Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2015, 01:16   #91

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Re: 6,000M Lagoon 400 S2 review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottster View Post
I now have a handle on the secret cupboard.Attachment 104243
Now its no longer secret...

What about a snap lock where you push on the door to close and push again to open? IKEA sells these
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 05:01   #92

Great review Monte.

You touched on some comparisons with the L380 (S2?) which you previously owned. I'd be interested to hear a little more on your perspective between the L400 v L380, mostly sailing characteristics (L400 is considerably heavier with only a modest increase in sail area on the L380) and living aboard. I'm sure the L400 is better in most departments. But I wonder if there is anything you miss from the L380?
Telstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 07:11   #93
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Hi Tel, thanks. As far as sailing, both are very similar and both very easy to sail single handed. Everything can be handled from the helm and the sail sizes are easy to handle on both. I feel the L400 performs better in most situations although it's hard to make real comparisons in different conditions on different days, but we tend to see a lot more regular sailing at around 8-9kn boat speed than we did on the L380, but then we have had much better consistent wind in the Caribbean than in the Med. We usually passage plan at 6kn for both. The L400 feels like it drives through waves a bit more rather than hobbyhorse, but this isn't a big problem with the 380, just slightly different.
There were 3 main reasons we originally went for the L380 instead of the L400
First I was concerned with running costs, haul outs, marinas, bottom paint, storage etc. These have turned out to be exactly the same costs as marinas generally charge a rate for 11-12m so they're both in the same price range. Occasionally a marina will charge at LxW area but that is rare. Same goes for haul outs, usually 11-12m is the same rate. Painting and storage is about the same as well. One difference is insurance which is around $1000/annum more expensive for the more expensive L400
Secondly I preferred the sliding helm hatch on the L380 as a good quick way to keep out the rain and ascetics . After sailing both the L400 is much more practical with the fully enclosed Bimini. Night sailing is warmer and dryer and safer, but I still don't particularly like the look of tents on top of catamarans. I also liked the fact that the L380 had been tried and tested and refined for over 15 years.
Thirdly, Jen preferred the L380, which finalised the decision between the two. Maybe the main reason was she liked the seat in the shower of the owners version, or that it seemed like better access for our dog with lower freeboard... I'm pretty sure she prefers the L400 now for the additional storage and spaces and larger galley.
Both models treated us very well and I would recommend either depending on your particular situation.
For myself, in point form, some of the things I prefer about the L400 are:
Walk around cockpit, no need to walk on table and chairs
Bimini mounted main sheet
Additional living space, storage space and payload
Square furniture with inside and outside couches you can sleep on underway in more comfort
Slightly better performance and sea motion
More galley storage and workspace
More modern design and construction, with headlining and timber throughout (less flow coat and gel coat interior surfaces)
More space for guests
Para sailor in lue of gennaker
Standard hatches with sliding screens

I'm sure there's more things but that's the basics. Most are not major concerns and we would be happy living on and sailing either model.

Monte
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 07:52   #94

That's a very useful and informative comparison Monte.

Telstarr
Telstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 20:46   #95

Best, most in depth, yacht review I have read.
Well done and thanks for taking the time.
The 400 may well be my next yacht and a lot of that comes down to your review.
Cheers
bruceinOz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 400