Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2012, 04:00   #1

West coast USA to Brisbane Australia

I am looking at a Beneteau 331 in California. I have looked at the freight cost to get it here and its not worth it. I know there has been a few come out on there own bottom is that the sort of trip you would like to make. It could be just a delivery or an extended trip not sure if it would be a holiday. I have had a bit of experience and would be up to it. A 331 is the boat I want here not the boat I would pick to do a pacific crossing. Your input would be appreciated.
Old 27-03-2012, 06:58   #2
cp1

Re: West coast USA to Brisbane Australia

Rusty "The smaller the boat, the better the sailor" and of course the other side is "the sea finds out everything you did wrong"
Cheers mate and fair winds...Capt Doug
Old 27-03-2012, 07:00   #3

Boat: Hudson Force 50

Hello,

My wife and I are experienced sailors, We are actually planning our circum nav to start out on May 3rd, however we can adjust scheduules to accomidate this trip if the details are favorable.

My wife and I are medical officers aboard a cruise ship. As such, we work 3 months on and 3 months off. We are based out of San Francisco and expect to have our boat in San Diego by mid - June. How about providing some details and perhaps we can join you for this trip.

Rene Steinhauer
Old 02-04-2012, 02:34   #4

Thanks for the reply sorry to take so long getting back I have got a couple of boats to look at here and it might be best to explore the possibilities her further before doing the big trip. Ill keep your contact and we might meet up some time good luck.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:42   #5

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

We sailed a 331 in pretty heavy weather for a few days. As long as the rigging is in good shape, I wouldn't have any qualms about crossing the Pacific in that model boat. But I don't want to crew on any boat. Just providing personal experience input regarding the model boat.

Judy
Old 02-04-2012, 11:55   #6

Boat: Beneteau 393

361 would be much improved over the 331. Have owned 343 and 361, currently driving a 393. Also delivered some 473/445's.
My 393's up for sale. See it on sailboatlistings.com. Buy it on East coast US and I'll take it thru Panama w or w/o you and crew for you n/c to Oz. Think about it?
Might add that I've approx 150K plus at sea, several transatlantics and other areas such as South China sea/Phillipines etc. USCG 100TON and good references. Good Luck!
Old 02-04-2012, 15:32   #7

Thanks for the replys yachtfinder which one 39 is a bit biger than i want 33 to 35 is what i am looking at. I am concered about the draft as much as anything Prety shallow spots around here and last boat was a cat there isnt a lot af boats in Oz and what there is are spreed along the east coast. Prices are comming back a bit but most boats owe the owner a lot of money. I am not sure if it wil be worth it to bring something over the cost to ship is around $30k a 2001 331 in mint condition with moderate amout of gear but needed rigging and motor had done 3000 hrs sold for $112k a couple of months ago here we pay 10% tax and another 7.5% if the boat was not made in USA this is on purchase price and cost of transport to OZ so you have to do the math. There was a Leopard 38 in Turkey last week US$112 needed new motors I called the local agent to give me a quote on repowering by the time I got a reply it was sold so you have to be quick. In some ways a more expencive boat makes more sense.
I appreciate your help.

Tags
Australia, brisbane