Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2015, 20:05   #16

Boat: Irwin 30
Send a message via Skype™ to mrlee
Re: S. Mex to Newport, OR now

I'm with CAPTLLOYD! My twenties are loonnggg gone but if it weren't for business commitments I'd take the trip myself! Hope a youngster goes along and learns what he can...I am jealous...I wanna go!!!
Old 15-08-2015, 21:32   #17

Boat: Caliber 40

I am curious about the plan for dealing with Tropical Storms and worse.

It is about 1400 NM from Huatulco to Turtle Bay (NW limit of typical hurricane danger). If you motor not stop hard into the prevailing wind ( 6 knot VMG) I would guess you could make 144 NM per day using about 30 gallons of diesel per day. With only 250 gallons on board you would need to stop at least once along the way.

That means you are in Hurricane Central for at least 10-days IF you make no stops other than a quicky for fuel in Cabo.

There are typically one or two hurricanes every other week between Cabo and Huatulco in the late August to mid-September period. They form quickly, deepen precipitously and move quite erratically.

I am not, in any way doubting your expertise or experience, but as a moderately experienced boat operator during three summers in that area, I am very curious as to your hurricane avoidance strategy.

Where will you run and hide if a named storm does develop?

I've taken several similar sized boats from the Mexican mainland to San Diego and have never been able to average 6 knots, not even in a 53' trawler. How will you keep the lightly powered (75 HP?) Nauticat moving when it weighs over 33,000 pounds and you are pounding into that ever present NW swell?

Not trying to stay this is a bad idea but I am really curious how a professional and highly experienced captain manages this voyage at the height of Hurricane Season.

I was hired to take a 65' 85,000 pound motorsailor from Seattle to St Croix with the understanding that we would wait in San Diego until November 1. In early October the owner got impatient and took off for Huatulco. They were caught by a strong tropical storm off of Manzanillo in and suffered serious damage, barely making it out with the boat in tact.

Needless to say, I was not onboard and told the owner and his "unpaid crew" they were being quite incautious leaving SoCal before late October.

Tell us how you do it.
Old 16-08-2015, 20:53   #18

Boat: Endeavour 35.

When do you intend on finishing in Oregon? I am a ex commercial fishermen with some sailing experience. non smoker 56 in good health. PM ME

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
newport