Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2014, 18:57   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450
St. Thomas to Annapolis Maryland

Looking for one more person, to join our humble and fun group, and help crew a Lagoon 420 from St. Thomas to Annapolis. Hope to leave May 10, weather permitting. Looking for someone with ocean experience, as we will not be traveling along the coast. Unfortunately, I will not be able to pay travel expenses but will keep the boat well stocked with rum

john@caribbeanoffshoreadventures.com.
Old 29-01-2014, 05:55   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Norseman 400 40 feet long
Re: St. Thomas to Annapolis Maryland

What is your intended route? How many crew do you have already?
Old 29-01-2014, 07:14   #3

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearnow View Post
Looking for one more person, to join our humble and fun group, and help crew a Lagoon 420 from St. Thomas to Annapolis. Hope to leave May 10, weather permitting. Looking for someone with ocean experience, as we will not be traveling along the coast. Unfortunately, I will not be able to pay travel expenses but will keep the boat well stocked with rum

john@caribbeanoffshoreadventures.com.
LOL, Interesting way to attract reliable crew for a safe offshore delivery, by advertising the boat is well stocked with rum! Are you looking for crew or alcoholics? Your group may be forced to get a lot more humble and lot less fun if someone does something stupid or even clumsily because of the influence of alcohol, or if they are less than alert while on watch or are ill and can't stand a watch so force some other fatigued person to take their place or.....

On my own boat and on deliveries offshore that I've both crewed on and skippered, alcohol consumption has always been accepted by all to be limited to a glass of wine or one drink with dinner and that's only in good weather for those who are not taking anti seasickness meds. "Well stocked with rum" is great for coastal cruising (for passengers only, not crew while underway) or partying in the islands or once the anchor's down, but the very last type of person I'd want in a new crewmember whom I barely knew was that they were the type person who would be attracted by the presence of a well stocked bar aboard the boat, especially while underway on an offshore delivery.
Old 29-01-2014, 09:05   #4

You make a very good point! We are not alcoholics and don't plan to be lit the whole time. With that being said, I have no plans to give orders in regards to having a few drinks at night.

RJC: The route is a straight shot from St. Thomas to Norfolk VA. From there we head up the Chesapeake Bay. It's approx. 1600NM and will take approx. 8-10 days. There are 4 stateroom and I would like 4 crew. I have three now.
Old 29-01-2014, 09:08   #5

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch

A more important missing detail might be, what kind of rum are you providing? :-)
Old 29-01-2014, 09:13   #6

Boat: Valiant 40

While this is not necessarily the right place to expand on the subject, I would strongly advise you to ban drinking alcoholic beverages while offshore, particularly if you have people you don't know on board. What is moderate for one person is completely unacceptable behavior for another. Stuff happens when you're on the ocean, and if everyone does not have all their wits about them a lot can go wrong in a very short period of time.

Also, when you're sailing 24/7 offshore with a watch schedule, it's tiring and your natural rhythms are thrown off. Alcohol just complicates matters and can compromise your awareness and fitness to meet whatever might pop up.

Have a great trip!
Old 29-01-2014, 09:21   #7

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

May can be a little early to make a straight shot to the Chesapeake, as the cold fronts can still be strong and you will want to time your Gulf Stream crossing. If you have the time, you might consider the Old Bahama Channel route to Miami, then coastal hopping. Another way to break up the trip is a stop at Bermuda.

You really don't want to encourage drinking offshore--I have a pretty firm rule about no more than one beer or glass of wine per day after one experience with some Ozzies.
Old 29-01-2014, 09:31   #8

Thanks Suijin. Your advise is well taken, but if the boat is dry, I won't even make the passage.....and it's my boat. Obviously, if there is any heave weather on the horizon, we will abstain. I think we will have a little warning with satrad, weather files, and serious.

Rubikoop: My poison of choice is Mount Gay, but plan to let the crew make the finale decision.
Old 29-01-2014, 09:34   #9

I'm almost afraid to ask what an Ozzie is. Is that like in Osborne?
Old 29-01-2014, 09:51   #10

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Obviously, if there is any heave weather on the horizon, we will abstain. I think we will have a little warning with satrad, weather files, and serious.
Yeah we had all that too when we got caught from behind by a huge squall in the middle of the night off the Canaries. Winds went from 15 to over 45 knots in about 10 seconds, overpowered the wind vane and almost tore our already reefed genny. Five hours of doing 7 knots bare poles ensued. Good times.

No one ever expects the Spanish Inquisition.
Old 29-01-2014, 09:55   #11

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
LOL, Interesting way to attract reliable crew for a safe offshore delivery, by advertising the boat is well stocked with rum!
I believe OP didn't mean that way. It is just a sense of humor, I would not worry about. But it is nothing wrong to ask his on route drinking policy so everyone is informed.

Fair winds.
Old 29-01-2014, 10:01   #12

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
I'm almost afraid to ask what an Ozzie is. Is that like in Osborne?
Aussie?
Old 29-01-2014, 11:10   #13

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Thanks Suijin. Your advise is well taken, but if the boat is dry, I won't even make the passage.....and it's my boat. Obviously, if there is any heave weather on the horizon, we will abstain. I think we will have a little warning with satrad, weather files, and serious.

Rubikoop: My poison of choice is Mount Gay, but plan to let the crew make the finale decision.
The problem with that is that offshore there is ALWAYS heavy weather on the horizon, or you might be about to have a mechanical breakdown that needs to be fixed right away or be on a collision course with another boat that isn't paying attention or have something barely noticeable floating in your path that an alert person might notice but a slightly inebriated one might not, or a crewmember about to have a health problem or an injury or....I hope you get the idea. There's LOTS of "or's" out there! When any of those things happen you just can't afford to have your judgement or physical or mental abilities degraded even a little bit. Yes, it's your boat, but offshore the lives of the whole crew are in your hands and you need to be as close to 100% as possible at all times.

On land everybody has their own idea about how much is enough and that's their business in their own house. I very occasionally enjoy having 2 or 3 drinks in the evening on land or in a snug harbor with the anchor down, but as an offshore skipper I think it's one of your responsibilities to set a maximum limit, one that doesn't allow anyone to get in the position of being a drag on the crew as a whole, or be unavailable to perform their responsibilities or become a distraction. I've sailed with a number of skippers and crew and have never met anyone who allowed more than "A" token drink at happy hour or with dinner, and then only in good sailing conditions, and some skippers not at all. You just can't afford to have yours or your crews mental or physical capacities degraded because you never know when you might need to be at your best and someone else's life or your own life depends on it.

Besides, IF something randomly just happens to go wrong on this voyage that's not even your fault, so the Coast Guard and/or your insurance company or someone else's lawyers have to get involved, any of them just MIGHT check this advertisement for crew and see that you refused to limit your crews drinking and felt it important for yourself to drink while on offshore passage too. They're not going to like that, except of course for the lawyer because he'll be seeing big dollar signs.
Old 29-01-2014, 11:27   #14

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Fearnow -
Looks like your rum comment is a great way to find captains, not so hot on crew though lol.
It's also an excellent way to weed out those without a sense of humor.
If I had the time I'd go.
Have a safe trip.
Old 29-01-2014, 11:37   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: St. Thomas to Annapolis Maryland

This is where man management comes in..
some adopt the 'Captain Bligh'.. others hold the key to the 'Likker locker'..
The Royal Navy sailed and fought well in the N Atlantic on their daily tot of rum.. and a sundowner for the off watch never hurt.. as long as its not a 75cl one..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."

Tags
annapolis, Maryland