Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2014, 05:51   #1

Solo Traveler Looking to join Circumnavigation Trip

Hello, my name is Dustin. Iím 30 years old and originally from Chicago, but I currently live in Moscow, Russia. Iím originally a finance guy but after the economy crashed I became an international teacher living in China, France, and Russia. Over the past few years Iíve really caught the travel bug and have lifted my country total to around 40 on 5 continents.

Itís been a dream of mine to sail around the world but something I never thought possible because I know Iíll never be able to afford my own boat. Iíve looked into joining around the world (circumnavigation) trips like the clipper around the world race that you pay for but that race in particular wanted $75,000 for the whole circumnavigation and I donít know if as a teacher Iíll ever be able to save that much money for a home and a family, let alone to spend over a year sailing.

Iíve looked all over the internet trying to find more affordable programs but no other options offer the opportunity for the full circumnavigation. While searching I have discovered this website, and I hope I can get lucky and convince someone who is going to do this trip that I would make a great addition to their crew.

The problem with that is that my sailing experience is so little I feel the only honest way to categorize it would be level 0. So the question is then, why would you possibly choose me over an experienced sailor to join you on a trip?! Well, first, I imagine most people with experience expect to be paid. Aside from that they would expect some kind of fair sharing of the responsibilities on the boat.

I would expect none of that. I know that there is a lot of dirty work people would prefer to avoid on a long trip like this and you can throw all that on me! Aside from that I do have some savings so I can pay for most of my own expenses along the way. Aside from that, I have been to many different countries all over the world so I am very comfortable working my way through complicated travel situations. Iím also an amateur photographer, writer, and karaoke extraordinaire so I would make great company on a long journey. Or if you want me to just shut up and keep to myself then I can do that too!

I could go on but feel this is probably pretty long already so Iíll just leave it at that and wait any follow up or advice I receive from the veterans. Thanks a lot!

Dustin

dchav15@hotmail.com

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation