Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2012, 16:09   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Sailing West of Vancouver Island

Good Morning Sailors. I will be taking crew for sailing along the west coast of Vancouver Island. I will start August 23 and arrive back home on about the 7 th of September (Astoria, Oregon). This will be mostly offshore as I am building time for my offshore USCG Captain's License. It may extend above Vancouver Island and the inside passage, but I do not plan to do either at this time. We will be making landfall frequently, but this is not going to be a tour. Rather this is going to be a sailing journey with everyone pulling their weight.
There is no cost, but you are expected to have all your own equipment, and will share equally on food and drink. If you go into town for a night, it will be on your money. Finally, you should carry with you enough to have airfare out of any of the ports we go into, so you can go home in emergencies. Having your own medical insurance and being able to work as a team under someone else are essential qualities. Basic sea keeping skills are assumed.
Known parties (people that I have sailed with) are welcome along any leg of the journey. Unknown parties will need to at least day sail with me before an invite is produced. I can take up to 4 others and couples are preferred, but I would consider a family of 3-4.
I will be in the Astoria area (sailing) from Saturday August 4 till Saturday the 11. I will be in Port with my boat Saturday(4), Wednesday(8) and Friday-Saturday (10-11).
That's the nitty gritty. The cool thing is that we should have the ride of our lives. Wilderness, hot springs, untamed oceans and going were very few people go. Private Message me on this site, or those that already have my phone number give me a call.
Cheers,
Newt

Old 24-07-2012, 18:15   #2

Re: Sailing West of Vancouver Island

Hi Newt

That could be a tough slog. You will be working against wind and current on the west side of the Island.

I turned back in Port McNeil earlier this month from a counter clockwise circumnavigation due to 40 knot NW winds.

You will need to go into Victoria to clear customs; everyone needs passports. There is no customs/immigration for recreational boating on the west side of the Island. Directory of CBSA Offices

Old 24-07-2012, 18:40   #3

BTW - if there is anything I can help with let me know.

I am leaving for Maui on Thursday, departing Maui on Sunday (I hope). Home on August 18 (I hope)

Jack
Old 24-07-2012, 20:17   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Thanks Jack,
If conditions are bad to going up we will just do the inside passage- I am not that hard core. But I do want to stay out on the ocean if I can. 40 knts will make me head for the San Juans.
Old 24-07-2012, 20:59   #5

My limit is gale force.

The inside is fabulous. The turn back allowed us to spend three days in the Broughtons. Wonderful.

If you do want some info either way, let me know. On SN I have posted how to get through Yuculta Rapids.

North to the Broughtons - SailNet Community
Old 24-07-2012, 21:04   #6

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Spent my early days delivering oil barges to Tofino, Ucuelet, Brooks Peninsula and points north and south. Don't think there are many 'towns' to go out on at night unless things have changed a lot. Weather is problematic, Lee shore is foul most of the passage. A good book to read before starting out on your trip is 'Shipwrecks on the BC Coast'. Don't remember the author but well worth the read. Most vessels that were lost were sail out of San Francisco heading for the Alaska gold fields.
There are a number of indian villages that dot the west coast of the island, one of the nicest is in Friendly Cove where Capt Cook made landfall on his trip around the Pacific. Well worth the stop, good holding ground and delightful native fishermen and their families.
There is good VHF coverage along the whole coast except near Cape Scott at the top end for monitoring weather. Keep your eyes peeled for deadheads (used to call them 'widowmakers') the whole way. I spent a couple of summers beachcombing out there and there was lots of 'wood' in those days.
Hope you have fair winds the whole way and enjoy the Hot Springs which are a short hike from the Govt dock overland.
A Valiant is a great platform to enjoy the trip comfortably and safely...Cheers, Capt Phil

Tags
sailing