Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2014, 09:49   #1

Boat: Catalina 250
Seeking Blue Water

Hi all,
In the coming weeks I will be seeking a crew position sailing to ... somewhere.

This has been a dream of mine for some time, and after I get some loose ends tied up, I'll be ready to go.

I believe I can be a valuable asset to a passage-making crew. I have moderate sailing experience (USSA cert., I've sailed my C250 in SF Bay, Lake Superior, Chesapeake Bay, Sea of Cortez, and many minor water bodies). I am also a nationally registered EMT, former Wilderness EMT, an experienced Le Cordon Bleu certified chef, HAM radio operator (KE7TPW), and experienced with computers and GPS (studied Geomatics). I also have also participated in many longish (30 day+) terrestrial 'expeditions' from Africa to high mountains to the low arctic, so I'm familiar with what it takes to 'get along' in harsh, cramped environments for extended periods of time. I don't scare easy, but am by no means reckless. Master's degree education level, clean bill of health, etc.

How does one seek the right captain and boat? How do I go about this? I hope to sail sometime this summer.

Tropics or high latitudes, it don' matter right now.

All advice welcome.
Old 17-05-2014, 17:45   #2

Boat: 21 ft sail boat
Re: Seeking Blue Water

If you are a certified chef, then the right captain will find you.
Old 17-05-2014, 18:25   #3

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

"This has been a dream of mine for some time, and after I get some loose ends tied up, I'll be ready to go."

Uglyhat, still trying to tie up those loose ends I see.
Its been almost 5 years to the day since you last posted almost the same exact message. Did you ever find any crew positions?

Old 17-05-2014, 18:35   #4

Ouch 5 years was it that long? I guess so. A woman came between me and my dreams. What can I say? It's not too late tho, hehe. Besides, my cooking and medical skills have only improved ;~).

That's actually a helluva reminder, OoC. It stung a bit, but thank you.
Old 20-05-2014, 13:04   #5

Boat: Tom Colvin, Custom 63'

How much experience do you have. I have a 1995, steel, 52' ketch and do not have much experience sailing. I need someone that can sail to Isla de Mujers, Honduras, San Andreas Columbia, then Panama. I am in no hurry and an adventure can be had. williamstanleykingathotmaildotcom
Old 22-05-2014, 16:24   #6

William, let me just say there are valid reasons I'm seeking an unpaid crew spot rather than a paid skipper position. I suggest you pony up and hire a an experienced, licensed pro.
Old 26-05-2014, 01:25   #7

*bump* actively seeking berth
Old 30-05-2014, 06:22   #8

Looking for crew to sail across Gulf of Mexico up to New Orleans next few days - going with wind and current...
Boat has all safety gear and sat phone/Epirb etc. fly into Cancun and ferry over to Isla Mujeras. If interested shoot me email we can sort out all details

Looking to depart Sunday June 1st so if interested lets communicate later today
Steve
Stephenlthorne@gmail.com
Text. 770.722.2848
Old 05-06-2014, 08:39   #9

Please see my add on crew wanted "east coast to west coast"
Doug 503 333 0695

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uglyhat View Post
Hi all,
In the coming weeks I will be seeking a crew position sailing to ... somewhere.

This has been a dream of mine for some time, and after I get some loose ends tied up, I'll be ready to go.

I believe I can be a valuable asset to a passage-making crew. I have moderate sailing experience (USSA cert., I've sailed my C250 in SF Bay, Lake Superior, Chesapeake Bay, Sea of Cortez, and many minor water bodies). I am also a nationally registered EMT, former Wilderness EMT, an experienced Le Cordon Bleu certified chef, HAM radio operator (KE7TPW), and experienced with computers and GPS (studied Geomatics). I also have also participated in many longish (30 day+) terrestrial 'expeditions' from Africa to high mountains to the low arctic, so I'm familiar with what it takes to 'get along' in harsh, cramped environments for extended periods of time. I don't scare easy, but am by no means reckless. Master's degree education level, clean bill of health, etc.

How does one seek the right captain and boat? How do I go about this? I hope to sail sometime this summer.

Tropics or high latitudes, it don' matter right now.

All advice welcome.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:07   #10

Boat: Leopard 48' Cat

Looking for crew for late next week to go from St Thomas to Miami/Ft Lauderdale
6/7 day passage on 48' Leopard Cat 2013 very well equipped
Interested??

Tags
water