Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2015, 10:09   #1

Which is the most likely place to catch a ride across the atlantic from Europe?

From September I'll be making my way from the Netherlands down through Europe, and then hoping to cross over the Atlantic towards Puerto Rico. I'm wondering where to go which will better increase my chances of this. Would Portugal be the place?
Old 03-08-2015, 14:45   #2

Boat: aluminium twin keel, Laurent Giles, 62 foot
Re: Which is the most likely place to catch a ride across the atlantic from Europe?

Hoi, i guess the canary islands. And dont look to much of a hippy

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 04-08-2015, 13:26   #3

Re: Which is the most likely place to catch a ride across the atlantic from Europe?

How busy is it down there for sailing yachts? Should I expect to be paying daily, or do you think there would be any chance of getting on board and just paying for my food only?

There was one opportunity to cross the Atlantic on a yacht but they wanted 40 euro a day. I don't feel like it's much of a challenge if I have to pay my way accross. I like making long distances on barely nothing. I do really want sailing experience though..
Old 05-08-2015, 06:36   #4

Hey!

Las Palmas (Gran Canaria), Santa Cruz (Tenerife) and Gibraltar is where most boats have there last stop before crossing the big pond. It's a competitive thing though so you might want to check some other harbours like La Coruña, La Palma (Mallorca), Madeira, Gran Tarajal (Fuerteventura), Portimão (Portugal).
Also in Sao Vicente (Cabo Verde) quite some boats were looking for crew, as other crew left or they figured they might need some help.

I'm actually writing a little e-book on how to find a boat to cross the Atlantic and how not to do it! I did it twice now and have been on a wrong boat as well! This blogpost might help you on how to find a boat to cross the Atlantic.

Good luck! Enjoy! And possibly see you at some harbour. I think I'll go again this year
Cheers, Suzanne
Old 05-08-2015, 11:06   #5

Awesome! -Just read the blog. Will check more of it out shortly. My efforts have been kind of lame at the moment because of how busy I am, but I'm pretty confident about the whole thing. Normally with these kind of things, it just hits me over night and I decide whether or not I'm going to try it within minutes! : )

A few years back I did hitchhiking from Malaysia to the Netherlands, and after that I've been left very optimistic. As they say ''Faith in humanity restored'' : )

As I've had a stressful few years of hard work and study I've been seeking on some level to do another awesome trip, and as I have a newfound crazy passion for sailing -something I've never done, it just seemed clear what I should do. I'm in Sweden now, but yeah, September -The Netherlands, then I'll just make my way down to one of the destinations you mentioned. I am tempted to blend the trip with some hitchhiking on road, but it's too easy. Hitchhiking with boats seems like a nice challenge, and a really rewarding experience.

I've yet to decide my end destination, which seems like it will be Canada or New zealand so far, but if I could make it all the way like this it would be awesome, I get a rush just thinking about it : )
Trouble is, it seems like everyone so far is wanting me to pay somewhat, but I feel I'll be cheating myself if I do that, but plus I also need the cash for my end point. Do you think I could get by with just paying for food only? When on shore I can couch surf and sleep outdoors no problem.

Thanks for responding to my message!

Tags
Europe, rope