Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2015, 23:22   #1

San Francisco to Long Beach 12/31/2015 on Catalina 27

Hi,
I've got a Catalina 27 that I need to move down from Brisbane Marina in the San Francisco Bay to Alamitos Bay in Long Beach. Need an experienced crew of one to join me for mostly day sails starting on 12/31/2015. Boat has auto pilot and plan to equip with a nav system and chart plotter.
Paul
Old 09-12-2015, 10:36   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Re: San Francisco to Long Beach 12/31/2015 on Catalina 27

when are you planning to leave?
Old 09-12-2015, 12:43   #3

Hi Beth - planning to leave 12/31/2015 from Brisbane marina in the SF bay.
Old 12-12-2015, 16:10   #4

Boat: OPB (Other Peoples Boats)
Send a message via Skype™ to softgoodsint

Hi Paul, I'm out West (not far from SF) and this might fit my holiday break. To discuss some detail: this looks to be about 500 nm (very approximate, of course). I've sailed the Pacific but much further South (Mx to CR to Panama) last Feb. So the duration, the miles made good are dependent on how many hours a day of sailing per day - one clue regarding that was your comment: "... mostly day sails", suggested settling into an anchorage each/most evenings, making that a 10-12 day trip, certainly more relaxed, a good bit different than my "delivery" experience (eg. sailing 24x7), but regardless, I'm curious to "continue the conversation". BTW, I Will PM with CV, ASAP (and other cryptic alphabetic enigmas). Re experience & qualifications: I have both ASA and ICC certificates (details in CV). Schedule availability is dependent on another prior commitment and a propeller shaft job in progress.
Regards from Wyoming
Old 12-12-2015, 16:29   #5

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

pduncanson, just curious about your planned route. SF to Long Beach mostly day sails in a Catalina 27 in January when days are short, what are your planned stops that are a day sail apart?

S/V B'Shert
Old 13-12-2015, 21:23   #6

Boat: OPB (Other Peoples Boats)
Send a message via Skype™ to softgoodsint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
... what are your planned stops that are a day sail apart?
S/V B'Shert
Yes, just to chime in, I was also curious about that, although I have not (yet) sailed that stretch of coastline, I've driven it, so I know that coast is as rugged as it is beautiful, and I didn't remember seeing much in the way of anchorage friendly looking spots, after Monterey Bay at least. Monterey should be a 1 day sail from S F, but after that, there's a long stretch South from there, with generally steep shore.
But I didn't know if others, who have sailed there, might want to chime in on places where one could drop anchor and distances between those spots. I'd also be curious to see what a cruisers guide might say about that stretch, too. But that sure is a beautiful coastline, I'd look forward to seeing it from the water (just not sure about timing of my availability at the moment).
Old 15-12-2015, 09:36   #7

Boat: Farrier F9ax, Edel 35

A truly WELL FOUND and equipped C27 sound be fine in EXCEPTIONALLY GOOD weather, skippered by a very experienced sailer. I did the same trip on a Jeanneau 32 around Thanksgiving. 3 days. Non stop SF to Ventura, then a long day to MDR.

We had excellent weather, saw a fair bit of fog offshore, almost got run down by a whale, and then by a freighter. In that order.

Be prepared to pole out the headsail and run wing on wing, since it is a long downwind slide.

As others have noted, there are not a lot of stopping points so be sure of the weather, or don't go. (In my opinion)

Good Luck!
Old 15-12-2015, 10:03   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by windhorze View Post

1. Be prepared to pole out the headsail and run wing on wing, since it is a long downwind slide.

2. As others have noted, there are not a lot of stopping points so be sure of the weather, or don't go. (In my opinion)
1. In the winter, the "normal" winds from the NW simply do not exist unless after a front has moved through. This is for Northern California, and this year the Pacific High has been moving south permitting the weather to come down from the PNW and giving us [FINALLY!!! ] some rain for the first time in four years. Kimball Livingston's excellent book, Sailing The Bay, discusses sailing the ocean in some detail. He concludes: winter ::: DON'T. The weather off the coast this year for the past month has been mean & nasty. As noted in another recent post a containership (albeit a smaller one) lost cargo overboard while dealing with their pilot at the Lightbucket. The seas have been VERY HEAVY and should remain so for quite some time. Before a front moves through, the wind is from the S/SW. Not great for going south either. Plus it has been unusually cold the past two weeks and should remain so for the next two. In the winter, it is NOT "a long downwind slide."

2. Yes, be sure of the weather or don't go. I agree. But Livingston's book simply says winter is NOT the time for small craft to be out in the N Pacific off the coast of SF/Monterey down to Pt. Conception. AT ALL.

Look, to the OP: Your planned trip is unsafe and foolish at this time of year. I have been sailing here for 35 years. I have been out in the ocean tons of times, sometimes even during the winter, but ONLY on nice days and I would NEVER commit to this trip, or even think about, at this time of year, especially THIS particular year. We've been lulled into a false sense of security in the past four years with mild conditions. BECAUSE we never had WINTER. That's why it didn't rain!

Now that the storms are getting here, this is a foolhardy and potentially disastrous plan.

3. Luck should have nothing to do with. For your own health and safety, wait.

Happy holidays.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 15-12-2015, 10:49   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

I have done this trip many times. I don't always stop at all of these places every time...
From San Francisco;
1) Half Moon Bay
2) Santa Cruz
3) Monterey
4) San Simeon
5) Morrow Bay
6) Port San Louis
7) Cojo Anchorage
8) Santa Barbara
9) Channel Islands Harbor
10) Marina Del Rey
11) Long Beach
My guess is that you will not likely have a weather window wide enough for the whole trip and will end up sitting it out in one or more of the above mentioned locations (if you can get in).

Like Stu says, been a nasty year here on the California Coast. Lots of rain and temps into the 30's at night.
Call me a sissy, but there is no way that I would do this trip in January on a 27 foot Catalina.
Not saying it can't be done. Just saying I don't think that it wouldn't be much fun.
Old 15-12-2015, 10:55   #10

Oh Yeah, and then there are some very interesting places along the way. Point Ano Nuevo, Point Sur, Cape San Martin, and Point Conception. All places to be treated with great respect and caution.
Old 15-12-2015, 11:31   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgoodsint View Post
Yes, just to chime in, I was also curious about that, although I have not (yet) sailed that stretch of coastline, I've driven it, so I know that coast is as rugged as it is beautiful, and I didn't remember seeing much in the way of anchorage friendly looking spots, after Monterey Bay at least. Monterey should be a 1 day sail from S F, but after that, there's a long stretch South from there, with generally steep shore.
But I didn't know if others, who have sailed there, might want to chime in on places where one could drop anchor and distances between those spots. I'd also be curious to see what a cruisers guide might say about that stretch, too. But that sure is a beautiful coastline, I'd look forward to seeing it from the water (just not sure about timing of my availability at the moment).
Other than the places that I mentioned previously, there are a few open road-steads that I have anchored in but would only suggest them for anchoring in very settled weather (Lee of Ano Nuevo Island, Wreck Beach at Pfifer Big Sur, Lime Kiln and Lucia south of Big Sur) but that's about it.
Old 16-12-2015, 10:04   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I was not going to say what Stu said, but a lot of us are thinking the same thing. I know a Triton that left SF about the same time in a mild year. They pulled into San Diego and never went out again.
That a container ship had trouble- well my boat is 4 times your displacement and I wouldn't go out there this year.
Look, a trailer that size is easy to pull with a good pickup truck and needs no special permits- a good investment.
Or if you insist on sailing, wait till June. I've even had some June passages that were very nasty.
"Can you hear the words that are coming out of our mouths?"
Old 16-12-2015, 10:53   #13

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

Pduncanson,
Not to pile on, but you have recieved some good advice. It is a BIG trip to make at this time of year on a Catalina 27. I love that boat, by the way. The problem with winter here is that there is not enough wind, or there is too much. For a nice day sail, or even from SF to Monterey Bay, you can take your time to sail south, or use the motor. From Monterey going south it is a very (very) long trip if there is no wind. If you get caught out in a front the wind can get horrible. The last two days in Santa Cruz we had 40+ knot winds. Today is calm. No wind at all. By the way, the list of ports and anchorages given by Liam is very good, but remember, if the weather is bad, many of them are really scary. Today the Santa Cruz harbbor is closed to traffic. I went to look at it two days ago and the mouth was breaking clean across even at high tide. At low tide, people were walking across it. Anchoring at San Simeon during a storm? - no thanks! If you're looking to a great down coast adventure, wait a few months. If you have to get the boat down coast on a time table, rent a trailer.
Old 16-12-2015, 13:06   #14

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Take a look at the recent article on Ocean Navigator web site about December weather in the North Pacific. Scarry would be putting it mildly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 16-12-2015, 21:35   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Really depends on the weather. Did it in January and had force 5-6 WNW winds to Point Conception. Kept the boat at hull speed on a reach for the whole trip, less than 3 days from the Bay to Point Conception. Beautiful sail. On the other hand, moved my current boat from Santa Cruz to the Bay in March and there were light Southerly winds for almost a month. January-February has the most chance of Southerly winds according to the Pilot Charts. With the El Nino, no guarantees. Wouldn't plan on doing the trip on a schedule. If the weather works, go for it but don't push a Wx window. Can get exciting if the Wx turns bad and the possibility of a long motor trip against headwinds. Plan on a loose schedule.

Tags
catalina, san francisco