Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2015, 02:03   #1

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine
Surfing Crew Wanted Banyaks Nias Indonesia, Share Costs

Ahoy, we need one surfing crew member to help us finish this 2015 surfing cruise of the Banyak Islands and Nias in Sumatra.

Been out here since May and need a keen surfer to help with the costs and the sail back from Nias to Phuket in Thailand. Crew position starts on September 11th at Sibolga on Sumatra and finishes on November 14th when we return to Phuket in Thailand.
Cost is $1200 aud dollars up front and around $400 for each month afterwards. No more costs to you all food and boat costs supplied. You pay your costs getting to and from the yacht. Crew has their own private double forward cabin with a door on it, with led lights, usb and 12V sockets. Very cool and comfortable yacht in first class condition.

It is a hard core surfing cruise, surf 6 hours a day when its on! But not a charter boat, you must help with the cooking and watch keeping at night when making passages. The only hard part is the 5 day sail back to Phuket, which I enjoy, and the rest is living the dream in very isolated, uncrowded wonderful waves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=M6O9-xwnEa8

http://surfmachine-surfmachine.blogspot.com/

The trip back takes around 5 sailing days from the Banyaks. Up till then we are anchored in the bays and surfing mainly right hand waves in the Banyak Islands and Lagundri Bay on Nias and Bawa at the Hinakos Islands.

Sail aboard our 40foot aluminium sloop called Surfmachine with the skipper, Keith Stirling, 65 years old, and his wife Rebecca, 64 years old. I have spent 6 years surfing and cruising this area so far.

Please check our blog for heaps of useful information about past trips and what goes on aboard Surfmachine.

SURFMACHINE

Please email keithstirling1 at gmail for questions!
call indonesia +62 821 6642 4784
Thanks for looking

https://plus.google.com/photos/11173...Pye-LbQ15uXqQE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0231-002.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	450.9 KB
ID:	107508   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0601-002.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	398.0 KB
ID:	107509  

Name:	IMG_2331.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	405.3 KB
ID:	107510   Click image for larger version

Name:	keith at nias oct 17th 2012.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	397.6 KB
ID:	107511  

Name:	IMG_0002-009.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	427.9 KB
ID:	107512   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003-013.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	417.3 KB
ID:	107513  

Name:	20140523_095859.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	421.3 KB
ID:	107514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Surfamchine at machine gun rights-001.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	107515  

Old 18-08-2015, 02:35   #2

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Re: Surfing Crew Wanted Banyaks Nias Indonesia, Share Costs

"Try not to contemplate us as hotel like accommodation services with staff to look after you. Be more than just visitors in our home but proud of your contribution and achievements in this overall voyage of exploration and discovery. Every voyage segment is not just putting up sails but careful strategy and execution – deciding on destinations, weather and ocean condition research, making up the provisions lists, shopping, boat preparations to sail, the details and techniques of live-aboard environment, ongoing navigation, safe anchor strategies . . . Each day is part of a unique experience with distinct accomplishments (beginners are more than just observers). The idea is to hesitate from driven agendas and endless logistics of internet reservations, commercial transportation, taxis, luggage handling etc, Etc. This incorporates travel, accommodation, meals, and activities as one indulged sailing experience."

No sailing experience needed. Must have reasonable surfing skills!
Old 19-08-2015, 21:07   #3

I liked the first video shot from the dingy, it made my mouth water!

Was that spot "Joysticks"

I have seen the other videos before.

To be clear you require $1200 down for the first month, then $400 for the next month?

what is the min time?

what about for a couple with only one surfing?

Cheers!

C-man
Old 19-08-2015, 21:19   #4
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Surfing Crew Wanted Banyaks Nias Indonesia, Share Costs

Good on ya Keith
Old 19-08-2015, 22:09   #5

C-Man
Ahoy mate. A couple is fine.
Own double cabin. Limited storage though!
Would have to contribute more? What do you reckon?

Mate, the idea is that you get to surf this area up until we get a good weather windows to sail the 4 days minimum back to Phuket in Thailand. Only one option. The whole trip from Sumatra back to Thailand. Around 2 months, ending mid November 2015. It is not a bus you get off of at any stop!
We start looking for the passage back around first week in November. Free surfing up till then!
Yes $1200 aud to come on the boat and the $400 when the second month comes up. No other costs! $35 USA for security clearance with Indonesia government and your name on the ships cruising permit.
Re the video. I can't see them here in lagundri. Net is too slow. Maybe treasure Island or lol oak point. Is it a right or left.
Please look at my blog. Surfmachine-surfmachine.blogspot.com.au
Cheers from Keith.

Sent from my GT-S7582 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 19-08-2015, 22:11   #6

It's lolock point in the bay of plenty. My favourite wave after treasure Island. Needs a big swell to work.

Old 20-08-2015, 02:18   #7

I am not worried about the money whatever is fair,

but we should both be so Lucky having her aboard!
my beautiful sweet younger wife is the best cook in the entire world!

I ride a kneeboard and mostly like the smaller waves on the inside so I will not be competing for waves with you, you can have all the sets.

I can sail and crew, neither of us gets seasick, Mila my wife gets queezy below when underway

we will be in Bali from Aug 27- Sept 20 so we will be close anyway.

How many people were you planning on taking?

Cheers!

C-man

PS: what are your thoughts on Alloy boats? we are looking to buy a cat pretty soon.
Old 20-08-2015, 03:02   #8

Ahoy C-Man. Only 1 person. But it is a double cabin!.
We don't often surf alone. 4 charter boats there and no inside as shallow coral . We so sit in a line and take it in turns.

You could join after 20 September but we really need someone to help sail the yacht back to Phuket in Thailand in first weeks of November. When there is a good weather window. Will you have a long enough visa?
Cheers from Keith.

Old 20-08-2015, 03:04   #9

Alloy boats are great. Ours is alloy. Cats are great up here. Very little sailing. Mostly motor sailing.

Old 20-08-2015, 03:29   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfmachine View Post
Been out here since May and need a keen surfer to help with the costs and the sail back.... ....cost is $1200 aud dollars up front and around $400 for each month afterwards. No more costs to you all food and boat costs supplied. You pay your costs getting to and from the yacht.... ...But not a charter boat, you must help with the cooking....
Just curious, how is this not a charter? Because you need help cooking?
Old 20-08-2015, 03:40   #11

Keith-

I am trying to work out your email addy

you say; Please email keithstirling1 at gmail for questions

so is that

kiethstirling1@gmail.com ??

Cheers!

C-man
Old 20-08-2015, 04:03   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Just curious, how is this not a charter? Because you need help cooking?
I had exactly the same thought. When I first quickly read the OPs "offer", I thought that they needed cooking and sailing help, and were offering $1,200 plus the monthly $400 as "pay".

Sounds like a charter to me, or just a bunch of surfers out of cash.
Old 20-08-2015, 04:29   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Because in most countries it is illegal to run charters unless registers/licensed and paying taxes.

It is quasi legalish to "share expenses"
Old 20-08-2015, 04:31   #14

It's the disingenuous nature of these types of "I'll get someone else to pay for me to live the dream" posts always get my goat. Just because the skipper doesn't feel like cooking for himself and wants someone else to do it for him, that's what makes the offer "not a charter" when it sounds like a charter in all other respects?

Of course with a charter the guest picks the destination, when you pay to crew you travel at the whim of the master. Maybe that's the difference, paying to have no say?

On the up side surfmachine is at least offering great surfing in a beautiful spot for the privilege of "paying to crew" unlike so many others who just want to pass the buck for the fuel and everyday expenses that are a normal part of a cruisers life. Surfs up!
Old 20-08-2015, 05:36   #15

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder

Its not a charter as around there they are $4,000 for 2 weeks.
Share of costs more like it.
Cheap share of costs too.
Keith has been going there every winter for a few years too.
So hardly a charter business.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
crew, wanted, crew wanted, Indonesia