Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2012, 22:11   #1

Boat: C&C 25
Sailing 25' C&C from NJ to Block Island

Hi all I'm looking for someone who would be interested in a 3 or 4 day trip non-stop from the Manasquan in New Jersey to Block Island. I'm a decently experienced sailor but have never taken on a trip this big and have rarely sailed on a boat this large (25' C&C). I have full gps chart plotting, VHF, depth sounder, etc. The boat has electricity and will be solar powered for the whole trip. This position is un-paid, but if anyone is heading out to block or enjoys sailing it's going to be a blast! You can reach me at "btharris781 @ gmail dot com" if interested.
Old 16-05-2012, 20:37   #2

Boat: 19' Lightning
Re: Sailing 25' C&C from NJ to Block Island

Hi Buddy,

I owned a C&C 25 in 1976 and I sailed her to Block Island several times from New Bedford. I would suggest that you pick your days and be sure that the weather is favorable. The boat is quite good in a seaway, we had ours out in 15' seas in Block Island Sound, but keep in mind that she has her limitations. You will probably be riding a SW wind where we usually had it in the nose. In a quartering or following sea she'll do fine. Good luck Capt'n and God speed.
Old 16-05-2012, 21:42   #3

Boat: C&C 25

Thanks I appreciate your input! How long did the trip take you? Would you happen to remember how many miles it was?
Old 16-05-2012, 21:56   #4

Boat: 19' Lightning

Yeah, its about 25 miles from NB to BI and it took about 10 hrs as we needed to tack often, sailing upwind. I have also sailed around BI in the Whalers Race on a 40' Tartan. In that case, it took about 6 hrs. I would recommend that you have a good radar reflector (and a backup) as fog is a constant threat in the spring and early summer in that neck of the woods. And it can be pea soup fog and with commercial traffic, tugs barges, fish boats etc. You'd best be on your toes. Keep a sharp lookout. Good luck Capt'n

Tags
c&c, sailing