Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2018, 04:25   #16

Boat: Lagoon 46F
Send a message via Skype™ to spvisd
Re: 2019 Lagoon 460F ordered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedindubai View Post
Any plan that involves a lot of beer is indeed a very good plan!
If you guys get in the area of Barcelona let me know and I will hook you up!
Old 28-11-2018, 05:28   #17

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by spvisd View Post
If you guys get in the area of Barcelona let me know and I will hook you up!
Well Barca is on our list and only 24hrs North of Ibiza so we'll probably head that way in March... once I've got my new Code Zero.
Old 28-11-2018, 05:49   #18

Quote:
Well Barca is on our list and only 24hrs North of Ibiza so we'll probably head that way in March... once I've got my new Code Zero.
Have you found any good places in EU that I can order boating gear (lines, fenders, mast harness, life raft, etc etc? Planning to just order a ton of stuff and have it shipped to brewery and pick it up while I am there. I will be in Barcelona in March hopeful we can grab a beer together. Let me know how happy you are with the code zero when you receive it. I'm ordering the rigging for the code zero but was advised to source the actual sail elsewhere Cheers -Scott
Old 28-11-2018, 05:59   #19

Deal.
I didn't get an option to choose either Code Zero rigging or Spinnaker rigging. What I received was a single fall halyard which I now know isn't suitable for the tension needed for a code zero so check they give you the double fall.
Regarding your question, I have no idea sorry. I'm finding it quite hard to get stuff myself and often end up buying in the UK and flying it over myself when I travel. I'm sure there will be an easier option close enough to Barcelona tho. Try the Lagoon Facebook group. They are very helpful.
Old 28-11-2018, 09:10   #20

Congratulations Scott!
Old 28-11-2018, 13:21   #21
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Congratulations Scott..

I did the Med 4 times from Gibraltar to the other side (well until Turkey..) and Atlantic twice. The Med is just beatiful and I believe you shoudn't rush to the other side of Atlantic so soon. The Med is not only Barcelona; Adriatic, Greece, Turkey , Baleirics, Sicily are not to miss. Yes, you might come back later but it's a long way, once you are here why not first enjoying it and then move to Caribbean and Florida ? Anyway, for sailing The Med is much more challenging than the Atlantic. If you still plan to go direct to Florida with a trade winds, the only relatively risky part would be Bay of Biscayne. Once you reach Cabo Finestre, the rest will be much easier. If I were you and wouldn't feel comfortable, I would hire someone and spend couple of days in Bay Biscayne or hire him till Lisbon or Canaries.
The rest will be easy , don't worry..

Good luck

Yeloya
Old 29-11-2018, 05:42   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANJOKA View Post
Congratulations Scott!
Thank you! So much to learn and plan enjoying the process.
Old 29-11-2018, 06:01   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
Congratulations Scott..

I did the Med 4 times from Gibraltar to the other side (well until Turkey..) and Atlantic twice. The Med is just beatiful and I believe you shoudn't rush to the other side of Atlantic so soon. The Med is not only Barcelona; Adriatic, Greece, Turkey , Baleirics, Sicily are not to miss. Yes, you might come back later but it's a long way, once you are here why not first enjoying it and then move to Caribbean and Florida ? Anyway, for sailing The Med is much more challenging than the Atlantic. If you still plan to go direct to Florida with a trade winds, the only relatively risky part would be Bay of Biscayne. Once you reach Cabo Finestre, the rest will be much easier. If I were you and wouldn't feel comfortable, I would hire someone and spend couple of days in Bay Biscayne or hire him till Lisbon or Canaries.
The rest will be easy , don't worry..

Good luck

Yeloya
Hi Yeloya,

Thank you for taking the time to share your advice, it is much appreciated. I will hire a captain from France to, at minimum, Gibraltar and then from Canaries to St. Lucia. Previously, the Med was not high on my list, but it has been recommended so much that it is now. I'm taking several years off for this adventure so I'm heading back to the Med, for sure, and then who knows where.

Getting back to Florida and the Caribbean initially allows me to be in more familiar waters and weather but most importantly give my friends and family easy access. In an hour or two you can get to just about anywhere in the Caribbean from Florida. I'm single so no full-time sailing partner and this gives my friends, who are still working for the most part and have less flexible schedules, the opportunity to join in the fun. Also, my company in Florida designs power systems for the military so I have access to some high end solar and Lithium battery technology which I'd like to incorporate into the boat. Proximity to Ft. Lauderdale provides me easy access for repairs and power upgrades. I'm figuring by hurricane season 2020 I will head back to the Med. That's just my current plan always subject to change

Cheers - Scott
Old 03-12-2018, 10:00   #24

Quote:
Deal.
I didn't get an option to choose either Code Zero rigging or Spinnaker rigging. What I received was a single fall halyard which I now know isn't suitable for the tension needed for a code zero so check they give you the double fall.
l.
Dave,
I'm curious, what makes you think that the halyard you have isn't suitable for the tension needed to have a code0 (on the spinnaker halyard provided by Lagoon)?
Did you talk to a rigger? A sailmaker?

While it seems lagoon get you a 2:1 halyard if you chose the code 0 option and a single line for the spinnaker option, has anyone put a clear number of the tension required and the impact of the type of halyard rope to chose if going single. Or what exactly is the type and diameter of the spinnaker halyard provided by default by lagoon (dynema or not, how much breaking strength).
Old 03-12-2018, 11:01   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-reel View Post
Dave,
I'm curious, what makes you think that the halyard you have isn't suitable for the tension needed to have a code0 (on the spinnaker halyard provided by Lagoon)?
Did you talk to a rigger? A sailmaker?

While it seems lagoon get you a 2:1 halyard if you chose the code 0 option and a single line for the spinnaker option, has anyone put a clear number of the tension required and the impact of the type of halyard rope to chose if going single. Or what exactly is the type and diameter of the spinnaker halyard provided by default by lagoon (dynema or not, how much breaking strength).
I'm not sure but I expect I leaned it the same place I got the rest of my sailing knowledge... this forum!

I've also done plenty more reading about the subject and it's fairly typical to have much more tension on a code zero halyard. You want that luff as tight and straight as possible. I'm ordering 70m of 12mm dyneema for the new 2:1 halyard.
Old 04-12-2018, 17:49   #26

Our reaching sail is called a gennaker (looks like a code 0, but maybe not as flat) it was a factory option in 2011 - 1130 sq ft - came with a single 1:1 halyard 12mm spectra. We have raced a 2016 Lagoon that had an Ullman laminate code 0 built aftermarket with a 2:1 halyard. He had a head start. We passed him downwind - so obviously the 2:1 halyard sucks.. Mind you his crisp new sails assisted him to catch us upwind. We run our 2000 sq ft symmetric on the same halyard.
Old 04-12-2018, 22:43   #27

Hi Scott,

I've now done quite a bit of research regarding Code Zeros and as you're going to have a jib, I think a really decent furling headsail that you can use in up to 20kts would be a very good investment indeed.

I've been talking to lofts and have received quotes for sails ranging in size from 80m2 to 95m2 all made from tri laminate (usual code zero material) with a torsion rope in the luff. I've been told I shouldn't need the top down furler as the sails will be tight at the luff and will benefit from a 2:1 halyard.

This will improve your upwind performance massively and will also improve any angle up to 130twa in light winds.

FYI, my genoa is 50m2 so I expect your jib will be a fair bit smaller just so you get an idea of the extra amount of sail area.
Old 04-12-2018, 22:49   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
Our reaching sail is called a gennaker (looks like a code 0, but maybe not as flat) it was a factory option in 2011 - 1130 sq ft - came with a single 1:1 halyard 12mm spectra. We have raced a 2016 Lagoon that had an Ullman laminate code 0 built aftermarket with a 2:1 halyard. He had a head start. We passed him downwind - so obviously the 2:1 halyard sucks.. Mind you his crisp new sails assisted him to catch us upwind. We run our 2000 sq ft symmetric on the same halyard.
BC. I had to google it but 1130sqft is 105m2. Our gennaker (i hate that bloody sail) is 120m2 but has a fairly deep belly. It's probably more of a asy spinnaker but I don't really know the diff between the 2. What I need is something much flatter to cover from 50 - 120 that's easy to furl. Then I can use the gennaker from 120 with the sock (if I ever figure it out).
Old 10-12-2018, 08:53   #29

Boat: Lagoon 450

Scott:

Congratulations on the purchase. I am the owner of a 2013 450F hull #277. We are based in Bristol, RI and have taken GEM to Carib in 2914/5 as part of ARC USA rally. I have also crewed on the ARC (Lagoon 56) and just completed Salty Dawg rally to Antigua. Two great sources are the Lagoon Owners site on yahoo and Facebook. Crew can be found on Ocean Crew Link, http://oceancrewlink.com. You’ll find me there as well. If you have any ? Suggest you post them on FB or yahoo where there is a lot of expertise. ARC was a great experience, you’ll benefit from it enormously. Contact me via email if I can answer an ?

Vin Ratford
Old 10-12-2018, 09:14   #30

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka

The 46 can be seen in Dusseldorf in jan,2019, if you need to look at it.
Closed Thread

Tags
lagoon