Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2008, 10:26   #1

Strongest Urge and One Question

Hello, all.

I'm a semi-novice sailor (sailed around the Keys and a bit on the Great Lakes), who woke up one recent morning with the strongest urge to take to the water.

I've cold called captains and emailed yacht delivery companies, but to no avail...

Could you please suggest a more productive way of building my sailing chops? Is there someone you could recommend I get in touch with?

I'm a fit (physically, emotionally...), 28 yr, male, with a very quick learning curve and desire to learn about sailing. I'm hard working and fun, a solid cook, well-traveled and ready to ship out.

Any info would be greatly helpful.

Thank you,
Ari
Old 31-03-2008, 12:10   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Being a semi-novice really does not place you in high demand. Keep trying is about the best advice. Sometimes there is a last minute need and just a little experience puts you ahead of those with none.
Old 31-03-2008, 13:01   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Is there a yacht club in your area? Many have crew lists of people who just want to go sailing and many skippers are looking for people who are enthusiastic and NOT yet trained and set in their ways. Most clubs don't even require that you be a member to get on the crew list. Also, get down to the docks early when people are prepping their boats for a race...many people need an extra crew member. You may start out as "rail meat"...meaning weight on the rail to keep the boat flatter, but thats a good start. If you learn quickly, you may end up as a grinder or a tailer on the next race.

The key is to be friendly and enthusiastic...and ultimately, reliable.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 31-03-2008, 13:50   #4

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Why don't we merge this with his other thread.
Ari, You had also posted on my blog so let me add that Thomas suggestions are your best bet. Hit the local marinas on weekends and strike up some conversations with owners that actually take there boats out on weekends. Find out what days and evenings the local races are done in your area and be on the dock before race time. Someone always doesn't show up and last minute crew can be valuable. If there are bulletin boards around the marina put up some 3X5 cards with your info and you are willing to crew. Some owners may call when they need to move their boats and no one to help.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 01-04-2008, 17:58   #5

Try looking at Find a Crew.com & Crew File, Just Google Crew. You can list yourself or look for boats looking for crew.
Old 02-04-2008, 13:16   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Ari, are there local yacht clubs that have a weeknight or weekend racing program? Most do, and there are always boats that need crew, especially in higher winds or bad weather (hot or rainy or cold).

Be there, typically an hour before race start times for local races, dressed to sail in boat shoes, and either ask "Do you need crew?" as each group goes by, or (I swear) I seen a guy wearing a sandwich board, that said "NEED A RIDE" on the front and listed his experience on the rear. And he got a ride, in an overnight race wher esomeone was short crew and the wx was turning heavier than they'd expected.

Be honest about your skill level and any relevant points that people might see as positive. Print up some business cards or post cards on your computer that have your name and number, and the same information (keep it short!) and ask folks if thye'd take one and keep you in mind.

A lot of folks get started that way, bumming rides on boats that are short-handed and then working up from there. A lot of "good" crew are just unreliable and the guy who can show up on time, consistantly, for a whole season, winds up becoming really good crew.