Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2011, 12:51   #1

Boat: Stays'l Schooner, 85ft
Seattle to San Diego Captain Needed

Custom Schooner, 85' - back in the water after 38 month restoration and upgrades. Looking for Delivery Captain to sail with us on initial leg of trip. 1300 km/8 - 10 days. Today's expected departure is Sept 20 from Port Townsend, WA. Please email if interested or have a recommendation to ccrdivers@gmail.com

Stays'l Schooner @ 48 ton. Have certified (or certifiable!) crew, just looking for costs for a Captain to go with us while we work out any additional system "glitches" that might arise after the completed shake downs that will be done before departure date.

Thanks!
Old 06-07-2011, 14:05   #2

Boat: Norseman 447
Re: Seattle to San Diego Captian Needed

You guys are killin me. I'd do the trip for FREE!!!

Hope all goes well for you. I've done 15 Baja trips and going down is the easy part. If you go back, seriously consider going via Hawaii. Been there done that.

Cheers, Greg s/v Cocokai
USCG 100 gt lic.
Old 06-07-2011, 19:07   #3

Greg, wish you could go with us too!!! And I just learned that we need a 100 ton licensed Capt. She's a big, beefy boat and we're really hoping that we'll meet you along the way. 15 Baja trips? Wow!! You are officially our new hero and still "out there" sailing. That's awesome.

Our plans are to do the Haha, hang in Mexico over the winter then head West with the Pacific Puddle Jump in April/May 2012. No plans to return to the NW for at least 5 years as we're hoping to do a circumnavigation with the shiney "new" old boat.

Thanks for the kudo's on the restoration project! She's been a real learning experience to be sure.

Where are you headed off to from Aus?
Old 06-07-2011, 22:13   #4

Boat: Norseman 447

Guys, If I didn't have comitments here, I would be be there in a second! I'm busy fixing stuff on our boat so we can head off to Indo, Malasia and be in Thailand for xmas. Our original plan was to do a 10-12 circumnavigation. Because of the pirate problems, we're up in the air after Thailand. Might spend a couple seasons there, might make the 7,000 nm slog back to Ca. and go down thru the canal and get to the med that way, or go around the bottom of Africa.

To find a captain: Try www.findacrew.com if you haven't already. I just registered a few days ago and have been overwhelmed by responses. I'm just looking for unexperienced crew but there are many captains on there.

My Girls have decided they could use a break after 5 yrs- full time cruising (I guess all the white sand beaches look the same now!), so I'm giving the wanna-bees a chance to enjoy cruising on the trip to Thailand.

Hope all goes well at the launch and Haha! Think about going to Ecuador before you do the puddle jump. It's cheap and a trip to Peru is awesome.

Cheers, Captain Greg s/v Cocokai
Old 07-07-2011, 05:30   #5
Marine Service Provider

Mike, and Dawn, I am interested in talking to you about doing the trip. I've been building and sailing schooners and trimarans since the early 80's. I can be reached through my website , www.seaworthysolutions.net or by private message. I am also a 100t Master , w/towing and sail endorsements, an ASA sailing instructor , and have numerous trans-ocean passages , racing trimarans, delivering boats, and cruising on my own boats. I look forward to hearing from you, Scott
Old 25-07-2011, 19:50   #6

Re: Seattle to San Diego Captain Needed

An update on the need for crew/captain. We are still looking for a delivery Captain and we have all the crew needed for the 10 day trip to San Diego. We would LOVE a Captain with schooner experience, preferrably with square sails (yard's). Destiny is 85 ton once all the fuel/water/stores/masts, etc are full, stepped and in place.

We have professional crew for the trip, just looking for a worthy Captain to join us.
Old 26-07-2011, 04:27   #7
Marine Service Provider

Add schooner experience , both sailing and building , to my list . References from deliveries this forum, my website , and direct from owners are available , Scott
Old 09-08-2011, 18:26   #8

Thanks everyone for contactin us for this trip. As of now, we have our full compliment of crew & captain. We are thankful to everyone's eagerness to join on this trip and wish we could take you all, but we'll just bring along all your phone #'s and contact info - just in case

Boat launches in 2 days. Mast will be stepped on the 16th and the original coin goes back under the main mast and our coin is going under the forem'st. Hope that's not bad luck or anything! Then sea trials begin. Sails start arriving next week sometime - and we're off on our own for 10 days around the 26th of Aug. Should be a hectic and wonderful couple weeks!

Tags
seattle