Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2010, 12:15   #1

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Possible Crew Positions . . .

This is a testing of the water type advertisement, with no guarantee that you'll even hear from me to say that positions are filled.

We are looking for people who want an long term adventure of a lifetime. People who want to grow in their knowledge and confidence. You should want to see parts of the world that you may never have heard of and other places that you may have only dreamed of visiting.

We are reluctant to pay for people experiencing and learning on a all found luxury yacht. That said, if you have significant provable sea going experience and/or relevant maintenance skills we may pay a miserly small stipend. Repatriation expenses are negotiable but if you use drugs, you'll be off the boat so fast your head will spin and we'll spend as little as the law allows. We will require checkable references. You must be a citizen of the EU or the USA, this is entirely to avoid visa problems. If we decide to interview you, you are going to need to be within reasonable travelling distance of Plymouth, UK. Successful or not, we will contribute up to £100 for your travelling expenses and offer you overnight accommodation on the boat. Occasionally we could interview in London.

The skipper has sailed for forty years, mainly single handed. Crossing oceans and visiting high latitude areas, before it became a prerequisite in a highly experienced sailing CV. I don't possess any paper qualifications but my broker at Lloyd’s doesn't charge me extra for going beyond the forties.

The boat is a nominal 62 foot luxury long range motor cruiser, famous in some spheres for being the motor cruising boat to cross oceans. We never follow a schedule and try to avoid bad weather.

You may have read my thread 'A Rant....OK, a moan' If you haven't, read it before you reply. If you in anyway resemble our 'crew member from hell' we've decided that we don't need the old CQR anchor At sea, the boat is 'dry'.

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
Old 16-09-2010, 18:24   #2

Boat: 1978 Fuji 40 its an S&S boat named Spindrift shes my pride and joy
If you have any availible positions for a young strong agile cruisers PM me mate!
Old 16-09-2010, 19:06   #3

Boat: 1978 Fuji 40 its an S&S boat named Spindrift shes my pride and joy
I just went back and read your crewmember from hell story my good friend Dreaming Yachtsmen told me to read... I'm quite glad to say and he will agree that I am entirely nothing like devious past crewmember!

Ethan
Old 16-09-2010, 19:33   #4

Boat: Brewer 44
I am very able and interested. When do you plan on departing?
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowning, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing. Semper Paratus!
Old 16-09-2010, 20:10   #5

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria
You give no indication of where you are going, or when. There are parts of the world - the Empty Quarter in Saudi Arabia or west Texas or the middle of the East Pacific High for instance - that I don't want to visit again...

Michael
Old 16-09-2010, 20:50   #6

This is our proposed itinerary for the first two years, though like all cruisers, it's written in the sand at low tide. Our aimed for departure date is August /September 2011. We'd like the crew on board and shaking down with a cruise around Britain not later than June 2011

Weymouth. UK to the Channel Isles -
Channel Isles to Gibraltar/Morocco - Gibraltar or Morocco to the Canary Isles - Canary Isles to Cape Verde Isles - Cape Verde Isles to Salvador, Bahia Province, Brazil -
Salvador to Mar del Plata – Mar Del Plata to Tierra del Fuego
We will cruise in Tierra del Fuego and Patagonia -
From there we will travel up the west coast of South America to Ecuador- Ecuador - Galapagos Isles
From the Galapagos Isles our route West will probably be to the the Marquesa Islands group and then on to the Tuamotos Islands and other islands before departing to New Zealand - Australia

I've crossed the Empty Quarter, so we won't be doing that again

The expressions of interest are encouraging but the boat and I are in the UK. I'd be happy to interview you all and even offer a week or so on the boat but I'm not up for paying air fares to interview anyone.

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
Old 16-09-2010, 21:02   #7

I've had a question about the monetary value of a 'miserly small stipend' A sum of around £10,000 that's about $15,000 is what we have in mind. The yacht will provide full medical insurance including medivac if needed, provided you are in good general health.

P.
Old 23-09-2010, 19:08   #8

Boat: Brewer 44
Just got back in from Cuba a few hours ago, will send you a PM Friday or over the weekend.
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowning, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing. Semper Paratus!
Old 26-09-2010, 08:58   #9

open mind

hello fishwife, my name is Fid, i am a US citizen born and raised in San Francisco. I have been handeling boats going on 13 years. I speak English Spanish and Italian, fluently. I am now studying the RYA yachtmaster offshore ticket, I am in mexico, now currently working on a couple of boats. I have many references and have done many deliveries, I am also experienced in marine systems, and brightworks. I have been mate on many passages , hell I'm always the mate. I am relaxed and easy going, i do not use drugs, but i do like to have drinks. I was recently divorced and doors are opening, thanks for hearing me out, if you need the position filled, send me a message, and i can give you references.
cordially,
Fid
Old 26-09-2010, 16:32   #10

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
Fishwife, I'm so glad that you didn't toss in the towel after the horrific experience with the criminally insane crew member. And, I hope we see you somewhere out there one of these days and can swap happier tales. Pat
Old 28-09-2010, 17:42   #11

hello cap

you accidently wrote me instead of fishwife,
none the less have a good day.
fid
Old 25-10-2010, 12:25   #12

Hello I am an experienced crew and a skipper,na drugs, no alcohol, have a time fot long term voyage. I can hard-working and no sea-seaking. If You are interested, contact me please: nautatrix :at: interia :dot: pl
Old 27-10-2010, 09:44   #13

Hello, Wouldnt mind the trip I have plenty of experiance IE up to ocean master sailed for 30years solo on own boats Ex marine of 7years and have spent 6 months in patagonia climbing expedition. ex garage owner so am familiar with engines none smoker none drinker and very fit. tell you more at the Interview Kind Regards Gordon
Old 29-10-2010, 04:18   #14

Hello!

I would love to help with this voyage! I don't have a lot of experiance but I have crewed on this sailing boat (Home » Keewaydin » Traditional Sailing Holidays) (wasn't a holiday trip, I volunteered) The trip lasted 2 weeks and most of the time It was force 10-12 winds!

And I also helped deliver an ex-trawler which was only 5 days at sea.

I love the sea, the freedom It brings and the adventure that is lurking over each wave. I'm a vey quick leaner and always work to please, I wont let you down.

Please PM me if you would like me to get a hold of a refference from the Keewaydin sail (The ex-trawler I don't think would count as it would be from a family member)

Many thanks

Ben
Old 05-11-2010, 10:24   #15

Greetings,

I'm very interested in crewing aboard your boat. I'm 22 yrs old yet have a fair amount of experience on the water. I've been played the role of Engineer, Bosun, and Watch leading Mate aboard a number of different vessels. I hold a USCG 100 ton Inland Master/Near Coastal Mate w/ sail endorsement and am upgrading to a Near Coastal Master at this time. No drugs, the occassional drink, and I surf and dive like a maniac. I'll send a copy of my resume directly.
Thanks for your time.

B

couldn't send resume... computer thinks im not to be trusted. send me an email and Ill send you my resume if your interested. Thank You