Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 06:42   #1

SOS in Valparaiso

I am from Baltimore. I came to South America for a CELTA course (ESL). I have completed it now, but I am broke and I need a way home to the States. I am in Valparaiso, Chile. I heard this would be a place to find work on a yacht. I have sailing experience, as sailing classes in college and a summer of day cruises in Annapolis. I am 26 and an ABS. Any advice would be helpful as well. Thanks.
Old 02-11-2010, 14:24   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
A couple of items come to mind.

1 - Offshore Passage Opportunites is a paid site ($200/year) to hook you up with a ride. Still, you might be able to work out a deal somehow or get some info.

Offshore Passage Opportunities: Halesite, New York

2 - SSCA (SSCA.org) Seven Seas Cruising Association has what they call "Cruising Stations." These folks have local contacts. None in Valpariso but 4 in Chile. No idea if they can/will help or if I am even supposed to distribute the contacts but........

Be nice to them please, they are volunteers.

Caleta Los Morros de Coliumo (Ensenada Rere)
Knick and Lyn Pyles
hkpyles_AT_dccnet.com

knicklyn_AT_yahoo.com
(email any time of year for
information)
C 011 569 896 1837

Chile
Puerto Montt
Catalina
Andrea
Yovane-Garcia
And

David Tideswell
Phone Home: 56 65 287733;
Cel - 56 99 7911722
caturra_AT_hotmail.co.uk

Robinson Crusoe Island
Pedro Niada and Fabiana
Persia
Phone +56-32-2751227
p
edroniada_AT_endemica.com

info@endemica.com

Castro, Chile
Isle of Chiloe
William Bannister
H +56-65-671189
wbannist_AT_entelchile.net
marinaquinched_AT_gmail.com

The SSCA Cruising Station Program was developed in the 1970s, with an emphasis on camaraderie and a “One World” philosophy. Since then 115 volunteer Cruising Station Hosts worldwide (and growing in numbers each month) welcome our members to ports near and far, promoting the cruising tradition of world class hospitality. If you’re sailing to one of our CS locations, contact them in advance to take maximum advantage of local knowledge and the warmest of welcomes.

Old 03-11-2010, 22:01   #3

Not many passages along the Chile Coast because of the north Humboldt current, and few good ports for cruising vessels. Try to get to Quito - there may be some cruisers going to the Galapagos Island then back to Panama which is where you will get your ride back to the states. Panama or Cartagena are the two best places to connect. I have been a member of Offshore Passages for several years and I have never seen a passage from or to Chile....Good Luck!!
Old 04-11-2010, 09:13   #4

Correction I wrote Quito but meant Lima Peru - You need a cruising permit to go to the Islands which you have to get in Lima and that can take 3 weeks - so there is good opportunity to connect with people coming and going from there......

Tags
ais