Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 17:17   #1

Boat: Island Packet 27
Seattle to San Diego

Good Day all,

First post to these forums. Been reading them for a while now. Lots of great info for just about anything. I thank everyone for that!

So I've just purchased my first sailboat a few weeks back. 27' Island Packet 1987 out of Lake Union in Washington. Currently I'm in the process of upgrading all the systems on the boat to the latest and greatest stuff. I now have a full understanding of the "Bring On Another Thousand" saying.

I have two other people that are coming along but I would like to have one person onboard that might have some of the heavy weather skills we all are missing. I maybe able to pay for a plane ticket but cannot afford to pay a delivery captain to make that full trip. Anyone interested in discussing options? We are planning on leaving around June 15th 2012 and running for as long as we can. Boat should have all the needed stuff installed by then.

I have AIS, radar, EPIRB, MOB AIS system (pretty neat stuff Safelink R10), VHF, wind generator, GPSmap 4210 (w/XM Weather subscription) w/full maps of west coast, GPSmap 276c w/full maps of west coast, new Garmin wind instruments, autopilot, as well as a full service on the vessels engine. Working on an SSB with email/weather fax still.

I'm not looking for a master sailer here (although I wouldn't complain) but I would like someone who has something to bring to the table (which doesn't everyone on this forum). I'm open to suggestion and thoughts. Hope to hear from you and have a wonderful rest of the day!
Old 08-05-2012, 07:17   #2

Re: Seattle to San Diego

Hey my name is Richard, I am very interested in participating in your adventure. I have some experience, but not too much. I have a good attitude, and i am a very quick learner. Right now I'm thinking I would be able to get out there my self, but I'm not positive.
Old 08-05-2012, 15:40   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Dali make sure the swells are down. Right now it is one Gale after another on the North Cali coast. Look at my crew wanted posts, (PNW) there are a bunch of good internet stuff you should follow....
Old 13-05-2012, 08:04   #4

I live in the Puget Sound area and am looking to learn about sailing, gonna purchase a sailboat. I could use some experience. Would be willing to crew, at my own expense.
Nadahappycamper
Old 13-05-2012, 16:40   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: other peoples
Send a message via Skype™ to Loco Gato

So your gonna have 4 adults on a 27' boat for at least a couple of weeks? Is that true? Could be done if watch keeping keeps one or two asleep. Shoot me an e-mail
Old 23-05-2012, 14:38   #6

Good Day all,

Wanted to give everyone an update. First, thanks to everyone who has replied to this posting. I'm still in the market for a skilled captain to come aboard and sail (at least part way) down with us. I thought I had someone that would workout but his plans just changed. If you have done this trip before and/or think you have what it takes to do it please let me know. I do have some money to spend for whoever it maybe provided it's within my budget. So if you think you might be interested, please PM me or just reply right here. Thanks so much everyone and have a wonderful day!

PLAN: I'll be coming up to Seattle from San Diego on June 15th. A few days prepping the boat and looking for the right weather, as we move towards Neah Bay. Once things look right we will depart. I'm planning staying off the coast 70+ miles if possible. I'd like to run for as long as we can without stopping. I'll pay for the provisioning of the vessel. I'm always open to suggestions.

Again, this boat is an Island Packet 27 so it will be a tight fit as I already have two other people coming onboard (looking for a total of 4).

Thanks again!

-tw
Old 25-05-2012, 08:58   #7

Boat: Irwin. 28 ft
Send a message via AIM to pdjb

hi
I have been reading your post,,I have a 28ft Irwin that I have on the hard in evereet,dagmar,I would like to do the same thing that you are doing, I work for noaa on a ship that goes all over .I plan on retireing next year around april and finish my boat and then get some exp.with sailing,,,,hope you get there and learn everything you want to need for sailing....pdjb
Old 25-05-2012, 09:13   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdjb View Post
hi
I have been reading your post,,I have a 28ft Irwin that I have on the hard in evereet,dagmar,I would like to do the same thing that you are doing, I work for noaa on a ship that goes all over .I plan on retireing next year around april and finish my boat and then get some exp.with sailing,,,,hope you get there and learn everything you want to need for sailing....pdjb
Hey pdjb,

Hopefully it will work out like that. This should just be the first leg of my "trip". Hopefully I can get what I need between Seattle to San Diego. But after I get it down here and do a few more upgrades, I plan on heading down south. I'm going to be heading down to the south pacific for a while. I have a friend down in Argentina that I'd like to go hangout with for a while. After that, the plan is for the Polynesian islands over to the .AU. Then who knows from there. I have friends in Japan and China that I would love to go see. But I guess before I get all out there in dreamland, I need to get a handle on things first.. Either way though, as far as I'm concerned, it's a done deal. Only been trying to put this together now for about 10 years now and finally I'm at a point where I can actually do it. Off the grid, visiting all the cool (and not so cool) people around the world. Thanks for the comments and good luck with the Irwin. Let me know if I can assist with anything and have a wonderful day (it is Friday!)!

-tw
Old 25-05-2012, 22:37   #9

Boat: Irwin. 28 ft
Send a message via AIM to pdjb

hi
Oh by the way,get a raft that holds 4 and get 4gumbe suits, heard about a lot of people who didn't think of these items when sailing....ships go down fast and you have 1 min to get to your station and get off...........stay about 20 miles of shore...with all your eletronics on board be safe and stay alert. you are in a sailboat not a ship.....we practice once a week on ship here.....if I was not on this ship I would like to go with you...but I will be in alaska on june 15....send me a post on here when you get down to san diego..........be safe and have a good trip..pdjb
Old 28-05-2012, 13:16   #10

Hello! This is exactly the timeframe I'm looking for (I'm due in SD towards the end of June), and would be happy to do this just for the experience. Here's my resume.
Old 01-06-2012, 18:52   #11

Good Day All,

I just wanted to give everyone an update on my situation. I have found someone to captain the boat as of now. Many thanks to everyone who has shown interest in my (big) little adventure. I'll let everyone know how it goes when we get back to San Diego. Again, thanks to everyone who showed interested and took the time to write me about it. Too bad I couldn't just bring everyone along but my boat is just too small.. Everyone have a great weekend and thanks again.

-tw

Tags
seattle