Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2015, 03:08   #1

SF

Dear all)
My name is Irina.
I am going to be in San Francisco, CA from 07/04/2015 till 17/04/2015/
And I have a great wish to have an experience in sailing this area.
Is it any chance to have two or three shot sailing-walks?
The navigation in most part of Russia is still closed and I really miss it.
From your side – giving me a great chance to enjoy the bay and views
From my - telling you about sailing in Russia and big thanks)
Thanks a lot!!!
Old 06-03-2015, 03:43   #2

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: SF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteliza View Post
Dear all)
My name is Irina.
I am going to be in San Francisco, CA from 07/04/2015 till 17/04/2015/
And I have a great wish to have an experience in sailing this area.
Is it any chance to have two or three shot sailing-walks?
The navigation in most part of Russia is still closed and I really miss it.
From your side – giving me a great chance to enjoy the bay and views
From my - telling you about sailing in Russia and big thanks)
Thanks a lot!!!
Welcome aboard Meteliza

I'm sure there wil be someone in SF willing to take you out for a couple of sails - otherwise, look around and contact a sailing club - there you will get all the sailing you can possibly want

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 06-03-2015, 04:02   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Irena.

Old 07-03-2015, 11:28   #4

)))))
Thanks a lot!
I think, it's better to discuss and organize it in advance) in other case I could be too shy or busy or will not know where to go) in fact, I don't know even what kind is the navigation in April in SF))))

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 07-03-2015, 12:23   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Greetings Irina!

If you do not find a member of this forum willing to take you out on a sail, there are some boats in the SF area that do "Sailboat Tours" (you could go as a single) of a "day sail" on the bay. The cost is not high, the boats are about 36 feet long.

As I recall, there is a female skipper who does this (paid tours) on her boat from Sausalito.

And there are several others, including the following $45 for a 90 minute sail, starting from Pier 39 (a very convenient location if you are walking around downtown SF).

A good thing about starting at this location is that is a prime area for seeing the city and the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz (about 1.5 mile from Pier 39). There may be other sailors in other parts of the SF Bay (which is very long/large) and it may take a long time (hours) to get to the "city front" if they keep their boats on the far periphery of the bay.

If you are considering several possible paid "sailboat tours" then I would ask to see where they start from in the SF Bay area. That will make a difference in what you will be able to see. I would prefer to start from either Pier 39 or from Sausalito if going on a sailboat tour (short tour).

San Francisco Sailing Co. San Francisco Bay Sailboat Charters & Tours

IF you have a choice:

If you only have one opportunity to go on a daysail and if you have multiple possible sources of the ride, ask if they will take you by the City Front AND if they will take you under the Golden Gate Bridge. Going UNDER the bridge is very memorable, but not all boats go there, due to wind and tide or lack of time.

Here is more information that will tell you about sailing on SF Bay.

San Francisco Bay is one of the best places on the planet for sailing, so I have no doubt you will find any kind of challenge or fun you seek there. I sailed there for years and enjoyed it very much. Have fun!

Since you are new to sailing SF, and I assume you would like to learn good places to sail, I will give you a link to a guide that is concise but helpful. It shows and tells with some good insights. It even has an itinerary for a day sail around the bay with tips on direction to go and places to see and things to do. I hope it gives you a good start. It was published by "Latitude 38" the local sailing rag (magazine) that has long been a source for good stuff related to sailing in the SF Bay.

http://www.latitude38.com/features/BaySailingGuide.pdf

Dress Warmly and in Layers When Sailing ON San Francisco Bay

I encourage you to dress warmly (or take warm clothing with you) when you go sailing on SF Bay. Even if the air temperature is "warm" in April and when you leave your hotel it looks like a "perfect spring day," the water temperature can be "cold" if you get spray on you.

So, take a waterproof or raincoat with you along with a fleece/sweater/jumper of some kind. In the summer, many sailors dress very warmly, including wearing "fleece" and even "watch caps" (woolen knit caps) AND many or most wear foul weather clothing (even on a bright sunny day). A set of sailing gloves is also recommended if you intend to help manage the boat, as hands do get cold. Of course you might not need it, but when you do, you will have it. Put simply, many tourists are NOT prepared for the "cool to cold" air and water temperatures when ON the water in a boat.
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2015, 20:46   #6

Boat: Freedom 38

Irina, PM me with your contact info and I might be able to take you out. That's looking to be a pretty busy time with meetings during the week and racing on the 11th, but if the weather is nice, I'm sure we can find a time to go.

If you like to race, then show up at any yacht club before they head out. Someone is always picking up crew. Check out Latitude 38's sailing calendar. There's usually a race any night of the week and often more than a dozen on any given Saturday by that time in April.
Old 07-03-2015, 21:22   #7

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Irina, PM me also, my wife and I might be available to go out on the 10th. That weekend will be what I call a "Flood weekend", meaning it's a flood tide during most of the morning and afternoon. That makes it tougher to get out the gate, but if we get some wind, it's doable.
Old 07-03-2015, 23:16   #8

Hi Irina!

Check out this Bay Area sailing club: Sailboat Rental, Charters, Fleet | San Francisco Bay Area Sailboats

They do plenty of daily/weekend racing or just sailing.