Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 22:09   #1

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55
Unusual Opportunity to Travel

Before you read further,, please if you will withold your negative and Non Helpful comments, rather Inbox me and tell me that way.
I know i am running a risk doing things this way, but i try to believe in the good in people, so here goes!!!!!!!!

My Problem;
My 31ft Jim Brown Sea Runner Tri Maran is In San Rafael Harbor, Tied up, no longer on the dry.
I will be in Ensenada 20th Sep . I am Not capable of Sailing her to Ensenada, or able to enter the United States at this time and.... I need my Boat to be in Ensenada at some point.

Solution:
Let You "A competent Sailor" and your Family use my Boat for a Vacation or live aboard in San Rafael Harbor etc for a period of no more than Six Months or less, and when your finished you drop the Boat to me in Ensenada.
You cover your own costs, and Maintenance of the boat.
I may be able to cover a flight home.

I am financially unable to pay for a transport skipper, and am Moving to Ensenada, my original plan was to live in San Fransico and ready the Boat for Blue Water traveling, however...i was refused entry from Vancouver on account i didnt have the appropriate visas, and i am a Landed Immigrant In Canada. 41years ago.
I can arrange for the Previous Boat owner to meet the prospective people at the Boat if all is well.
Other than this,,,i may have to Sell her and start all over again in Mexico.

Does this sound interesting??
If so Please email me for more details.

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Old 05-09-2012, 14:48   #2

Re: Unusual Opportunity to Travel

Do Canadians need a visa to enter the USA?
Old 05-09-2012, 15:01   #3

For trips less than 90 days, Canadians do not need a visa, just a valid passport and burden of intent (reason for the trip, and proof you will return home) United States Travel Advice and Advisories | Government of Canada
For Non Canadians (like me,,i am a British Citizen) it is more complicated and Draconian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uksail View Post
Do Canadians need a visa to enter the USA?

Old 05-09-2012, 18:18   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Sorry about your troubles with L'emigra...

SFO to Ensenada would be an awesome fun trip. I'd love to do it if I had more vacation time.

I presume you've looked at the boat? Is it "ready to go" for this kind of trip?
Old 05-09-2012, 18:39   #5

Boat: grampian 26

Fourty one years a Landed Immigrant? It sounds like you've created your own little legal limbo. In the eyes of Immigration you are British subject and therefore fall under a different set of rules. Get thee to a British Embassy and see if they can help you sort it.
Old 05-09-2012, 20:39   #6

@Ex-Calif....sadly that is part of my dilema, i only have the PO's take on the Condition.

@Perchance..There are no ways around this one except for the channels already stated. In the End i will bite the Bullet and do what i should have done 40 years ago and get my Canadian Citizenship since then i will have only half the trouble i have now.

Fortune favors the brave, and i'll know better in the future at any rate.
And if i have to re-sell her,then i am sure someone will get a great deal and a good future with her. as i had hoped to.

The next few months will tell, as i am off to Ensenada on the 20th to live and rethink my future,,but i will end up on the water of this i am certain.

Old 05-09-2012, 22:18   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Yes, get your Canadian citizenship. You can still have dual British if you want; a good friend of mine did exactly that.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:40   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom 70' Sportfish
pirate Re: Unusual Opportunity to Travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Sorry about your troubles with L'emigra...

SFO to Ensenada would be an awesome fun trip. I'd love to do it if I had more vacation time.

I presume you've looked at the boat? Is it "ready to go" for this kind of trip?
I would like this question answered too..... Let's not get off on the Visa thing... WHAT ABOUT THE BOAT???? lol...
Old 07-09-2012, 11:33   #9

I thought i had already answered that question in previous posts.
As things are, i have only the previous owners assurance that the boat is in sound condition except for one rear cable stay clamp, and wiring for lights,,also steering cables need to be hooked up to out board.
No electronics,

Quote:
Originally Posted by captsam54 View Post
I would like this question answered too..... Let's not get off on the Visa thing... WHAT ABOUT THE BOAT???? lol...

Old 07-09-2012, 11:50   #10

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Come on Nemo, ya want somebody to fix your boat and take it to mexico with no registration?? I feel for ya but I don't believe I would trust anybody who would do this for ya to take my boat anywhere !! If it were I, I would get back to the boat and sail it to mexico myself !! Thats the only way you should feel safe to get the boat there in one piece!! Not tryin to rain on your deal, but ya need to rethink the process of buying and delievery!! I meant did ya buy it sight unseen ??if so how do ya know it's safe ?? did ya have a survey? have ya regesterd it anywhere yet ?? Ya can't Document it in the US or Canada, so do ya have a Calif. Papers ?? Ya got a lot to think about here and so do the fella sailing it!! I don't even believe ya could get a good capt to do this if ya could afford to pay em !! Just sayin ya need to get things in order !!!
Old 07-09-2012, 12:14   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

get your bi/b2 visa,register the boat on the british ssr,go fix it up,sail to mexico problem sorted
Old 07-09-2012, 12:16   #12

Jeeez Bob

I have the signed registration papers, i have a Bill of sale,, i have receipt for bank transfer,,i am in constant contact with the previous owner,,i contact the harbor master for weekly updates,,i've had a member visit the boat for me to make sure everything was still good and dry,,what bloody more could i need????

I mean,i do get ya about the survey and all,,but this thing is not a multi million dollar yacht,,,its an older boat worth maybe fifteen grand tops.

As things stand right now,,i am losing nothing but my initial purchase price and six months of paid moorage.
What makes you think i cannot regiister the boat in Canada???

People need to get real here,,,it's not the freakin queen mary,,,it's just a 31 foot bloody boat.

And i don't see why the hell i should have to pay for someones use of my possessions, if you rented a boat,,they sure as hell wouldn't insure it for ya
or pay you to do little repairs either..

I have been criticized, insulted, made to look and sound like a bloody fool, grilled, etc etc,,,i have heard dire warnings of Scams and have been kind of accused of comporting myself like a scammer ,, and generally speaking these comments and insults have come from people who have never bought anything over any longer distance than their freakin arms length....I have and always will conduct myself with Honor and dignity and i will at all times defend that same honor and dignity with my blood if if needs be.
I have had enough, i thought this site was about people helping people,,and some of you have been real champions and helped plenty.
But i cannot stand idly by and take the insults anylonger.
I mean no disrespect to anyone, but need to vent this at this time.

Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Come on Nemo, ya want somebody to fix your boat and take it to mexico with no registration?? I feel for ya but I don't believe I would trust anybody who would do this for ya to take my boat anywhere !! If it were I, I would get back to the boat and sail it to mexico myself !! Thats the only way you should feel safe to get the boat there in one piece!! Not tryin to rain on your deal, but ya need to rethink the process of buying and delievery!! I meant did ya buy it sight unseen ??if so how do ya know it's safe ?? did ya have a survey? have ya regesterd it anywhere yet ?? Ya can't Document it in the US or Canada, so do ya have a Calif. Papers ?? Ya got a lot to think about here and so do the fella sailing it!! I don't even believe ya could get a good capt to do this if ya could afford to pay em !! Just sayin ya need to get things in order !!!

Old 07-09-2012, 12:20   #13

I think i am just gonna contact the previous owner and see if he will act as my sales agent,,cos i've had it up to my freaking eyebrows with all the dictatorial B***sh** when all i wanted to do was buy my bloody boat and sail her away.....Thanks to United States government for making a simple action insanely complicated.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:45   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo55 View Post
I think i am just gonna contact the previous owner and see if he will act as my sales agent,,cos i've had it up to my freaking eyebrows with all the dictatorial B***sh** when all i wanted to do was buy my bloody boat and sail her away.....Thanks to United States government for making a simple action insanely complicated.
Nemo, if you had of gotten your Canadian citizenship after living in the country for so long, none of this hassle would exist.

Much of it is your own doing by not investigating the situation before hand. Don't forget, in the USA, they make the rules... it's their country. As does Britain, Canada and about 173 other countries.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:56   #15

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40

I am not trying to insult you I am just offering some observations and advice:

Even though you have a bill of sale and the transferred title and the bank transfer proof, even the old Ca registration of the previous owner, it only establishes that you own the boat. None of those documents allow you to operate the boat in either US or international waters.

By law it has to be registered or documented somewhere! Once a registration or US documented boat is sold those documents become instantly invalid. If you or the prospective boat mover you engage gets stopped by the coast guard or other authorities.....your boat will likely be seized and the person operating it could be arrested.

Your solution is really not a very good one....for you or the person who moves your boat. It is illegal.