Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2011, 10:28   #1

Boat: Endeavour Power Cat 44
pirate Tampa to BVI

I'm looking for a captain to help me take my power cat from Tampa, Florida to the British Virgin Islands this fall (more specifically, October). I would like to spend some time in the Bahamas along the way mostly in isolated anchorages. I will be celebrating my 70th birthday in October and my son and daughter would like to share part of the trip with me. Warning.....I travel with a parrot. She's a small one so you don't have to worry about losing a digit...Compatability with my family and critters is paramount. I would also like someone that is willling to share their knowledge along the way. I don't want to be "delivered"! Please contact me if you think you might be interested.
Old 14-05-2011, 11:03   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Re: Tampa-BVI

I might be able to help... PM with specifics and I'll send my rates and credentials.

With "business" out of the way... Have you researched traveling with a parrot? I have one (Severe Macaw) and unfortunately leave him home for int'l travels; the hassles are many.
Old 14-05-2011, 11:29   #3

The boat is being built and is supposed to be finished in August. I will go to Florida and spend some time familiarizing myself with it before the trip in October. I need to spend some time with details and will in the next few weeks. There is not enough paper to tell you the stories of traveling with my parrot. Short version...I have used the same papers, renewed every year, to travel back and forth with her for the last 4 years without a glitch until....trying to return into the U.S. in April. They stopped me, tried to confiscate the bird....I had to charter an airplane to get back to the BVI's and it took two weeks and my State Representative to get me back into the United States. A major waste of money, time and lots of stress. I have dealt with so many people, none of which have the same story, that it is unbelievable. Even though she had a chip imbedded in her chest identifying her as a U.S. Bird, required by the U.S. Gov....they didn't have a machine to scan it.....They also neglected to ever read her leg tag. They twisted it so now I am importing her from the BVI's as a wild bird into the U.S. despite all the stuff that proves otherwise. I have dealt with people from Wash. D.C., Virginia, Georgia, Denver, Cheyenne, Wyoming, Lusk Wyoming, on and on.....A U.S.D.A. vet is driving 5 and a half hours to swab her next week. Another U.S.D.A. vet out of Cheyenne has given me the name of a gentleman that does nothing but deal with this sort of thing with people in the military. They assure me that he will do the correct papers for me everytime. All I have to do is contact him and tell him when and where I'm going. We'll see.....just getting started on all of this. I would like to see your credentials and hear about some of the trips you've taken. Also, how good a mechanic are you? That is where I fail miserably.....It's not in the female genes.....though I'm probably better than most just because I've ranched all my life.
Old 14-05-2011, 16:36   #4

Boat: CSY 44 Walkover

Hi, Im interested in the captain position. I am currently working as a captain and engineer on board a 75 foot private motor sailor which will be lifted/stored from September 2011.
I have over 50 000 sea miles and hold an RYA 200 ton commercially indorsed ticket.
Was just wondering how long you are planning on for this trip and what rate you are looking to pay.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Lee
Old 14-05-2011, 18:45   #5

Re: Tampa to BVI

Hi. I'm thinking of leaving mid October or a little earlier, weather dependent. The time will also be decided by the weather. I do know that I don't want to rush as I'd like to see some of the remote areas of the Bahamas. As I stated, getting along with me and my family is most important, so we would like to get to know whoever it is I choose. I haven't even thought of a wage yet. I need to see what the going rate is and do some comparables. Is there anything else you would like to share with me about your experience? And it would be nice to know what your expectations are for the trip. Just to let you know, I have had a few responses to my inquiry, and it will take some time to make a decision. Thanks for responding.
Old 24-05-2011, 11:17   #6

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

You do know October is the second peak of hurricane season? I don't know the top speed for your power cat, or how many stops you plan, but this trip will take 1-2 weeks at 20kts. It is possible to dodge between tropical waves, (3-14 days apart), but the risk remains of being caught by one and having to find a safe hurricane hole. Sure it may only have 73 mile per hour winds, and thus not be classified as a hurricane, but you don't want to go boating in one anyway. And rough seas extend hundreds of miles away from one. Just thought I would mention it.
Old 24-05-2011, 15:40   #7

Thanks for the tip. Every trip that I have gone on from the East Coast, but further up north, we have always left mid October. Mostly to avoid the Noreaster's, which must not be a problem in Florida. The timing can be changed. Nothing is written in stone and probalby never will be since crossing oceans is always subject to Mother Nature. The boat's max speed is 16 knots. Again, thank you for the tip. I'm assuming you are not inquiring about being crew?
Old 25-05-2011, 06:45   #8

I might be interested in helping you out this fall. I have had my Masters ticket for over 18 years and use to live aboard and cruised the islands for 14 years. Lots of that time being in the Bahamas (about 3 years in total in the Bahamas)

The last post about hurricane season is something to keep in mind the whole way south. It's doable but just keep in mind where the next spot to hide is.

Not looking for wages just travel expenses. My wife and I are retired and do to a back injury my wife had to give up sailing 9 years ago.

I on the other hand am in good physical condition and age 49.We live down around Ft Myers in SW. Florida.

Would love to hear more details about your yacht and plans.

We are headed for the summer to South America in June but return around the beginning of what I consider the start of hurricane season here in Florida mid Aug.
Old 25-05-2011, 10:37   #9

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

I am a U.S.C.G. licensed captain. If you want additional crew I am available. PM for details.

I'm a little wary about the timing, but if you have the ability to get satellite shots of the Atlantic, you can see the storms far enough out to avoid them, or seek shelter.

If you wait a month, hurricane season is usually busted by late November.
Boating southest of Florida between August, and October is like a duck flying across a skeet range.
Old 28-05-2011, 06:22   #10

I am appreciating everyone's concern about the weather in October. My plans can be very flexible. I am going to talk to my children and see what is going to work for them. This trip was to celebrate my 70th birthday...so hey, at 70 you don't have to hit the day, right? I'm just glad to hit the year.....
Old 31-05-2011, 13:33   #11
cp1

Hello:

I read your post and am interetsed and qualified to do this trip with you. I am 56, and hold issue no.5 of my masters license (24 years). I am a trainer-instructor with Sea School here in NC, and have been teaching piloting & navigation since the 80's.
Reliable, congenial and very easy going. Owner assisted deliveries is my specialty. Please email me to dialog more details; captdougcp1 AT gmail DOT com. Thank you
Old 31-05-2011, 14:10   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

So just curious... What is the outcome with your feathered friend? I had a similar experience with mine... Wound up quarantining aboard, which was no big deal as we lived aboard anyhow.

To answer your question about mechanical ability, probably 9 out of ten, but with all the "will work for free" posts, I figure you don't even want to know my day rate! LOL!
Old 11-07-2011, 16:21   #13

Boat: 65' cat, sold

Two Steps, sent you a PM
Old 12-07-2011, 02:53   #14

Boat: "Makani Olu" 100' 3-Masted Schooner

Hey! Is this P.L.?

This is your former S.I.L. Sparky. PowerCat Huh? Nice work.

I should show up and captain your rig, that'ld get some laughs eh?

I hope you are well and Happy Birthday!

Tags
bvi