Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2015, 12:32   #1

Boat: Lagoon 440
440 (Current) vs 450 (Possible Future)

Hello all -

I've 100% enjoyed our 440 (95) for three years and am getting ready for a long-term sail. A few positive things have happened that have pushed off our launch date - and during this time used 450s have come on the market that are within our budget.

My question to the amazing people on this forum... especially people who have sailed both.... What are the major differences between sailing and maintaining these two boats? We are looking at one this week and have open eyes. BTW... so much more fun looking at our second Lagoon as this time we have a better understanding of what we are looking at.

My list - only from what I've read and bar talk - follows:

440+
Lighter
A little faster under sail
Faster with the 54 HP engines
Great layout
Love the long kitchen counter

440-
Our boat is a 2006 model so the maintenance curve is going up a little

450+
Gorgeous layout
Components are newer
Interior is brighter
Love the areas to lounge for the guests
Bathrooms - especially the master - look great

450-
I don't like the access to the bridge on starboard side... looks like a lot of water can come down
Steps are steeper on the scoop - we sit on our 440 and put on fins...drink 40s... maybe the photos make them look smaller than they actually are
I don't see any hatches on the roof of the salon
solecollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 02:26   #2
TOT

Boat: Lagoon 450
440 (Current) vs 450 (Possible Future)

Hello Solecollector
The Lagoon 440 is a great boat as is the Lagoon 450, l am sure given time the reputation of the L450 will be as good as the L440.

The L450 flybridge is well protected in bad weather with the covers down.

There are I hatches on the salon room only two frontal windows.

Good luck with the shopping.

SV TOT 😃
Wayne
Old 12-09-2015, 09:36   #3

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: 440 (Current) vs 450 (Possible Future)

Thanks for the reply TOT.

I went up to Fort Lauderdale Marine Center and they just happened to have a 450 right next to two 440s.... was the perfect storm for me to compare these two...!

Hands down... that new cockpit is SWEET! I don't like the sink missing but the rest... crazy nice.

Access to the back of the boat is way more open.

The helm is in a better position (to the side) and it has more room.

The sun bed in front of the helm is perfect.

Getting off the dingy and onto the transom is way nicer with that cutout edge as well as the outside step.

The guest bathrooms.... come on man - this is how it should be! Separate shower is super nice and is the difference between explaining to land lubbers why they are taking a shower next to the toilet and say - "here is the bathroom and the shower" and leaving it at that.

The seating is less restrictive in the salon.

The amount of open space with the smaller window slid open by the kitchen.. damn..... that feels nice.

The windows were larger (didn't have the pillar as often).

The placement of the genest.... yes....!

Storage... way more...

I like that big kitchen counter in the.

No ceiling hatches in the salon of the 450... 440 has two that we have open a lot.

Maybe I'm just old school but I like the rounded corners throughout the interior.

I feel like the cockpit of the 440 makes one feel like they are inside the boat which in heavy weather might be nice.

Bottom line for me (without sailing her).... 450 is super nice. Okay - most people would say because it is new / upgraded - of course it would be nice. No doubt it is... but the 440 has a special quality that I can't put my finger on. Maybe it will take time to get used to the 450 lighter interior / design philosophy. For the upgrade cost unsure it makes sense this second.... but looking down the road... hmmmm.....
solecollector is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
current