Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2014, 05:13   #1

Boat: Buying one
Sailing To Cuba

Hi
Can any of you cruisers tell me is it possible to charter a yacht in Florida and sail it to Cuba ? Or do you Yanks still have a problem with that ?

Thanks

Pessa

Old 02-11-2014, 05:25   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Sailing To Cuba

There has not been any problem with Australian citizens traveling from the US to Cuba. Even US citizens are allowed such travel; however, the regulations prevent US citizens from spending their money in Cuba. Although there are no legal restrictions I doubt if you would find charter vessels available for such a trip.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:25   #3

Thanks Hudson, why do you think I could not get a boat to charter and take there (Cuba) ?

Pessa
Old 02-11-2014, 07:15   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

I don't have any specific knowledge, but I'm a long term cruiser in the Florida area and I have not heard of such charters.

Don't let my lack of knowledge slow your search,- 'good luck!
Old 02-11-2014, 07:31   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Part of the problem is that even though a person can legally go to Cuba (most Americans cannot, but as a Canadian I can), if a boat goes to Cuba, it can be banned from entering the USA for 6 months afterwards. That applies to anything from a sailing boat to a cruise ship.

Is it enforced? It depends who you talk to and apparently if you report into Key West, the likelihood of it being an issue is much more than if you report into, say, Ft. Lauderdale.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:37   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I am sorry to be quite blunt . . . . but Hudson is simply wrong.

If you are interested in Cuban travel the US government has very clearly laid out the current law on their websites:

"Tourist travel to Cuba is prohibited under U.S. law for U.S. citizens and others under U.S. jurisdiction." Cuba

"Unless authorized by a general or specific license, any person subject to U.S.
jurisdiction who engages in any Cuba travel-related transaction violates the
Regulations and may be subject to penalties." (and note that INCLUDES money spent IN the US to travel to cuba, and these licenses are NOT given out for simple tourism) Cuba Sanctions

If you would be caught, or penalized if caught, is a whole another question. But a charter operation is unlikely to be interested in putting their boats into clearly illegal use.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:43   #7

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by pessa View Post
Thanks Hudson, why do you think I could not get a boat to charter and take there (Cuba) ?Pessa
I'm pretty sure the insurance would be invalid over there.
Old 02-11-2014, 14:40   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
I am sorry to be quite blunt . . . . but Hudson is simply wrong. ...............................
Well, I may be interpreted as wrong, but certainly not "simply" wrong.

From the US State Deptartment: "In 2009, the United States announced the lifting of restrictions on family travel and remittances to Cuba, expanded the list of items eligible for humanitarian exports to Cuba and announced new regulations for U.S. telecommunications companies to expand the flow of information to Cuba. In 2011, the United States announced regulatory changes to increase purposeful travel including religious, cultural, educational, and people-to-people travel; expand the individuals and groups eligible to send and receive remittances; an allow U.S.international airports to apply to provide charter services to Cuba (currently 19 airports are authorized). Although economic sanctions are in place, in 2012 the United States was Cuba's primary supplier of food and agricultural products, and humanitarian goods, a significant supplier of medicines and medical products, and Cuba's seventh overall largest trading partner in goods."

Permission may be obtained, but the leverage for making the travel illegal remains mostly economic sanctions.
Old 02-11-2014, 17:24   #9

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Back to the original question... Search the internet.. There are bareboat charters in Cuba based out of Trinidad and Cenfruigos. You would simply fly to Cuba directly.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 02-11-2014, 18:47   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Back to the original question... Search the internet.. There are bareboat charters in Cuba based out of Trinidad and Cenfruigos. You would simply fly to Cuba directly.
No, if you are a US citizen, or in US jurisdiction, you DO NOT simply fly to cuba. To travel legally to cuba you MUST have a license from the US government and you will NOT get one for tourism.

"The regulations require that persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction be licensed in order to engage in any travel-related transactions pursuant to travel to, from, and within Cuba, or that the transactions in question be exempt from licensing requirements. Transactions related to travel for tourist activities are not licensable. This restriction includes travel to Cuba for tourist activites from or through a third country, such as Mexico or Canada. U.S. law enforcement authorities enforce these regulations at U.S. airports and pre-clearance facilities in third countries. Travelers who fail to comply with Department of the Treasury regulations may face civil penalties and criminal prosecution upon return to the United States."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Well, I may be interpreted as wrong, but certainly not "simply" wrong.
Well, again, a US citizen must have a license from the US government to legally travel to cuba, and the government is NOT issuing such licenses for any tourism purposes. So it is NOT simply a matter of not spending money in cuba - that was the old rule years ago - during the bush years they switch the procedure to make it illegal to travel without a license even if you spend no money anywhere.

The OP question was about picking up a charter boat in Florida and sailing it to Cuba, and there is essentially no way that is going to be legal (except for some very special 'licensable' cases, like with cuban family, but you would need the state department to sign off on it), no matter where you do or don't spend money. That is the correct answer to the OP's question.
Old 02-11-2014, 19:03   #11

Aye,
Thanks for all contributions on my question, It looks like a bare boat charter out of Florida is out of the question, so being an Australian, flying there and as Travellerw suggested arranging a bareboat charter in Cuba itself might be the go.

thanks all

pessa
Old 02-11-2014, 21:29   #12

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Good luck.. I hear its an incredible country.. The south side is supposed to be untouched and pristine..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 03-11-2014, 14:38   #13

Boat: Lagoon 450

We're Australian and Cuba is definitely on our hit list, currently our insurance excludes Cuba though, will have to look into that a bit more.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
Cuba, sail, sailing