Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 11:41   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Work

Lots of folks want a job ,not many want to work...I have a friend that says that it is hard to find good help..I told him he was looking in the wrong place ..His company has the following openings: 500 ton masters(w/oceans),mate (w/oceans),chief engineer,asst. engineer,marine welder,diesel mech,machinest,pipefitter,ship fitter,sheet metal mech and other positions...must be able to work in USA, obtain TWIC,must be able to obtain military access(no crooks) USCG endorsment for applicable positions...anyone interested?...DVC
Old 11-09-2012, 06:06   #2

Re: Work

hi there Australias not much better every one wants the coin but don't put the effort in , i love to go and have a crack . i'have been a diesel mechanic for the best part of 25 years i've worked for caterpillar ,cummins etc , i been self employed i sent a lot of time repairing trawlers , commercial fishing boats & have worked on big ocean carriers . but wenh it comes to getting work as a full time'r on a boat i never get a gig or i'm not ready to get aboard . i am 43 hard working . very knowledgeable easy going down to earth guy .i don't drink smoke or do drugs , my down fall is don't have the MED ticket . i have worded on or repaired boats and thought how do most of these engineers get a ticket because theres not many good ones out , i'm in limbo at the minute looking after a family farm . i'm ready to go again get in touch i'd be interested , i want to end up in the states shortly to buy a yacht . might be a good chance to have a look around , other wise i will back to working in the mines in West Australia , i don't really want to end up there as it's pretty brain dead work these days . contact me through here or mountainman69@live.com.au
cheers Greg
Old 11-09-2012, 09:36   #3
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by scampo View Post
hi there Australias not much better every one wants the coin but don't put the effort in , i love to go and have a crack . i'have been a diesel mechanic for the best part of 25 years i've worked for caterpillar ,cummins etc , i been self employed i sent a lot of time repairing trawlers , commercial fishing boats & have worked on big ocean carriers . but wenh it comes to getting work as a full time'r on a boat i never get a gig or i'm not ready to get aboard . i am 43 hard working . very knowledgeable easy going down to earth guy .i don't drink smoke or do drugs , my down fall is don't have the MED ticket . i have worded on or repaired boats and thought how do most of these engineers get a ticket because theres not many good ones out , i'm in limbo at the minute looking after a family farm . i'm ready to go again get in touch i'd be interested , i want to end up in the states shortly to buy a yacht . might be a good chance to have a look around , other wise i will back to working in the mines in West Australia , i don't really want to end up there as it's pretty brain dead work these days . contact me through here or mountainman69@live.com.au
cheers Greg
Sent PM ..good luck..I think they pay RT airfare from point of hire...DVC
Old 11-09-2012, 13:07   #4

My name is Daniela I have passed my captain (six pack )test in April and Have received my TWIC card. I am a team player and want to be a part of a crew. I have great references. Im new to being on a crew and easy to train. (have no bad habits) I've been boating on and off most of my life on the Hudson River. Within the last 5 season I have been sailing on the Long Island sound and the River. I just need a chance.
Old 11-09-2012, 15:10   #5
Marine Service Provider

Lots of interest!...Google ,Cabras Marine group and follow the links for an interview..work station will be Guam, (USA) and general area..Good luck..Daryl
Old 11-09-2012, 16:58   #6

Boat: Irwin. 28 ft
Send a message via AIM to pdjb

I google. cabras marine is in Guam. You fill out app..and then wait...that is all I see...Just like the US does in marine jobs.......nice place to sail.......good luck
Old 14-09-2012, 07:15   #7
Marine Service Provider

If you are american and want a job w/this company ,dont wait around for them to call you ...call them and keep calling until you make contact..they will hire H2s after a certain amount of time has gone by...Let them know you want to work!...
Old 14-09-2012, 10:21   #8

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Lots of folks want a job ,not many want to work...I have a friend that says that it is hard to find good help..I told him he was looking in the wrong place ..His company has the following openings: 500 ton masters(w/oceans),mate (w/oceans),chief engineer,asst. engineer,marine welder,diesel mech,machinest,pipefitter,ship fitter,sheet metal mech and other positions...must be able to work in USA, obtain TWIC,must be able to obtain military access(no crooks) USCG endorsment for applicable positions...anyone interested?...DVC
I could fill about 5 of theses positions. Too bad, I'm retired now!
Old 14-09-2012, 11:00   #9

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Lots of interest!...Google ,Cabras Marine group and follow the links for an interview..work station will be Guam, (USA) and general area..Good luck..Daryl
I googled and got this:

BEWARE Cabras Marine/SeaBridge in Guam!!!!!
Old 14-09-2012, 11:14   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbodine88 View Post
I belive this is why he said he couldnt find any(good )help..they have been awarded more contracts and they stipulate priority for Americans and a change form business as usual...maybe a chance to make a difference..good luck..a contract and signing bonus would be a must...after your there and it is not as advertized you have money and rt airfare ,plus there are lots of other ships in port to choose from..better than sitting on ones ass waiting for a "job"...explore the world on there dime...
Old 14-09-2012, 15:04   #11

Boat: Irwin. 28 ft
Send a message via AIM to pdjb

I am a nooa employee working on a noaa vessel. I am an oiler by cert. I can't call them from the wasington state...it would be to much money for international calls...I am retiring at the end of year...but thanks for the information...nice weather there. I will pass this on to my friends if they are interested.........They all have the cred. because they work on ships in the usa..........thanks again for information.
Old 14-09-2012, 15:40   #12
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdjb View Post
I am a nooa employee working on a noaa vessel. I am an oiler by cert. I can't call them from the wasington state...it would be to much money for international calls...I am retiring at the end of year...but thanks for the information...nice weather there. I will pass this on to my friends if they are interested.........They all have the cred. because they work on ships in the usa..........thanks again for information.
Your welcome...Guam should be a local call from stateside ,just dial 1 area code and exchange...have not googled it myself ,maybe it goes to PI,if that is so call guam dept.of labor..I would not go thru any company in PI as the dept of labor in Guam is the US dept of labor and they can provide protection if all doesnt go well with the company...good luck...DVC