Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2015, 07:01   #1
Marine Service Provider

What is the Best way to start working in the Sailing world?

Hello everyone,

I am 27 years old living in the Asheville, NC area with my wife and dog. I have just finished my EEG degree and also finished my ASA 101 and 103 sailing certs and intend to peruse more sailing my certs. My EEG degree has geared me for a health care career as a safety net, but my dream is to work full time with sailboats and become a full time live aboard. Do y'all an advice for me on how to start out? Where to find work, how to find work things like that?
Old 11-08-2015, 07:20   #2

Re: What is the Best way to start working in the Sailing world?

My first job in the boating world was working as a tender captain at a yacht club.

It was a pretty good gig. It paid well, no grunt work, got to meet all the members (and their daughters), gained good boat handling and basic navigation skills. The boat held 40 passengers and the crossing to the island was over a mile, in all weather conditions, 16-20 times a day, so docking a sailboat will never be an issue for you after that.

It paid $12.50 an hour at a time when minimum wage was 6 and change. Not sure what it would pay now. About $20 an hour maybe? I know of at least one prestigious yacht club that pays their tender captains in the $30/hr range.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
sail, sailing