Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2014, 10:15   #1

Boat: Gulfstar 50 MKll
World cruise

Leaving Virginia in January for Bahamas, then Haiti to do work for our charity, crossing Caribbean to SA, back up Lesser Antilles or over to San Blas Islands, back to Virginia late May for any repairs then heading out again. Looking for compatible crew members male and female for all or part of the trip. Photography, videography, scuba diving skills, web design and sailing skills an asset but compatibility key. Vessel is a Gulfstar 50 MK ll ketch fully restored and upgraded including new turbo diesel engine, solar and wind power, 2 chart plotters, 2 auto pilots, new rigging with sails and more. Shared expenses and interested in long term companions or partners in vessels adventures. Experienced is great but keen beginners willing to learn with a good attitudes just as good. The vessel will be visiting remote areas, long passages at times, and enjoying the sun and sea. Safety of the vessel and crew is paramount. Reply to this thread or to the Captain directly at timeforsunandsea at gmail dot com. Couples travelling not our first choice. We want to build a team that will work together off and on over the years. Responsible team attitude out for a good time is the spirit. Thanks. Happy Sailing one and all.
Old 02-11-2014, 13:48   #2

Re: World cruise

HI, forty something male, complete novice keen interest and willing to put in the hard work. Scuba diver, freediver,sportsmassage therapist/personal trainer. Social person, get along with most. Non smoker, non drinker, although have no issues with any who do.
Am ready and willing to drop and go, been working in Eygpt the last few years and fancy an exciting cjhallenge and change.

Woud love to be part of your crew.

Yours sincerely

Leslie Purcell
rope2008@hotmail.co.uk
Old 03-11-2014, 17:25   #3

Thanks for the email Leslie.
I will reply to the email address you gave me.
Looking forward to talking about your interests.
A compatable crew is essential and safety the priority.
Old 16-11-2014, 16:30   #4

Vessel will be finished and sea trials completed by mid December. Loading aid for Haiti prior to leaving. Will head thru the Bahama Out Islands, thru the Windward Passage to the south coast of Haiti. Will be in Haiti around 2 weeks working on projects for the charity and diving several different sites. Will try to sail east to catch Lesser Antilles but if winds poor might head direct to San Blas Islands. Testing a Quad copter camera system in the San Blas Islands for work with our diving operations. Yes the vessel has been surveyed with the new engine and engine room rebuild. Leaving the Caribbean in June for Virginia. Will be stopping in Cuba to visit friends and tour Havana. Will also be river rafting in Jamaica and diving a wall off of Haiti. The ketch is designed for single handed sailing but like to carry 4 on long hauls but have had 7 when doing research on dive sites etc. Hope this answers some questions. Please send a CV with photos to timeforsunandsea at gmail dot com, so all potential crew can be reviewed by existing crew. Compatibility is key. Scuba diving skills, web design, sailing skills an asset but so are keen attitudes. Vessel will be leaving Virginia after final upgrades and heading farther afield. Cheers.
Old 16-11-2014, 16:58   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Is this a 501(C)3 registered US charity? Name of?

Is your stop in Cuba sanctioned, or perhaps problematic?
Old 16-11-2014, 17:45   #6

It is a Canadian Registered Charity and a Canadian flagged vessel. We work with other US Charities in Haiti and have US citizens helping with the charity along with Irish, UK and French. In Cuba we have no problem and can apply for cruising permits to sail from port to port. I am not sure of the legal status of US vessels in Cuba.
Old 17-11-2014, 08:05   #7

Hello!
I have sent you an email. Hope to hear back from you soon!
Kyle

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 17-11-2014, 18:26   #8

Hi Kyle

Thanks for your email and yes I am totally facinated in your adventure planned! IHope your received my CV sent in an earlier email? If I am honest my selling point has to be my compatibility, social ability to adapt to and with most people, both within confind areas and or in isolated enviroments. Travelled extensively over the years, being by myself and in less than normal surroundings has become the norm.So adaptability is another plus point. Strong,fit, willing and bloody hardworking, when nessesary,as a sportsman, both in the water or on dry land should assist the hardship that may accompany the good times too. Freediver, scuba diver, both as hobbies and not proffesionally. Need to know what will be expected, costs, timescales, etc.
Please, ask anything deemed nessesary I may have left out.
Regards
Les
Old 17-11-2014, 20:10   #9

Hi Les
I didn't receive the email that you sent. Please re-send: s.kylebanks@yahoo.com is my email just to makes sure it was send correctly. Once I read over everything I'm sure I will have questions to follow up with. Look forward to reading your CV!
Thank you
Kyle

Old 17-11-2014, 23:37   #10

greetings Capt.
I have about 10,000 miles of sailing experience, I'm a great third hand for the 3rd mate, I have about 100,000 miles of motored sea time, I was a navigator for oil research, seismic & diving vessels. I am easy as the night stars. would love to be along with ur humanitarian mission, I've bin told , I'm a person whisper, and have all the time in the world. larrymatson2002@yahoo
Old 18-11-2014, 18:10   #11

Hey! I have sent you an email. Look forward to hearing back from you.

-Chris

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 18-11-2014, 19:42   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to aprilhelen

Aloha!
What a wonderful opportunity! Especially with your interests in being of service to humankind.

aprilhelen
Old 27-11-2014, 07:12   #13

Our work in Haiti concentrates on building fish farms and water cisterns. We teach the Haitians how to do the work and then help them get it done. We sail down tons of supplies, this year using 5 vessels. We have been going there almost every year since 1999. Several Haitians have been taught to scuba dive and others how to Skipper modern yachts. We have helped them open up several small businesses and we ship thousands of dollars of Haitian Art home to be sold to raise funds for our projects. This is a combined US and Canadian effort with many from both nations involved. Two vessels are on their way now, one leaving early Dec and the others early Jan. Our vessel will leave Virginia early Jan and sail thru the Bahama Out Islands heading to the south coast of Haiti. After that we will spend the rest of the fall and spring in the southern Caribbean. Still taking resumes with photos for crew. Thanks
Old 27-11-2014, 07:39   #14

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

Now thats what I call Getting it Done! Godspeed to you, your vessel, and your crew time4sea. Best of luck to your Humanitarian efforts as well. This world needs more sailing humanitarians like you. You are a true Sailingtarian.
Old 28-11-2014, 14:34   #15

I'm the captain and owner of 55 ' catch in Vancouver , I have a chartering company and I love to join on your adventure.
Thanks Moji

Tags
cruise