Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2011, 04:27   #1

Boat: Catalina 25' (1970)
Some Experience - Female Tall Ship / Large Schooner Deckhand - Massachusetts

Hi! I'm a 22 year old female deckhand looking for sea time in either a volunteer capacity or for a stipend. Ideally looking for a vessel headed for the Caribbean and surrounding waters. Available after 7/18/2011 through next year, and ideally out of a port somewhere between Maine and RI (easy to get to from my current position).

I have some experience so far in tall ship work. Worked on some large schooners and tall wooden ships (140-170 feet length). I don't have a lot of actual sea time so far, but I have countless dockside days. I'm willing to learn and be serious about the responsibilities of sea travel, while having fun with the journey and gaining more sea time.

I'm looking at the possibility of taking several months off school as part of a voyage for this, mostly over the fall and spring, but to do so I need to book the technicalities ahead of time, which is why I'm posting so early on this.

I want to learn as much as I can, and I'm pretty serious about it. I am looking for the sea time and the adventure of it!

One word of caution: If you're looking for companionship or whatever, I am not the crew member for you. Sexual favors are not welcome in a crew setting. I'm a smart girl, and I'm not looking to put myself into a dangerous situation.

If you have a need for a serious, yet friendly and knowledgeable crew member, please don't hesitate to private message me to work out the details!

Fair winds!
Old 14-06-2011, 04:30   #2

Boat: private yacht always moving
Re: Some experience - female tall ship/large schooner deckhand, Massachusetts

what tall ship did you sail on
Old 14-06-2011, 04:32   #3

Currently the SV Friendship of Salem, and I just got back from a small trip on the SSV Harvey Gamage.
Old 14-06-2011, 04:45   #4

Not familiar with the Friendship but know the Gamage. I sailed on the Gazala, Niagara, Bounty, virginia, and about 5 others,,,,i was born about 100 years to late,,,,there is nothing like being in the rigging of a tall ship while underway,,,we were doing 9.4 knots while up in the tagallent ,,been up the rigging of the moshulu, tall ship converted into restaurant ,,,enjoy your sailing
Old 14-06-2011, 04:49   #5

take a look here
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ale-61351.html

be-careful and be safe

might also help if you posted photos of you in a bikini,,,,you get more replies faster that way
Old 14-06-2011, 04:51   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
Not familiar with the Friendship but know the Gamage. I sailed on the Gazala, Niagara, Bounty, virginia, and about 5 others,,,,i was born about 100 years to late,,,,there is nothing like being in the rigging of a tall ship while underway,,,we were doing 9.4 knots while up in the tagallent ,,been up the rigging of the moshulu, tall ship converted into restaurant ,,,enjoy your sailing
Ah, sounds wonderful! Thanks, hopefully I can find a good crew to work with!

Also, no bikini/sexy pictures. Too suggestive in a way I'm not comfortable with. Like I said, it's not about the looks, it's about the work and the crew.
Old 14-06-2011, 05:20   #7

Also, no bikini/sexy pictures. Too suggestive in a way I'm not comfortable with. Like I said, it's not about the looks, it's about the work and the crew.

that was a joke,,,there are lots of good sailing opportunities out ther just pick the right one,,,,look under the crewing forum,,,there are many to choose from,,several have more than 1 person onboard,

look here

Crew Positions: Wanted & Available - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

i have no less than 15 email from owners looking fro crew,,you might have to pay for some food and your flight but it is worth it

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...une-61088.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...uda-62229.html

now is the time that lots of boats are coming BACK for the islands due to hurricane season
Old 15-06-2011, 08:33   #8

I'd sort of like to find something going from the USA East Coast, preferably as north as possible, to somewhere else. I guess after July 18, I don't really care where the wind takes me, as long as there's crew quarters, food onboard, (and maybe a small stipend for the work?,) I'll be more than happy to crew for it!

I did a look over of this forum, and it seems that most people are going from other places here to the USA, and the plane ticket from my position to those ports is the issue
Old 15-06-2011, 10:51   #9

might wantto think about heading to newport RI,,,there are lots of sailboats there,,,,you might even be able to find work on one full time for the summer
Old 15-06-2011, 11:50   #10

Boat: 30' CATALINA C30

Good luck, and for sure be safe. I hope you find what you are looking for and that it turns out to be a great experience you can carry in your memories for your life.
Old 15-06-2011, 11:59   #11

Boat: 58 Taswell AS

You will have to have a return ticket back home if you get off a boat in the Caribbean. The skipper will be responsible for your leaving the island. You can sign up as crew on the Caribean 1500 that leaves Hampton, Virginia in early November. These are usually non-paid crew positions but food is provided during the event.
Old 15-06-2011, 12:00   #12

you might also want to check out the following links

they are for professional crew and people who want to work on yachts

CrewUnlimited.com - Professional Crew Placement - Yacht Charter Marketing & Brokerage Firm - Crew For Yachts - Jobs For Crew - Yacht Crew Agencies - Yachts For Charter

Neptune Group

Private Yacht Crew Agents | The Crew Network: International Yacht Crew Placement Agency

there is also an office in newport RI that handles this stuff,,,you need to do a google search,,,,,,,

Crew4Crew.*The Alternative to Crew Agencies - Online Yacht Crew Placement for Boat Crew Wanting Sailing Jobs

Tags
deckhand, Massachusetts