Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2012, 20:31   #1

Boat: Cascade 27
Seattle to Alaska May - Aug 2013

I am looking for crew for an adventure to Alaska next summer. Will consider taking someone up and someone else back. My boat is a Cascade 27. So this is not a luxurey cruise. I would want to get to know you and sail on some short trips first to make sure we get along before getting in close quarters for a long time. Let me know if you want to consider this adventure.

Alan
Old 02-11-2012, 13:19   #2

Boat: Folkboat
Re: Seattle to Alaska May - Aug 2013

Hello Alan,

Your post caught my eye. My friend, Cindy and I are considering flying to Seattle in early April and traveling north to Alaska, preferably under sail. We are currently on the Isle of Eigg, Scotland after just crossing the Altantic from St. Johns, Newfoundland. We are accustomed to small and large sailing boats alike, so as long as your 27ft. sailboat is seaworthy, we think we could make ourselves fit. How many years have you been sailing and what kinds of safety gear/marine communications do you have on board? What does your passage plan look like?

We look forward to hearing from you,
Cheers,
Megan and Cindy
Old 02-11-2012, 13:24   #3

^^^^^^^^^ and we have a winner!
Old 05-11-2012, 06:58   #4

I don't have an itinerary at this time. Other than I want to leave in May to hopefully take advantage of the southerly and westerly winds before they go light and northerly in the summer. I'm determined to sail as much as possible. So I will opt to go slow than to run the engine. We may anchor to wait for tides or beat into the wind rather than motor.
Genesis is seaworthy within limits. What I mean is she isn't rigged to cross the ocean right now. I have a 135 genoa on a furler and no solent stay. I have no self steering vane nor a spare rudder. And I don't have a life raft.

I do have a new main with 3 reefs and my genoa does reef to stom size and has proven effective in 35 knots. The boat sails well to windward or on a run in a gale. I have on board vhf and hand held. I have all coastgaurd required equipment. I don't know what I'm takeing for a dingy yet. My 11 foot RIB has a 9.9 4stroke and tows well and is nice to have for a spare engine and to use as a dive boat or to go explore but I don't think towing it across the open water would be wise.

You can contact me at alan dot niles (at) G mail-dot- com.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:59   #5

ehhh??
Old 08-11-2012, 19:35   #6

Update I may have crew for the leg up north. Now I need crew to get home. This would be roughly July 4th until Aug 15th. Planned pick up would be Juneau. This may seem far away but with all the planning needed I need to have crew lined up.
Old 08-11-2012, 20:20   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutter puppy View Post
I don't have an itinerary at this time. Other than I want to leave in May to hopefully take advantage of the southerly and westerly winds before they go light and northerly in the summer. I'm determined to sail as much as possible. So I will opt to go slow than to run the engine. We may anchor to wait for tides or beat into the wind rather than motor.
Genesis is seaworthy within limits. What I mean is she isn't rigged to cross the ocean right now. I have a 135 genoa on a furler and no solent stay. I have no self steering vane nor a spare rudder. And I don't have a life raft.

I do have a new main with 3 reefs and my genoa does reef to stom size and has proven effective in 35 knots. The boat sails well to windward or on a run in a gale. I have on board vhf and hand held. I have all coastgaurd required equipment. I don't know what I'm takeing for a dingy yet. My 11 foot RIB has a 9.9 4stroke and tows well and is nice to have for a spare engine and to use as a dive boat or to go explore but I don't think towing it across the open water would be wise.

You can contact me at alan dot niles (at) G mail-dot- com.
You might want to read 'Passage to Juneau' by Jonathan Raban. It follows your plan exactly, and you may get some good ideas for some anchorages. I think Amazon has it.

Tags
alaska, seattle