Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2012, 13:27   #1

Seeking to crew in the San Fran/Bay Area

Hello! My name is Daniella, I am completely inexperienced and new to sailing but dying to get out.

I'm enthusiastic, and extremely quick to learn. If you ever need an extra hand out in the Bay, please let me know! I'd love any/every opporunity to learn!

Thanks!!
Old 15-08-2012, 15:59   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Seeking to crew in the San Fran/Bay Area

G'Day Daniellia,

I would suggest that you utilize the Latitude 38 crew lists for your search. You can get the info from their website. Also, during the summer months, many yacht clubs sponsor "Beer Can" races in the evenings. Their format is that folks who want rides just show up on the docks in their sailing togs, hopefully clutching a sixpack of their favourite tipple and start looking for boats getting ready to go out. The whole thing is very informal and designed to get new blood introduced to sailing.

You will find that enthusiasm and especially reliability are the factors that most skippers look for in crew, not experience. Experience will come, but the other factors need to be there from the start!

Good luck from an old SF skipper

Jim
Old 15-08-2012, 17:11   #3

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: Seeking to crew in the San Fran/Bay Area

I second Jim's suggestion, Daniella. Going the 'crew list' in Latitude 38 has some advantages, not the least of which you get to read a bit about what they are looking for, who they are (many are club racers) and can lead to longer trips such as the Baja or beyond. Years ago when I lived in the Bay area, the mag was just starting out and I picked a guy to help with a delivery to LA. He ended up crewing for me for over 2 years on a variety of deliveries and went on to attain a 6 pack then his 100 ton license. Capt Phil

Tags
crew