocky-solid built as TPI models).

2. How much should I forecast to spend in regular monthly maintenance? (Not considering any accident or unpredicted event, like damages from a storm, grounding etc).

I appreciate your knowledge sharing and I am willing to learn from your experience to advance on my journey's forecast. Thank you, Gus
gtpinhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 15:00   #2

Boat: Lagoon 450, Bavaria Vision 40
Re: Adequate model for a couple to circumnavigate

Some of our experiences doing something similar.
We have been over the last 24 months living on our Lagoon 450 for 16 months. Friends of mine have just purchased a used L420 after doing the Atlantic crossing with us in December 2012. Both of us have been mono-hullers before. For living aboard, IMHO, only a catamaran will do. Great choice by your admiral. I can not give you information on the cost as we did not track them. If you stay out of marinas, then the cost is quite low.

This is what we have done to be independent and reduce weight and maintenance.
- installed 1880W of solar
- 6x300W ET-solar $270 each
- two Outback FX60 charge controller for 3 panels each
Covers all our power needs. No generator to maintain and carry around. They can be a real head ache.

Water maker - Spectra Newport 400 for low power consumption
Washing Machine - LG
Victron Multi-Plus 3000 inverter/charger
Changed the 840Ah lead-acid batteries for 1400Ah LiFePo batteries
roetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 17:49   #3

Thanks Roetter, it seems the extra solar panels and batteries do pay off specially by not having to worry about engine headaches

Last four years I have been living in Brasília and only sailing my small Flash 165 on the Paranoá river I did enjoy the sensation of sailing without an engine at all, something I haven't had for many years as there would would always been someone desiring to turn on the generator or engine for something.

No engine sensation is great, although in cruising it seems necessary at least for backup.

I Appreciate your contributions. Are you just a couple sailing the 450?
Old 20-01-2014, 20:10   #4

Boat: Lagoon 450, Bavaria Vision 40
Yes, just the two of us. So mostly me. Electric winches though. We have done a few Multi-day crossings with just the two, but have had friends help us crossing the Atlantic.
roetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 07:34   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by roetter View Post
Yes, just the two of us. So mostly me. Electric winches though. We have done a few Multi-day crossings with just the two, but have had friends help us crossing the Atlantic.
I`m sure the electric winches help! I will probably be following your tracks, just we two and friends/family visiting (hopefully) sometimes.

Cheers!
Old 27-01-2014, 13:33   #6

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka

We sail the 380, wife and me, but so fare only for weekends and holidays, but i also sail it single-handed, for many days, No problem.
And it is a Solid good boat.

Lagoon 380 Careka
careka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2014, 18:31   #7

Boat: Lagoon 400

I've sailed both the 380 and 410. The 380 had better use of space, while the 410 better performance and comfort in larger seas. For serious crossings I would lean towards the 410. Never sailed a TPI but see many out there. Any of these boats will work.

I suggest chartering your finalist, even though not possible for a TPI. Narrow down to a couple models then look for the best deal.
pathlesschosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 09:28   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck

In your budget range the 410 or the TPI 42 are both excellent choices. The TPI you will probably have to update but they come at a lower cost. The boat sails great and is easy to manage for a couple with the seft tacking genoa. We have the 410 and have been living aboard and cruising for over a year now. It's just the two of us the 410 fits us well and the wife feels at home on the boat. Both of these are better choices then the 380 for a circumnavigation. Not to say that the 380 is a bad boat, but the extra storage and galley space alone on the 410/TPI make them a better choice..JMHO
Old 30-01-2014, 09:51   #9

My guess is any of those boats in that budget will require updates, so make a list of all the things you HAVE to have. Then find the right boat. Alot of things go bad after 10 years, a 20 year old baot may have them already updated... just depends.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 10:55   #10
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Diesel Duck sail assisted
Nordhavn incl MS model
Kadey-Krogen
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 11:16   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid at SailAway View Post
In your budget range the 410 or the TPI 42 are both excellent choices. The TPI you will probably have to update but they come at a lower cost. The boat sails great and is easy to manage for a couple with the seft tacking genoa. We have the 410 and have been living aboard and cruising for over a year now. It's just the two of us the 410 fits us well and the wife feels at home on the boat. Both of these are better choices then the 380 for a circumnavigation. Not to say that the 380 is a bad boat, but the extra storage and galley space alone on the 410/TPI make them a better choice..JMHO
Thank you Sid at SailAway, storage is just what leads me towards the bigger boats, and many people also report they are slightly better on rougher seas and in terms of performance (although performance is not what I am looking as I am going cruising).

Lack of sail drives led me to TPIs, but I had just found a 410 from the original owner, which although slightly old, seems to be in great condition. I will meet the owner tomorrow for dinner prior to traveling to check on the boat.
Old 30-01-2014, 12:23   #12
Marine Service Provider

What year is the 410? Let me know if I can answer any questions you may have about the boat. I can also use my access to Soldboats to let you know if his price is in the ballpark...

Sid
Old 11-02-2014, 21:53   #13

Boat: Robertson & Caine Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid at SailAway View Post
What year is the 410? Let me know if I can answer any questions you may have about the boat. I can also use my access to Soldboats to let you know if his price is in the ballpark...

Sid
Sid....we are looking at Lagoon 380 Owners versions in the 2000 - 2003 years....non chartered....any recent sales to give some idea of realistic price range ?

Thanks
Kevin
Makena05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:33   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makena05 View Post
Sid....we are looking at Lagoon 380 Owners versions in the 2000 - 2003 years....non chartered....any recent sales to give some idea of realistic price range ?

Thanks
Kevin

Kevin, sent you a PM..

Tags
model