Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2016, 13:12   #1

Boat: Lagoon 42
AC retro-fit in a 400 Lagoon

We are tossing around the idea of installing AC in the two hulls of our 400. We have an owners version. We are thinking that we'd like to cool down the two sides each evening before bed time. Not running all the time. We never are on a dock so will need to run off our 7.5 kW generator.

Any input on how to do this and with what AC equipment? Anyone done this before? Photo's? We're in Grenada now and will head north by fall. Any recommendation on where and who to do the install?

Thanks for any ideas and help!

Craig

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
AZ_Zoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 14:29   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: AC retro-fit in a 400 Lagoon

I don't know a Lagoon, but package unit AC's are plentiful, I have had very good luck with Webasto, but there are several.
I think I would go with 16,000 btu units as they seem to be the most common and would maybe take four, one in each hull and I'd assume two in the Salon, I saw two as I assume a large heat load from those large windows. My 16K Webasto pulls 11 amps, with a 7.5 KW gen and I believe 50 amps service, you won't have a problem I don't think.

Now that is just my guess, but I think one 16K would likely cool a hull, if running ductwork is too hard, you could go with twin 8K's.
Installing a package unit is so easy, except for the thru hull, it is DIY in my opinion, I installed two in my Mono hull, one 16 and one 5K, but I am only a 30 amp boat too with half your generator capacity

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 15:19   #3

Boat: Lagoon 42

That does look like very do-able for a do it yourself project with the exception of the thruhull. Do you think there would be an issue with t-ing into an existing thruhull for the cooling water source? It would be the same source as my generator.

How loud are units like this? I have a closet that it would fit perfectly in. Real nice for running a single duct out to the owners suit area.

Thanks for the info.

Craig
AZ_Zoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 15:40   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I can't speak to sharing a thru hull, I don't know why not, but it seems to be frowned upon, I assume if it was big enough, why not multiple users?
Noise wise it really depends on where it's located, I sleep directly on top of one and can only hear the sound of the air coming out of the vent, I assume the mattress dampens any sound, the other is directly behind the Settee's back, the back cushion agains dampens any noise, you only hear the air coming from the vent. The Webastos seem a little quieter, my old unit I could hear it's compressor hum and start and stop, but it wasn't loud. I replaced it with the Webasto as it was getting old and I didn't like the thermostat, I'm spoiled I want to set a temp not turn a knob with no way of knowing temp.
Running the duct work is in my opinion the hardest part, you have to cut large holes for the duct work and of course add ducts or registers, a package unit is literally held down by clips on the pan, run 120VAC to it, wire the water pump and plumb water to it and another thru hull for the water exit, connect the duct and install the thermostat and your done.
Water pump is not self priming and therefore must be under the water line of course.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 23:01   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Run a separate thru hull and strainer for each one. Buy self contained units if you can, no freon to have to screw with. We put Aqua Air units in ours. Better units than the Dometic brands (marine air and cruise air). This is not a real difficult DIY project.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 20:37   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Zoner View Post
We are tossing around the idea of installing AC in the two hulls of our 400.
Definitely do-able. It depends on what other equipment may have been installed on your boat in the places designed for AC units.

Do you really need it? More through hull fittings, more weight and complication. If you need AC, it's a godsend, if not, it's a PITA.

One of the best pieces of advise we got about equipment upgrades is to live on the boat for a while before deciding what it is that you really do need.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 06:13   #7

Boat: Lagoon 400 S2

I own a 400 S2, hull number 443. We took delivery June 12 2015 and had a generator, Mastervolt Ultra and 3 x Dometic 18k units fitted post delivery, this was in order to save money against the factory price. Each unit had a 'soft start' fitted to avoid a spike in current draw when starting, the air pipes were essentially fitted in the same place as the factory would.
We arrived in Spain end of August 2015 and used the cool air when required, during the winter in Cartagena we used the warm air for short periods when getting up some mornings. I was on the boat during the fitting process which was helpful because I learn a lot about where various voids are. In regard to through hulls, I would recommend dedicated through hulls; we had a small one on the Port side and a larger one on the Starboard side (Stb side took water for both saloon and St AC units.
Any questions please email.

Tags
lagoon