Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 15:36   #1

Some advice please

Hi all,

My name is Steve and I am hoping to get some advice here on how to get started with finding a crew position.

Firstly a bit about me, I am a 29 year old single male, fit and healthy and have no medical conditions, based in Brisbane, Australia. I work as a professional firefighter and have done so for the past 6 years and also have experience in communications systems from working as a fire service dispatcher for about 4 years. I own a small fishing boat and have spent time on the water my entire life but have no actual experience crewing on large boats. I love anything to do with water, kayaking, fishing, diving etc.

My plan is to take up to a year off work around 2015 to go on an adventure on the seas and plan to use the time up until then getting whatever certifications I would need. My main area of interest would be islands ie pacific, Caribbean, south east Asia.

But where to begin? What certificates? How to choose a voyage? What are the captains looking for?

Any advice appreciated.

Regards,

Steve
Old 10-06-2013, 15:49   #2

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: Some advice please

Welcome aboard Steve! While this topic was discussed at length, if you do a search on "crewing", you'll see plenty of threads. I'll go one extra step...realizing that you're not a US citizen, some of the listed requirements for a "six-pack USCG license" will not apply to you. Google what's in the quotes, and you'll find a list of topics/readings/certifications that you can pursue at your own leisure. Let's know about your progress. Good luck to you!

Mauritz