Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2014, 14:00   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: St. Thomas to Annapolis Maryland

Oh, I don't know, Boatie,

As we got older, we decided it was stupid for us to do anything that MIGHT (not saying it would) diminish our agility at sea, and we don't drink alcoholic beverages while on passage, as a general practice. We were embarrassingly young when that change happened. YMMV.

Ann
Old 29-01-2014, 14:11   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: St. Thomas to Annapolis Maryland

Each to their own judgements and limits Ann..
I'm like the OP.. I see no harm in a toddy of an evening if not on watch.. but do not encourage a 'session' so to speak..
Most folk I find are sensible at sea on passages.. and those likely not usually give the game away before we sail.. and one thing I know for sure..
I'll scare them into sobriety long before they get me worried..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 30-01-2014, 08:41   #18

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Each to their own judgements and limits Ann..
I'm like the OP.. I see no harm in a toddy of an evening if not on watch.. but do not encourage a 'session' so to speak..
Most folk I find are sensible at sea on passages.. and those likely not usually give the game away before we sail.. and one thing I know for sure..
I'll scare them into sobriety long before they get me worried..
Actually, your statement is just what I said, NOT what the OP said. His advertised inducement for crewing was a well stocked rum locker which isn't really too important to emphasize if all that is intended is a toddy in the evening when not on watch. The OP has specifically said that he wouldn't limit drinking by his crew and he's trying to attract crew by mentioning drinking. Fine for hanging out at the dock or even while anchored somewhere in good weather, but does that sound sensible to you for an offshore passage? I, like you and possibly Ann agree that it's fine to have a "toddy" or "sundowner" or glass of wine with dinner as long as conditions allow it, but simply wanted to make the point that it's pretty dangerous to apply the same standards to drinking while on offshore passage as you would coastal cruising or at anchor or on land, and if you induce someone to sail with you for the availability of rum, you're apt to get just what you asked for, someone who really likes/expects to drink rum while offshore, not necessarily a reliable crew member.
Old 30-01-2014, 09:34   #19

Boat: Lagoon 450

jtsailjt: Your getting your undies all bunched up, over nothing. I know the crew that is in place, and also know that I don't need to have this discussion with them. If they want to have a couple glasses of wine at night, and they are not on watch, have at it. As for the forth crew member that I am soliciting, he or she, will be very aware of what my expectations are. Good golly. I'm going to have to start another post, just to get back on track. :{
Old 30-01-2014, 09:40   #20

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Frankly I don't care much of alcohol in the voyage. Last years me and my friends crewed for two owners from SoCal to Hawaii. They were drunk most of the time. We had more beers and hard liquors than bottle drinking water. Towards the middle of the trip, bottle water was gone. We need to drink water from the tap which turned out be OK despite the owner said no drink from the taps.

In essence, My friend and I sailed most of the way to Hawaii. Sometimes, just one beer a day does not work. Subsequently all other will suffer.

Please be nice.
Old 30-01-2014, 10:10   #21

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearnow View Post
If they want to have a couple glasses of wine at night, and they are not on watch, have at it.{
First off, it's your boat and they are your friends. I know people who can knock back a few beers and be as sharp as a tack at a moment's notice. Everyone is different, and my primary concern was that last "unknown" crew member who you bring on. You don't know what their habits are, and alcohol is a bit of a slippery, grey slope in that area. At least telling them up front that there will be no alcohol is a good filter; if they back out because of that rule then there is a pretty good chance you did not want them on the boat.

To your above comment, when stuff goes pear shaped is precisely when you need help on deck, and if everyone off watch is a bit fuzzy it can be a real problem. It really comes down to your appetite for risk, really, and there's a spectrum from militantly anal-retentive to the other end where you have Capt. Ron. I'm not being judgmental in the least, just cautionary, just in case that was not clear.
Old 30-01-2014, 13:25   #22

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearnow View Post
jtsailjt: Your getting your undies all bunched up, over nothing. I know the crew that is in place, and also know that I don't need to have this discussion with them. If they want to have a couple glasses of wine at night, and they are not on watch, have at it. As for the forth crew member that I am soliciting, he or she, will be very aware of what my expectations are. Good golly. I'm going to have to start another post, just to get back on track. :{
My undies are just comfy thank you very much, but yours won't be if something bad happens just when everybody aboard has had "a few drinks" and is sleeping it off, planning to be just fine in 4 or 6 hours when their watch begins. Surprise, surprise, something unplanned happened and they're needed on the foredeck right NOW and it will really suck for everyone if they stumble and hurt themseves on the way or forgot their harness/tether because they're still a little groggy or they inadvertently do something that makes the problem worse. Offshore, you're never really "off watch" but are just temporarily moved down to 2nd or 3rd in line to handle the emergency. I don't know how you handle your watch schedule but with at least one new person coming aboard I assume you'll be doubling up with him/her for at least the first several watches in order to gain mutual confidence and to help them learn your boat well enough to sit a solo watch. That means that the most continuous rest anyone will have is 4 hours(yes?), and that includes time to drink a couple drinks, process the alcohol out of their system, and get quality rest so they are alert and ready to assume sole responsibility for your vessel so you and everyone else who is off watch can get some sleep without worrying about whether the guy on watch is really paying attention. "A couple drinks" doesn't sound like much but it's enough to get fuzzy headed and is just not a good idea offshore. But if it's that important to you, good luck with your delivery. I hope you find your final offshore delivery crewmember who is in search of a vessel that's "well stocked with rum."
Old 30-01-2014, 13:57   #23

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Warning: This is a sense of humor test.

"Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk."
Sir Francis Chichester

Tags
annapolis, Maryland