Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2014, 18:48   #1

Volunteer Sail Crew in San Diego County

Old school local and native beach resident looking for volunteer crew to help load & launch a 12' cartoppable sailboat, in return for frequent year-round sailing as few others do: cruising San Diego Bay & environs in full-on party mode, patrolling the beach and Silver Strand in my hometown of Coronado, pulling overnight "stealth voyages" to Los Coronados (sleeping at various island summits), and running the length of the Salton Sea on radical desert expeditions. No sailing experience required, one learns fast aboard this boat, and those who demonstrate competence at sea will get plenty of tiller time. Loading & launching the boat is a simple process, I always use my own vehicle for transport and I built a dolly to wheel the boat from the car to the water's edge, and vice versa. The boat is simply-rigged and easy to handle, but it's no megayacht, so bear that in mind. Prefer female crew, but will consider skateboarders, rock climbers, and similar outdoor-oriented types as crew, just no Epic Darwin Failures... their kind aren't welcome aboard this boat. Here are a few shots from my latest Salton Expedition, sailing the length of the Salton Sea, from NSYC (North Shore Yacht Club) to a mud flat near Red Hill Marina, a cool voyage with primo desert scenery as viewed from California's largest lake (in terms of surface area---Tahoe might have it beat in terms of volume). Enough said, PM me here at this site if you live in San Diego County and are interested in cutting-edge small craft sailing. ADIOS!!!

Hmm, looks as if the usual method of loading pictures from this old desktop computer won't fly here, so here are a couple of URLs which will take you to web pages with photos of the islands and the Salton. For a few island shots, visit here and check both pages of the thread, if photos don't appear the first time around then refresh or hit the thread title again, until all photos appear. I actually have 1000 photos posted elsewhere, but these will serve to show you what kind of small craft sailing and cutting-edge adventures I do:

For Salton photos, try this page and scroll downward till you see a review by Railsplitter Z... the Z will be self-explanatory once you view the photos at the bottom of that review. Photos are in reverse order, I couldn't be bothered to set 'em straight, just click the approriate line to "See all photos..." and work your way backwards through the assortment to view photos in chronological order as the expedition unfolded. Wind was gusting over 20 knots at time of launch, and the first two hours of the voyage were like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride:

Alright, lemme see if these came through properly, otherwise be patient while I fix any problems.
Old 18-09-2014, 19:47   #2

Re: Volunteer Sail Crew in San Diego County

Meh, just Google "oausa.net" and visit the Photography Forum, then scroll down till you see "Random outdoor adventure shots" by Railsplitter (my handle back in the days of paid tourism, you'll figure it out if you visit the website). There are primo island shots on both pages of that thread, as well as some cool wilderness shots taken nationwide.

For Salton pics, Google "Yelp San Diego" and search for "Salton Sea" near "Salton City, CA"---once you're on that page, click on the entry with "Boating, Campgrounds" beneath the title, then scroll down till you see a review by Railsplitter Z (had to list an "initial" at that site). Got other Salton shots posted elsewhere, but those will do for starters.

Tags
crew, sail, san diego