Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2014, 17:45   #1

Boat: Farr 38
Sail East Coast of Australia to Queensland

Adelaide based Skipper seeking competent crew with previous offshore sailing experience to join 40ft. "Farr Out" a comfortable cruising monohull fibreglass yacht leaving Adelaide April 2014 to sail east and north to Sydney then further up the East Coast.
Crew members will be required to contribute to on-board living expenses and provide their own safety and weatherproof gear. To express interest please (personal) reply with a brief CV of your sailing experience and personal details.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FarrOutMelb.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	276.7 KB
ID:	75383   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_00027.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	75384  

Click image for larger version

Name:	FarrOut.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	75385  
Old 08-02-2014, 12:15   #2

Re: Sail East Coast of Australia to Queensland

My 40 year old daughter is at a loose end and looking for a crewing position. She has plenty of experience. We sailed our Adams 45 around the world while she was a teenager, and she's had various jobs on the water since then. Quick Cat, White water rafting, water taxi etc. mostly in north Queensland. Now living in Brisbane. Just been over to Mexico to crew with us on our MacGregor 65. If you are interested I'll pass on your details to her. Contributions to expenses would have to be minimal since she hasn't been working for a while.
Old 10-02-2014, 15:46   #3

Unfortunately I have no capacity to absorb living expenses for crew members. If that is not of a concern by all means please pass on this information to your daughter. Cheers
Peter Mc
Old 11-02-2014, 07:16   #4

OK. Thanks Peter.
Old 20-03-2014, 23:51   #5

I have been sailing for 40 years since I was a teenager mainly in the Gulf waters around Adelaide and the Whitsundays. I have been a member of the Royal SA Yacht Squadron for over 10 years and was an active participant in club races such as the annual Adelaide to Port Lincoln blue water classic. I have owned a succession of yachts over the last 20 years starting with a Cole 23 trailer-sailer moored at Goolwa (near the Murray mouth) and then a Farr-Binks 30ft. larger trailerable and finally my current Farr 38. I spent the last 12 months completely refurbishing the vessel for this journey and have added additional safety, navigation and live-aboard comforts.

My plans at this stage are to leave Adelaide in April and sail initially via Kangaroo Island to Portland then around to Sydney.

I am particularly interested in crew members who have water sailing">blue water sailing experience to join us.

Cheers

Peter Mc
Old 23-03-2014, 02:24   #6

Hi Peter,

I will be brief for now, as I don't have blue water experience, but that is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm a 28 y/o male, Mechatronics engineer from Newcastle. I've just taken 12 months off work to get some more sailing experience. I have 4 years experience as crew aboard a 27 ft Beneteau for races on Lake Macquarie. I have also done ASA 101 and 103 (Basic Coastal Cruising) courses in the US. I love sailing, I'm quick to learn and really easy to get along with. If you're interested in having me aboard, PM me and I'll send you my contact details so we can talk further.

Cheers,
Tom
Old 23-03-2014, 04:59   #7

I am currently faced with a dilemma. The SA government began renovating the Birkenhead bridge in the Port Adelaide area last summer without consultation or warning. My boat is currently moored in the inner harbour at New Port quays upstream. Surprise surprise the project to complete the bridge repairs is slipping into April. So at this stage it appears there is no alternative but to wait until the bridge can be reopened despite my protests to the project's managers. Groan!
Old 27-03-2014, 17:06   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter McNamara View Post
Adelaide based Skipper seeking competent crew with previous offshore sailing experience to join 40ft. "Farr Out" a comfortable cruising monohull fibreglass yacht leaving Adelaide April 2014 to sail east and north to Sydney then further up the East Coast.
Crew members will be required to contribute to on-board living expenses and provide their own safety and weatherproof gear. To express interest please (personal) reply with a brief CV of your sailing experience and personal details.
Hi Peter,I have sailled few times east coast from Syd to Hobart.My profile is on this website Cew available under "Northsmen".
I am ready to saill any leg or journey you will need,preffer Melbourne up east coast.My email is pkudrfalec@hotmail.com Do not hesitate to contact for refferences or if you unable to see my profile.Cheers Paul
Old 28-03-2014, 17:56   #9

Thanks Paul

Well the good news is I have completed all my refurbishment tasks on the boat and the SA Government have assured me the Birkenhead bridge will open in mid April. So far I have not been successful in finding experienced crew who are available and willing to join me for the first leg to Sydney from Adelaide. If weather permits I expect a start date in latish April.

Cheers
Old 29-03-2014, 02:11   #10

Hi Peter,how many crew members are you looking for the comfortable sail?Also could you specify as to the on board expenses?I mean the fuel, harbour cost and possible repairs.Thanks Paul
Old 29-03-2014, 15:45   #11

I have just spent 12 months renovating and refurbishing the boat including an engine rebuild so hopefully few repairs other than fixing breakages which I hope to avoid with good seamanship. I expect a crew of 4 (including skipper) will make the most of the available bunks and room on board. Crews costs would just be a fair share of food, consumables and any marina fees not fuel.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:54   #12

Hi Guys

Well this will be my last post on this thread in an attempt to attract experienced crew members to join us. This Easter will be the culmination of 12 months of careful planning and preparation. "Farr Out" is ready to set out. A senior crew member with the time and expertise to join us will make that happen. Special heartfelt thanks to everyone on this forum who has contributed their time and valuable advice here.

Fresh winds and fair sailing.

Peter Mc

Tags
Australia, east coast, sail, queensland