Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2014, 18:09   #1

Young traveller looking for his start in international sailing!

About me:

Name: Max Drake

Experience: NONE! I have travelled throughout the United States, often working for food or lodgings, so while I don't have experience, you can be sure I won't quit.

Location: Currently in Texas, willing to come to you so long as you are in the continental US.

Why I'm Here: I would like to (once my travelling days are over) find a career working tall ships. Volunteer crewing seems like a great way to gain experience on the ocean while still allowing me to see more of the world. I hope to find a safe boat and a competent captain to travel with.

Where I'd like to go: Most anywhere out of the US really. I'd love South America, Asia, or the Pacific islands, but Europe and Australia/New Zealand would be incredible as well. I'm looking for voyages of at least a month ideally, hopefully with stops in interesting places along the way.

I know I don't bring a lot to the table, but I'm happy to clean, stand watch, even cook (provided you show me how...) if you're seeking conversation during your voyage, I have many a tale to tell, and I'm always happy to chat about anything under the sun and learn new things. If you're looking for a warm body to stand watch, I'm more than happy to do that as well. If you need a dogsbody to pick up supplies in port or do maintenance, I'm your man!

Basically, it boils down to this. I want to sail and see the world more than anything. Any captain who takes me on would be doing me an immense service, so I'm willing to do what I have to do to make it worth that captain's while.

Oh, I currently do not have my passport, I hope to have it within a few weeks. I am a smoker, but only cigars, and I'm more than willing to leave those in a bin when we set off. As for drinking/not drinking, feel free, you won't offend me, but I obviously can't while in the States.

Oh, you can contact me at 214 seven0eight 785five. Text is probably your best bet, if not call and leave a voicemail. I'm terrible about picking up...
Old 02-03-2014, 19:57   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Young traveller looking for his start in international sailing!

Well, son,

I'd suggest you get serious about picking it up if you expect a grownup to give you a chance. From what you wrote that you could do to help crew, there are few people who would want to get you started.

It has been written before, but go to places where there are sailors, and offer to help out. Show up for all the twilight races, all the beer can races, always volunteer to do the jobs nobody likes, such as repacking the spinnaker now your're on the windward leg. Show them you can work and learn, be helpful, and thank them.

If you want to cook, get a cookbook and figure it out. Something like "cooking for the offshore sailor". Etc.

And, lay off the BS. Everyone in the whole US knows lots of underage kids illegally drink alcohol. If you want to give up alcohol and ciggies for the trip, do it now so you can talk truth, coyness of that sort will not endear you to sensible skippers.
Old 02-03-2014, 20:22   #3

Honestly, I'm not going to "get serious" right now. Currently, this is a way to possibly gain more experience with someone who is willing to teach, and if this doesn't get picked up, then I'll just go to Europe on a plane. There's several captains on the site HelpX that are willing to pick up unskilled crew, I was just hoping to get a jump start and possible passage. I fully intend to (when near the sea) make friends with local sailors, but right now I'm a good distance from anywhere of the sort, and I could be working my current occupation (precious metals trading while I go around the southwest) and saving rather than burning my cash. I don't see anything wrong with making it clear what I smoke (some people hate cigs but don't mind cigars, but I still wanted to make it clear that smoking wasn't a deal breaker) and while I DO drink, I procure my own damn rum, and that was my way of saying that I wasn't going to try to convince anyone I was sailing with to let me drink where it wasn't legal.

I'm sorry my my post didn't measure up to the kindve "grown up" requirements that you generally look for. If you're currently seeking volunteer crew, I hope you find who you're looking for! But, since that's clearly not me, I figure we're settled up.
Old 02-03-2014, 21:15   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Perhaps your plan B is better, then. Sorry if I offended you. FWIW, there are many naive crew requests made, and you may have caught the flak that might have been better directed at others. It struck me as extremely counter-productive to ask people to phone you and then say you were terrible about picking it up when it rang. It sounded insincere, to me, and that rankled. Try to remember that you may write whatever words come into your head, true or false, and then the reader has to decide whether or not to respond.

Yup, we're quits.

Ann
Old 02-03-2014, 22:19   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pronto285 View Post
Honestly, I'm not going to "get serious" right now..
I'm sorry my my post didn't measure up to the kindve "grown up" requirements that you generally look for. If you're currently seeking volunteer crew, I hope you find who you're looking for! But, since that's clearly not me, I figure we're settled up.
Perhaps you should consider that you are trying to "sell" yourself here and should appear in the best light possible for members looking for crew. You may feel, even know, that you have a lot to offer, but attacking the first person who responds to your post is not really showing how compatible you are perhaps.

Coops.
Old 02-03-2014, 23:04   #6

OK. What parts of my post do you think have merit (if any) which should I tweak, and which should be cut out all together? And Ann, no worries! I definitely know how that goes, its the internet.

Hmmm, it doesn't appear to allow me to edit my original post. So, anyone reading, feel free to contact me via PM, email, call, or text, but texting and PM are probably your best bet. If you leave a message I WILL return your call within a few days (I get a bunch of calls, a lot of them unwanted, and sometimes it takes some doing to sort through) but emails might slip past entirely.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:37   #7

Hi pronto:

I am currently living in the Ft. Worth area and seriously looking for a boat.

I plan to get to Florida soon to view a couple hopefully by June. I have experience but not current. If you want to chat OK but I will say if you are around when I get a boat I would consider you. We all have to start and yes experience is great but.... I have taught others for years mostly young men and found that a person of any age that really wants something then they will always succeed and be great at their jobs. If nothing else, let this encourage you. I am old enough to know but I myself need to keep learning and young enough to want to.

I encourage you to at least find others that like to take and can keep you encouraged and think on your future. Not just use you as labor.

Hope things go well for you.

Can talk anytime about the sea and sailing.

Neal

Tags
sail, sailing