Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2011, 14:57   #1

Boat: C & C 24
Testing the Waters / Long island to Savannah

I will be sailing my newly purchased 24' C&C from East Hampton LI, to Savannah, GA in april/ May. I have never sailed, and expect to learn it all on the trip down, need someone to help/ teach me on the finer points of sailing. The sailboat is up to snuff, should have everything needed for the trip. I have 6 sails, including 3 Gennies, 2 VHF radios, GPS, have a laptop that I will have charts on, as well as paper charts, 8 hp motor has been checked out, set to go, will be picking up 2nd battery, whatever else I need.
I am a 56 year old fat guy, with a very sarcastic sense of humor. If you are a very serious person, we probably wouldn't get along for the weeks that the trip will take. I had 20 years of serious (marriage), and found out that I don't like it. I am a non smoker, but not obsessive about it, drink very little, (doesn't take much), and am not going to be in any hurry on the trip. I also don't know what is expected of me for this kind of situation. I have very little money, don't know what I am supposed to pay for, etc. I would appreciate any information as to what is normal expenses for me, on the cheap.
Old 20-03-2011, 01:07   #2

Boat: 25 O'Day
Send a message via MSN to gboase Send a message via Yahoo to gboase Send a message via Skype™ to gboase
Re: Testing the waters/ Long island to Savannah

Welcome to the Fat Old Sarcastic Guy w/ Small boats club. I'm a 58 fat guy with a 25 O'Day.

I'm not sure that learning along the way is the best, but go with what you got. One thing I would STRONGLY urge is to do a "Hudson Bay start." You might want to google that term. It refers to making at least a small trip first just to make sure you're good to make the longer one.

As for the cost of such an adventure, it's as much as you want to spend. Ironically I will be working this summer on a guide book called Bargain Boating from Boston to the Bay. I port in Narragansett Bay, just a day sail north of where you are. How's your ground tackle? If you can anchor and have a small dinghy that's a huge savings. If you can fish and like to eat same, that's another savings.

Hope you have a good cabin heater, generator and propane fuel supply.
Plan on a LOT of weather related delays. This is probably the second worse time of year to make that trip. Spring weather is horribly changeable.

Being a novice, I do hope you plan on using the ICW as much as possible. In that case count on using more fuel than sail. I have an 8hp on mine as well and you're going to use that a lot. They're good on gas, but then gas is VERY expensive these days. You can sail outside the ICW where the weather is good, but keep the old weather eye wide open.

Plan your anchorages VERY carefully. You can make it all the way down without stopping and paying for a mooring or dock. Of course you'll need pumpout service, re-stocking for food and water and need to touch dock at least now and then. I doubt if two fat guys on a small boat could put enough food onboard.

I'm very tempted to offer myself as crew. I'm familiar with the boat and experienced in getting there "on the cheap." It's in fact the subject of a book I'm working on this summer. I could kill two birds with one stone. I spent three years writing marina reviews for Atlantic Cruising Club. Now I'm going to work on a book for the common boater that may not have all the money in the world.

I'll suggest we talk on the phone. My home office number is 401-495-4175. I also have Skype in the directory under gboase. If nothing else I can offer some suggestions for planning the trip.

George Boase
Old 20-03-2011, 10:42   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to CharlesFCook
Re: Testing the waters/ Long island to Savannah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter23 View Post
I will be sailing my newly purchased 24' C&C from East Hampton LI, to Savannah, GA in april/ May. I have never sailed, and expect to learn it all on the trip down...
That's a great strategy !!!

Good Luck.

Tags
Long Island