Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2016, 13:00   #1

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Tayana Double Ender San Juan to Miami ASAP

Hi,
I previously posted for crew and found some folks that were supposed to be here last Thursday the 4th of Feb. Rented a car, went to the airport, waited over an hour and they never showed, never texted, emailed or called over the last week... I am not sure what is with people these days, but I am a real person born and raised in Boston, MA and I do what I say and say what I do...

Enough about their bad karma! I am a happy sailor currently in San Juan aboard a Tayana 42 Vancouver with my two Yorkies Linus and Lucy. I normally single hand, but am interested in either a straight shot from here to Miami, or here to Bahamas and island hopping through the Bahamas on home. I wish to avoid the DR and plan on stopping in the Turks and Caicos to rest up and explore a bit.

The SV Que Sera Sera is very well equipped with new sails, engine, furlers,genset, standing and running rigging including chainplates, AC, watermaker, SSB, liferaft, etc. She is cutter rigged and sails like a dream with autopilot, radar and a 12" Garmin plotter. I am seeking one or two people with bluewater experience. I will cover food and will ask for donations towards beer and wine, you just have to have a good attitude and get here. You will need a lifevest and PLB, I have two extra tethers and always deploy jacklines. You must be physically fit and able to paddle a dinghy for shore excursions as it has no motor.

I can get along with most people and am a pretty calm person. I have been out sailing for the past 27 months. I believe in safety first and do not take any unnecessary risks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151210_111705.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	405.9 KB
ID:	118770   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151217_161447.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	425.5 KB
ID:	118772  

Old 11-02-2016, 18:22   #2

Boat: 19' Lightning
Re: Tayana Double Ender San Juan to Miami ASAP

So, when ah you planning on leaving and ah you headed downwind to FL oah on a beam reach to the Bahamers?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 12-02-2016, 03:41   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31

Delivery Captain here and available. We do many owner assist deliveries. Let me know if we can help. Ccptmarlena@yahoo.com.

Capt. Marlena
Island Sailing Yacht Deliveries
Old 12-02-2016, 11:52   #4

Hi Joe,
Let's talk...
David, also from Boston
Beckerand@yahoo.com

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 15-02-2016, 15:51   #5

Boat: Camper Nicholson 40

I am available after March 1. Just turned 60, in great shape and own and sail a 40 Camper Nicholson on the Chesapeake.
Please advise if that might work. My email is recyclepickup@gmail.com.
Thanks,
Mark Allen
Kilmarnock,Va.
Old 23-02-2016, 13:30   #6

Boat: Other Peoples Boats :0)

I have a delivery captain that can get you up the Pacific coast line as far as you want to go~~reasonable rates and get 'er done crew.
Old 23-02-2016, 21:41   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 18 ft avon

Gee I wonder who that might be ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr. WOSH View Post
I have a delivery captain that can get you up the Pacific coast line as far as you want to go~~reasonable rates and get 'er done crew.
Old 23-02-2016, 22:41   #8

Just casting the line ~~you never know what you'll catch :0)
Old 24-02-2016, 15:08   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 18 ft avon

You do realize this is east coast don't you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr. WOSH View Post
Just casting the line ~~you never know what you'll catch :0)
Old 24-02-2016, 15:51   #10

We're ready. Father/son team (son is 22). We can go. Not a lot of experience (I did a delivery from Mystic CT to USVI some years back), but we're self sufficient, can cook, clean, fish and fix things. Both easy going and willing to learn and work hard. chris@chrisgreta.com
Old 24-02-2016, 20:29   #11

Boat: OPB (Other Peoples Boats)
Send a message via Skype™ to softgoodsint

Hi 'joebreck',
Just to ask, sounds like your getting enough folks already, but if not, I'm curious to ask: Do you have a new departure date in mind? I always have to match up things with my calendar before I can even volunteer. So if we were to match up on things, let me assure you that once an agreement to meet is established, I'd be there. I think I'm solid when I say that a large majority of CF member would be just as solid were they making a commitment.

So I did want comment on your savvy observation on human nature. This touches on a trend, one that seems more evident more every year (yep, I'm an 'old f...'). This seems to be exemplified by the half hearted (or less) lack of follow through on commitments or even to just have clear communications, never mind arriving at the dock. I'd say on CF it's less than half, of receiving replies to inquiries and subsequently starting conversations, and then some of those become 'let's go sailing' commitments. I've not had anything fall through at the last point like you did, but your experience is certainly a cautionary tale. (to be fair, this is with modest CF experience.)

In any case, I agree with your perspective on 'no shows'. I believe a majority of CF members would agree and they would, along with myself, view keeping one's commitments as well as maintaining clear communications is paramount, more important than just about any other crew member attributes. You were arranging and accommodating your plans based on the expectation of their participation, even if you didn't know the quality of their contribution ahead of time, but a self described "competent crew" is supposed to be present and accounted for before anything else.
Old 24-02-2016, 23:31   #12

Well that would be a funny joke~~now, wouldn't it...
If you can cross ponds you can do the east coast....
Old 25-02-2016, 08:38   #13

Hi Joe,

If you still need crew, I am available on short notice since I am between jobs. I am also very reliable and will show up when committed. I am 59 years old and have been sailing for 30 years. Have quite a bit of coastal experience but no blue water. Let me know if you are interested in me joining your crew.

Thanks

Zach
Old 27-02-2016, 07:43   #14

Two of us. Father and son (he's 22). We can be there Monday, ready to go. Will contribute generously. chris@chrisgreta.com
Old 05-03-2016, 06:42   #15

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Re: CREW FOUND Tayana Double Ender San Juan to Miami ASAP

Thank you all for your interest in getting some blue water miles...We just arrived on the 3rd to Hillsboro Inlet in Florida. The 1000 mile journey was a great mixture of huge, sustained beam on seas with high winds from San Juan to Turks and Caicos, followed by some relaxing banks sailing and finally a couple of legs of motoring through the Bahamas since the winds died.

I ended up with a friend joining me from Breckenridge and another gentleman from Boston from this forum as crew. We did the trip in 4 legs and about 2 weeks total, with a rest stop in the Turks.

I appreciate all of your support and will post again for the return journey back to the USVI right before hurricane season where I hope to go deeper down the Caribbean Islands and stay for a while.

Que Sera Sera shrugged off everything the seas threw at us, and nothing broke on the way home, so I consider that quite a successful passage...Old friendships strengthened and new friendship formed-what could be better?

Tags
asa, miami, san juan