Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2012, 11:36   #1

Boat: Stays'l Schooner, 85ft
Seattle to San Diego/Mexico July 25th

We are an 85' schooner leaving on July 25th heading south from San Juan island(RocheHarbor). If you are interested in a passage only (no fees) and have a little sailing experience, please let us know if you have a couple weeks to go sailing. Kick back environment, no serious vices or drama please! Contact us at Log In | Facebook (will take you to the facebook group).

email : ccrdivers at gmail . com
Old 27-06-2012, 14:25   #2

Re: Seattle to San Diego/Mexico July 25th

Are you really planning on sailing into Mexico in the middle of Hurricane season???????_____Grant.
Old 28-06-2012, 11:30   #3

Boat: Kent Ranger 24
I don't see the danger in an 85' boat going to southern CA in one of the prime weeks of the year. If I wasn't already on a boat that week from the San Juans heading to San Francisco I'd be all over this trip

I believe by definition the pacific doesn't have hurricanes but in tropical waters they can have cyclones

I think the majority of this trip is way too north to be worried abohurry lines. Yes we will be watching the weather and may have to duck in along the way but up here we fear winter storms not tropical storms
Old 28-06-2012, 21:43   #4

There is a big differance between going to Southern California , and continuing down into Mexico during Hurricane season. And yes, they are generally refered to as Hurricanes in the Eastern Pacific and Cyclones in the Western Pacific. The name of a storm doesnt matter if you get hit with one. The normal practice is to wait until mid to late November before going very much further south than San Diego. There are many threads on this forum concerning sailing in Mexico in the off season. Good Luck____Grant.
Old 29-06-2012, 02:34   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to jasonk

Hi Mike and Dawn. I'm a formally trained chef with my Canadian Red Seal certification. I have acquired levels 101 through 105 with the American Sailing Association. I have the STCW '95 (Northeast Maritme Institute, Fair Haven, Mass.), and I wrote and passed the USCG OUVP Captain's license exams (Seaschool, Panama City, FL). I also have my open water diving certification. Despite not having alot of sea time experience I know I could be a valuable member to your team. I would have to re-learn some things, mostly the electronics, but I'm an ambitious guy, I love to learn and, most importantly, I learn fast. I started taking the ASA certifications just because I was curious, but it turned into a fascination and a love of the sea.

I'm 46 years old, I live clean, I'm respectful of others, and I love to learn. In fact, what this trip represents to me is an incredible opportunity to learn. I obviously know how to take instruction/orders, and my commitment to sailing, through all of my courses, I believe, makes me an excellent candidate. What would be great is if there was an opportunity for an extended sail to get more sea time.

Sincerely,

JK
Toronto, Canada
Old 29-06-2012, 16:58   #6

Boat: Pearson 365

Sent you a message to your email. Looks like we could help each other on this one.
Old 29-06-2012, 17:20   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

one is able to sail in mexico during hurrycame season-- they form and grow farther south with some warning. they do not hit north of mag bay on the outside. once to mag, there is a passage of only a few days to la paz, which is spozedly safe in named storm season.
then, if ye feel brave, mazatlan is only 2 days sailing--maz is also spozed to be fairly safe from named storms--(i spent last summer there) -- is spozedly time for northers,, as usual, so could be a good passage...
WATCH WEATHER WINDOWS CLOSELY and ye can sail anywhere at any time.
if you are new at sailing, do not do this mexico trip south of la paz in summer without experienced heavy weather crew.

CHECK WEATHER DAILY

pnw storms are not too much different from hurrycames, which, YES, THEY DO HAVE IN PACIFIC, but the hurrycames have warmer water with the lightshow and hi8gh winds.
wind in a hurrycame can be kinda brisk--over 120 mph--wanna sail in that???? pacific seas get quite huge, also, as you know, and grow chop...and breakers--you have seen it angry in pnw---it gets angry here too.

july is getting close to really and truly forming of really truly hurrycames in pacific--now is just for practice--once the ocean warms up a lil more--is only 85 now--it will get to be 95--then we have fun. most storm formation happens in late july and thru oct.

do not do if new at sailing and have no heavy weather experience. northers CAN be fierce, but are mostly up to 40 kt winds. be ready for 60-70 kts, as those have been clocked off cabo and across sea of cortez.

i will be here in la cruz de huanacaxtle for the season--i will leave in oct- nov for places more south. if i am here whenye get here, say hay....
Old 29-06-2012, 17:53   #8

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Its the best time of the year for passages from PNW to southern waters!! and In a 85 ft staysail schooner it should be an easy trip!! yes ya can get some blows but this coast is easy to get offshore if needed! wish I was able to go myself love to sail on larger vessels, the wind that would put reefs in most of our sails, is just smooth sailin in a schooner of this size !! should be a trip to remember when ya get old !!!
Old 29-06-2012, 18:00   #9

What a fantastic opportunity this would be! I wish I could get away and join you. Instead, I'm doing the next best thing; joining your Facebook Group. The Destiny is certainly one beautiful ship. I'll be stoked to follow along as she makes her way south.
Old 29-06-2012, 18:08   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

forgot to welcome ye and say you will have a wonderful trip!!!
Old 05-07-2012, 20:25   #11

Thank you all for your insightful tips and suggestions. To put one matter at rest, we are arriving into San Diego and will be spending 6 weeks with friends/family and cruising around until the departure of the Baja Haha on October 28. Then, AND ONLY THEN, will Destiny be heading south into Mexico. We'll spend the winter months cruising from the Sea of Cortez south and pick up the Pacific Puddle Jump next spring. We aren't new to sailing, or to the weather patterns of the pacific. After spending the winter cruising the northern inner islands of BC, we've had our fill of chaos! LOL! Right now however, we're in a bit of quandry on the Pactor issue and what compression software to get - but that's for another forum.

Keep up the suggestions! We appreciate all the caring sailors interest in our travels.

20 days to go before we cut the dock lines!

Cheers,
Mike & Dawn
Old 05-07-2012, 20:53   #12

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Downhill all the way, Mike and Dawn. You are leaving the PNW at the optimum time and should have a sleighride all the way to SD. Just give the capes a bit of sea room on the way down (25-30 miles) as cape effect winds can pipe up a bit. Too bad you missed the July 4 fireworks in SD. I just talked to friends aboard their boat on Harbor Island and they thoroughly enjoyed all 16 seconds of the display!
The HaHa can be fun but busy so try and leave a bit before or after the major knot of boats push off. I got caught on a delivery from PV heading north several years ago, ran into the middle of the fleet and had to head outside of Cedros Island to avoid the mayhem. The radio traffic, even on 16 will drive you nuts!
you might consider giving Cabo a miss and either head for La Paz or across the Sea of Cortez to miss the craziness.
Fair winds and a breakage free passage to you and your crew. Capt Phil
Old 05-07-2012, 20:55   #13

Boat: Kent Ranger 24
I PM and emailed but got response. Did you fill your crew requirements?

Ltwud
Old 05-07-2012, 21:03   #14

[QUOTE=ccrdivers;984561]Right now however, we're in a bit of quandry on the Pactor issue and what compression software to get - but that's for another forum.
[QUOTE]

Quandry solved ... we just bought a Dragon DR7800 and all the do-dads and things that hopefully will be all the answers to our needs. Whew. Now for that irridium phone I want ..
Old 05-07-2012, 21:10   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltwud View Post
I PM and emailed but got response. Did you fill your crew requirements?

Ltwud
Thank you for contacting me again as it's been a little hectic this past week. Yes, we have filled our crewing needs for this first leg from San Juans to San Diego. We're very grateful to everyone that has contacted us or expressed an interest in sailing with Destiny.

She's a fabulous vessel and we're looking forward to many years together. The gollywobbler we flew yesterday seems to have been a real crowd pleaser too - check out the fb page to see that sail! Awesome.

Cheers,
Dawn

Tags
san diego, seattle