Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 07:17   #16

I would love to be a part of this trip. I am 20 years old and currently taking online classes. I have been on the water since I was one year old. I am looking for am chance to get away And enjoy life. It's been 2 yrs since I've been to the virgin islands and I feel it's calling my name. I can cook pretty good food while on a boat and can make even better boat drinks! Let me know if you would like a youngin aboard as a crew member!
Thanks,
Autumn
Jax,fl
Old 07-08-2010, 08:17   #17

Boat: All kinds of 'em, from 9' dinks to 100+' motoryachts, power or sail...
Send a message via Yahoo to robw_fl
Late August and through September is by far the most active part of the Atlantic hurricane season, and in this case a predicted most active season in quite a while. The fickle night lees will be the least of your worries when watching the weather. Keep an extra close eye on it. This trip isn't one to be taken lightly - many people mistake it for all sunsets and rum drinks - but for a passage that is more or less island hopping your way down - there are some tricky spots, and yes, the Mona can truly re-adjust your understanding of what water is capable of.

And from one of the posts/replies above - it sounded like you were going to put someone with zero sailing experience on a 3 hour night watch? Maybe it's just me - but that sounds like it may need some re-thinking.

Anyway, good luck on your trip. Be careful, be safe and enjoy it when you get there. You will likely have earned it by then.

Rob
Old 26-08-2010, 11:03   #18

Boat: 34 Hunter Sloop, Savvy?
Send a message via Skype™ to LeifErickson
Made it to Providenciales a couple of days ago. Getting fuel, etc. for the trip to DR. I'll have to tell Bruce to elaborate on Mayaguana a bit more in Luperon. Things got thrown around a bit but all is well.
Old 26-08-2010, 11:32   #19

Boat: Tayana 37 "SAILACIOUS"
"I'll have to tell Bruce to elaborate on Mayaguana a bit more"

Does that mean you bumped? I found that chapter missing much as well!
Old 26-08-2010, 14:19   #20

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Todays Hurricane report as Danielle curves well to the north.
(Caribbean Hurricane Network - Caribbean Hurricane Network - stormCARIB.com - Local Reports on Tropical Systems threatening the Caribbean Islands)

sail safe

Soon to be TD#7 and quickly TS Earl is lagging far enough behind Danielle so as to not get caught up in a battle to share the climate's storm resources available and should become a hurricane in his own right. Very early guidance suggest Earl will trek closer to the Northern Antilles but miss by about 500 miles. At this point, all bets are off until it organizes better. The quicker it organizes, the quicker it should curve. 500 miles isn't much room for error so don't take that for granted. Regardless of what the computer models and forecasters think, these storms will do what they want to and it's not always what the professionals and machines think.

Behind unnamed Earl is several more waves on the African continent and it looks like the train is ready to run at full speed for a while.
Old 27-08-2010, 04:23   #21

Boat: 41 Morgan OI, Loose Change
Leif,
Glad to hear that you got away. We will be looking for you in the Virgins. Keep an eye on Earl.
Steve
Old 27-08-2010, 08:40   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
I made that trip once in August...... NEVER AGAIN!
Old 30-08-2010, 14:10   #23

Hello to cruisers following my thread.
We sailed from T&C to Luperon arriving yesterday afternoon.
Flushing the manifold out with muriatic acid concoction i picked up in town to get whatever gunk is raising the temp when running at high revs one leaving big sand and when entering luperon. already changed the oil, oil filter and fuel filter this morning and she's running good (besides the coolant makeover). bow sprit came loose and i got some hardware at the ferreteria in town to secure the rig. dropped a letter to my daughter in town and hit the wifi/bar/pool spot to post pics on fb and make the log awaited contacts with civilization.
Earl will bring wind to the area and a LOT of rain tomorrow, but not TS levels. Nevertheless, Luperon is a better protected area in the carib, so once the next disturbance to the east of earl shows what it's doing, i can call our next shot.
In the meantime, $3 buffets and relax is what I need to ease the tension on my bones. Don't drink up all the cold beer, Steve!
Old 31-08-2010, 16:38   #24

rooting for u

Cap't...

Watching u...let me know if can help in anyway short of leaving for month..

Ray
Old 02-09-2010, 12:12   #25

hanging in luperon for a while. life is good.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:56   #26

Hey what's up? I am in the process of purchasing a 30-35 ft sailor that me and some friends are going to be sailing from Ft Lauderdale to the USVI the begining of November and am looking to maybe find a buddy boat for the voyage. The purpose of the trip is that I have ran a parasail boat here in Lauderdale for 15 years and we are going to relocate it to St Croix, Im gonna train a crew to run it andhave partnered up with my buddy who owns a charter business St Thomas where Im gonna do daysail Charters. If Interested drop me a line on here or shoot me an email at badfish2 at live dot com
Capt. Davey Jones
Old 07-09-2010, 13:04   #27

Sorry Leif, I was reading one of your older posts & thought that you were still stateside. If anyone else is gonna be making this voyage and is, or knows anyone that is interested in crewing on one of our boats, or wants to buddy up let me know

Fair, Winds, Safe Harbor & Strong Timbers
Capt Davey Jones
Old 12-09-2010, 13:35   #28

Badfish2, that might work for me. Let's talk when you're here. Happy sails.

Tags
florida, Virgin Islands