Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2017, 12:41   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450
450F Galley Fridge Replacement

Our factory installed galley fridge has rusted through after 5 years of service and it is time to replace. I had seen in one of the threads here some comments from those who had either opted for a different option at purchase or who had changed out the factory installed fridge after delivery. After searching I cannot find the threads so I am hoping for some advice on make and model that are a good fit for the space in a 2012 L450F.

We have been looking at the Vitifrigo stainless two drawer as an option.

Thanks in advance.
Dean
Catopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 17:26   #2

Re: 450F Galley Fridge Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catopia View Post
Our factory installed galley fridge has rusted through after 5 years of service and it is time to replace. I had seen in one of the threads here some comments from those who had either opted for a different option at purchase or who had changed out the factory installed fridge after delivery. After searching I cannot find the threads so I am hoping for some advice on make and model that are a good fit for the space in a 2012 L450F.

We have been looking at the Vitifrigo stainless two drawer as an option.

Thanks in advance.
Dean
Watching with interest if there is one thing I hate about my L450 it is the rubbish, Italian designed in mid 50's refrigeration, that needs to be defrosted every 4 weeks in the tropics.

Also dealing with the condensation running out of and rotting away the cupboard bottoms. I have sealed the inside to stop the wood getting wet. Steve450 has just totally wrapped the outside of the refrigerator in foil backed insulux insulation, waiting to see if that helps at all.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 19:26   #3
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
Watching with interest if there is one thing I hate about my L450 it is the rubbish, Italian designed in mid 50's refrigeration, that needs to be defrosted every 4 weeks in the tropics.

Also dealing with the condensation running out of and rotting away the cupboard bottoms. I have sealed the inside to stop the wood getting wet. Steve450 has just totally wrapped the outside of the refrigerator in foil backed insulux insulation, waiting to see if that helps at all.
I am not a fan of my 2 Italian vitrifrigo but they are not as bad as your description. My friends however on their brand new L450S have the same problems you describe. That's happening here in the caribbean. I am thinking about switching mine to 230VAC house appliances as explained in this thread: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...dc-181534.html
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 14:31   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rom View Post
I am not a fan of my 2 Italian vitrifrigo but they are not as bad as your description.
I'll respectfully disagree and add "overpriced and unreliable" to "inefficient and leaky".

The Vitrifrigo fridges and similar products of different brands are easy and convenient to install. The lack of insulation thickness makes them seem space efficient. They also have a sort of global service network. That's probably why Lagoon installs them. In mild climates, such as in Europe they probably function satisfactorily. Not so in tropical climates.

During a bout of brain fade I installed yet another one of these "Italian Wonders" in my L400 cockpit. (It has gained this nickname as we wonder whether or not it will cool at all, or freeze everything.) Why? Well, it was easy and convenient. As well, I wasn't thinking.

A better solution? A custom fibreglassed foam cabinet fitted with a 12v eutectic refrigeration unit such as the Ozefridge.
Ozefridge | 12 Volt Eutectic Refrigeration
On my Lagoon this cabinet would need to removable and situated under the galley bench, where currently 2 Italian wonders reside.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 19:39   #5
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
I'll respectfully disagree and add "overpriced and unreliable" to "inefficient and leaky".
Me saying that my Vitrifrigo are not as bad as some have reported does not mean I am happy with them ! on the contrary, and that is the reason why I am about to change them for 230VAC house appliances. I will not even be looking at other alternative marine solutions like the OZ link you provided. Thanks for your sharing your experience which confirms I am making a good choice !
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 20:02   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie;2349040

A better solution? A custom fibreglassed foam cabinet fitted with a 12v eutectic refrigeration unit such as the Ozefridge.
[url=http://www.ozefridge.com.au/
Ozefridge | 12 Volt Eutectic Refrigeration[/url]
On my Lagoon this cabinet would need to removable and situated under the galley bench, where currently 2 Italian wonders reside.
I agree and installed 2 Ozefridge units in the Galley for proper freezing and long term storage

But I think convenience is also important, so I installed the Indel 2 drawer fridge in the pilothouse.. Fridge/Freezer model

On hindsight, I should have just bought the Fridge/Fridge model as the Freezer is too weak to freeze well in the tropics

https://www.indelwebastomarine.com/u...60-inox-light/
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 13:22   #7

Quote: "On hindsight, I should have just bought the Fridge/Fridge model as the Freezer is too weak to freeze well in the tropics.

My $2,100 AUD Nova Kool freezer after install kept half melting our ice cream.

So called out the warranty repair guy, the conversation was something like.

Repair guy: "Oh you want to keep Ice cream in there, it needs to be -18 deg C or lower, so you have to turn it all the way down."

Me: "If I do that it never turns off, just runs constantly"

Repair guy: "Yeah but you ice cream will stay firm, so it is working OK"

I am still putting up with this over priced bit of rubbish, that needs defrosting every 4 weeks.

Old 27-03-2017, 03:26   #8

Boat: Lagoon 450

Another one of my L450 projects to pass the time was fridge improvement. The airflow around the freezer and outside 'beer' fridge condenser units were woeful. For the freezer I opened up more air outlets, including two big hole above that allowed airflow up and past the TV area. The outside fridge condenser cooling fan blew against the back wall so NO circulation. So I cut some very big holes and I also had the front door 'routed' with air outlets at the top.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_90d.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	144031   Click image for larger version

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_97f.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	144032  

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_908.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	144033   Click image for larger version

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_918.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	144034  

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_980.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	144035   Click image for larger version

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_987.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	144036  

DavefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 05:52   #9

We have Vitrofrigio door fridges in the saloon and galley still going well after 6 years (so far). The condensate is captured in the base and has a tube that runs down to the bilge. I put a carbon filter on this to stop fridge smells invading the bilge (blue cheese). We occasionally need to defrost as freezer gets too iced up for its door to close properly - not a big hassle for a tiny freezer. On our previous boat the same model VF lasted 10 years.

We are onto our second main freezer, an AC/DC Isotherm, out in the cockpit, the original lasted 5 years before compressor failure. I have covered the top and sides of this new unit with insulation foil and cut some more breathing holes as it runs almost all the time in the day keeping stuff frozen, it is energy hungry, but we like having a convenient freezer. In the tropics, the 5 solar panels are sufficient to keep the charge up most of the time.

Our best Fridge Freezer however was an ICEER Chest type, on the previous boat, it was very efficient, and was still going strong after 15 years.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:47   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post

The Vitrifrigo fridges and similar products of different brands are easy and convenient to install. The lack of insulation thickness makes them seem space efficient. They also have a sort of global service network. That's probably why Lagoon installs them. In mild climates, such as in Europe they probably function satisfactorily. Not so in tropical climates.

During a bout of brain fade I installed yet another one of these "Italian Wonders" in my L400 cockpit. (It has gained this nickname as we wonder whether or not it will cool at all, or freeze everything.) Why? Well, it was easy and convenient. As well, I wasn't thinking.

Ozefridge | 12 Volt Eutectic Refrigeration
I strongly agree with this post.

Why do boat manufacturers put these front loading poorly insulated refrigerators on there boats. First of all no one has mentioned there power consumption on these non functioning units in the tropics. They must understand that most of there boats are going to be heading to very warm tropical climates.

Also the manufactures design there cabinetry around these fridges and this makes it very difficult to install a proper top loading fridge and freezer with adequate insulation,(R30) and a proper well ventilated 12v condensing unit that would actually perform in the tropics .

This is not new , we all know what works and what doesn't .

Regards John.
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 00:25   #11

Good Friday 2017 was spent pulling out and reinstalling two of our 5 refrigeration devices on board. Currently we have
2 x Vitrifrigo (Italian) OEM.
1 x Waeco 80 lt Vertical (Asian) OEM.
1 x Waeco 65 (Asian) portable added fridge/freezer.
1 x Nova Kool Freezer (Canadian) added.

Today we attack the 80lt Waeco our out side drinks fridge and the best of all the units except for the Waeco portable.

Followed by the Vitrifrigo (AKA The Mushroom Farm as we now know it) mounted in the same unit as the TV.

80lt Waeco

Removed from the cabinet, exposing the high tech insulation used on the outside surfaces. Recognise the material?

Black Plastic core flute board used by sign and display companies the world over for signs not as insulation.

Master Insulator (Steve Plum from Clear Horizons) works while the mere mortal watches on. The Waeco drinks fridge gets an Insulation upgrade 7mm foam with Gold foil on the inside and Silver on the outside. Apparently it makes a difference.

The finished fridge prior to re-install. The back of compartment and side into the adjacent cupboard already had ventilation holes cut by Lagoon that were not in Steve's boat, built some 200 units before mine. I also cut a 90 mm hole directly above the compressor to vent into the void above.

Vitrifrigo 130 fridge (AKA The Mushroom Farm)

This was the main problem and the first attempted fix after water was seeping out of the floor joint, involved using thick plastic to line the cabinet to allow water to come out the front and not soak into cabinet.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Loui Pastor would have a field day in there.

The mushroom farm exposed.

The fungus is growing in the hole I cut prior to the Plastic install to vent the lower space and dry out.

The back of the VirofrigomushroomOh the discolored area is where in the past large lumps of ice have grown externally on the back of the fridge. When you defrost the inside, this would melt into the woodwork. Water would also condense on the cold outer surface and just run down into cupboard.

So, same plan as the Waeco add more insulation on the outside, so the cold stays inside and the hot damp air on the outside does not condense or freeze on the outside of the refrigerator.

The back area received a few layers of off-cuts to try to stop the ice build up on the outside (see discolored area above). Thus eliminating the precursor to the Lagoon, free of charge mushroom farm. I hope.

Thanks for all the help, advice and encouragement from (Steve450).

Will attack the other Vitrifrigo next all though this has never shown much water other than condensate on the front door also has not been removed since being built. I look forward to a pleasant surprise, but my hopes are not high.

Old 14-04-2017, 02:04   #12

Boat: Lagoon 50

Thanks for sharing.
warren460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 05:49   #13

Boat: 450S

I can see the problem with the cockpit fridge, it had XXXX Gold in it...

Thanks for the photos I will do something similar to mine as summer approaches here in Dubai. I have the same water issue from condensate on the doors.
Pascals Wager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 20:52   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascals Wager View Post
I can see the problem with the cockpit fridge, it had XXXX Gold in it...
Ah, now it has been revealed; the genius of Italian fidge design! Insuation so thin that you can see the beer inside the fridge. However, Paul's beer would get as cold on the outside of the fridge as inside.

Good work fellas, and thanks for sharing. I'm sure it will make a big difference. Adding such a small amout of extra quality insulation and making a noticeable difference highlights how poor the original insulation in the fridges is. Imagine how they would operate if properly insulated with 100mm to 150mm of quality insulation foam?
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 22:10   #15

Boat: 450S

Ha...they are pretty thin but you can see the offending cans stacked in the background of one of the photos. Any beer in a storm though
Pascals Wager is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley, men