Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2014, 05:18   #1

The world

Hi

I am an Experienced professional yacht captain and engineer of many years. Plan has always been to drop the job and sail my own boat for pleasure completely unprofessionally (fun only)

Want to see all the places haven't yet seen and all the places I've been but never had time to see. Timescale irelavant start date October 2015 from la coruna

The yacht of choice is a S&S swan 40 from 1972 which is currently in a refit and modernisation phase.

Have many crew friends of both gender and varying seamanship but as always limited time. In the next year would be cool to meet more flexible individuals with sailing experience but more important time and no commitments to sail with possibly for long periods. Girls or guys it's all about the person.

If any of this intrigues start the ball rolling.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 06-09-2014, 05:28   #2

Boat: Catalina 27 + OPBs!!!
Re: The world

Good Morning from the Pacific NW.... I have been perusing the site for a few months now, this is my first post. Just passed me, I began working seasonally full time as a sailing instructor and charter captain in the San Juan Islands, just beginning work in the offseason doing deliveries. Not sure how to connect personally, but would invite you to send me an email so I could get more information to you and begin a dialogue. Mark.Brown. Bellingham@Gmail.
Hope to hear from you :-)

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 06-09-2014, 11:18   #3

Hi,

I've just sold my house and all my stuff and am planning a round the world tour starting in the spring. I have done a trans Atlantic, sailed in the Pacific Northwest, the Greek and Caribbean Islands, around New York City and Long Island sound, as well as Indonesian. I'm looking to crew here and there after May 2015. If interested contact me. Thanks, Donna
Old 06-09-2014, 14:08   #4

Greetings captain,
On my card, I have " Ole salt sailor adventurist ", In the past 4 years, I have had the pleasure of rekindling my love ,fear relationship with that wonderful woman the sea. I sailed a 30 ft. Lipincott from kent island, maryland How cool it was to drop anchor @ sunset in key west on Christmas eve. did the winter workin crab & lobster boats, was fun interesting & a nice reminder, I can still work my ass off, which made me reconsider why , I was there. Than did a stint on a morgan to Bahamas's with a mate & a new boat buyer, what an adventure that turned out to be. after 3 1/2 days of 65 m.p.h. winds & 20 ft. seas, we had the owner take them helm, for no sleep or food for the 3 days, we were spent. He quickly & most efficiently got relieved after capsizing the vessel. when the electric & motor decided they cared not to work underwater, luckiely a flashlight had just a dim of a glow to hold her due east ,until the sound of the surf, we beached # cape Canaveral, glad as I was to be on land, had I found the beach 3 miles south, I coulda toured the launch pad, or 3 miles north, I could have had the pleasure of the nude beach, but no, I choosed smack in the middle of nowhere, any whoot this past may did a 1400 mile sail on a 50 ft.

ketch which was an epic adventure. So I have about 10,000 miles under sail, about 500,000 under power vessels, from being a navigator in oil research prior to these new fangled dangled gps's. man there nice ,but, im confused by them, & I suck at getting oil under my fingernails. however, I'm as easy to get along with as the stars are beautiful @ night, I have all the time in the world & its about time again to go see it breathe it & enjoyed.

I'll make a hellva third hand for the 3rd mate, can stay at the helm for 12 to 18 when or if required, look forward to hearing from ya ... @ times speak up ...
302-260-2901 ... White Hat
Old 22-09-2014, 13:22   #5

Can you tell us a little bit more about your typical day to day?
Old 24-09-2014, 18:14   #6

Hi

I`m presently in Australia having sailed from England. I`d be interested in the second half of the trip west from Oz/NZ. Do you have an approx. schedule ?

Regards

Huw Williams
Old 28-09-2014, 10:28   #7

Hi, Johnny here from the northeast, I am very interested in a voyage of this kind, I have only a small amount of experience in sailing, I lived on a boat in Corpus Christi Texas 20years ago and helped fix it up and did a little bit of local sailing. I am heading to Chile in October, hopefully to continue guiding,(whitewater rafting) and experience living in a new country. My life is now open for anything, I am single, never married, no kids, and my best friend of 15yrs passed on May 4th this year. ( my dog Noah) so I am ready for anything, and very capable.

Thanks, jpanama
Old 29-09-2014, 02:35   #8

Thanks guys and girls for all the responses. I will contact you all in time. In order to answer question from Windy City. Plans are not as yet set in stone however a delivery from la coruna to Cape Verde Islands and then Antigua will be first passages. The nature of my work being summer busy on a commercial yacht means I will be overseeing works on Teragram with the odd weekend in la coruna during 2015 to check up but with very little sailing. More preperation work and refit tasks. When I leave next October I plan for a slow cruise not a rush. If there are places that I like I will stay a bit. I have ongoing varnish works an improvements that will continue as I go. I have experience in yacht maintenance and engineering and anyone who joins I hope would like to learn a bit. But everything slow for me not looking at my adventure being all about yacht maintenance. I don't like to push in bad weather so i always wait for the best conditions if possible and I prefer anchor to sitting in a marina. Not because of money but I like to have a swim in the morning and in the evening fall asleep watching the stars to a good tune from the doors or the stones

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 29-09-2014, 19:34   #9

I like your attitude about this journey Teragram.
keeping the trip relaxing and spontaneous.
that is very much how I like to travel.
right now I am down in Australia.
doing some traveling and hopefully a little bit of sailing.
past experience with 32 foot yachts.
liveaboard and coast cruising adventures in good and bad weather.
no girlfriend/pets/family attachments.
who knows where I will be a year from now...
but a morning swim off an anchored boat off the coast of wherever sounds amazing.
would be interesting to learn some of the mechanical/engineering aspects too.
I'm 32 next month.
while I am easy going I also like more daring types of adventure.

will try and keep an eye on this topic and see what develops.
best of luck in finding the right person(s) to make it all happen.
Old 16-10-2014, 12:10   #10

I'm Gulfport Florida and I'm ready to go right now my fiancé and I have all the time in the world

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 02-11-2014, 07:52   #11

My name is Gabrielle and I am very interested in joining your crew January of 2016. I am located in Miami, FL and have about 10 years of sailing experience in rivers, bays and have sailed from Miami to the Bahamas for Raceweek in the Abacos. I would love to get more blue water experience aboard a sailboat. I have my ASA 101 and 103 certifications and have been teaching Basic Keelboat sailing for 2 years.
I love to explore and watch the stars, eventually want to learn to navigate by the stars. I am pretty easy going and take whatever challenges the sea provides in stride.
Would love to know where you might be Jan. 2016.

Gabrielle
Old 05-11-2014, 20:41   #12

Did you ever have anything to do with the Alden schooner by the name of "Teragram" that was based in Hawaii during the 80's? She was a great boat on whom I lived and worked. Margaret, spelled backwards....

Capt Judy