Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2015, 10:07   #1

Boat: Catalina 50
PNW to San Francisco, San Fran to San Diego and San Diego to Mexico

We will be setting sail from the PNW (Port Angeles) late September / early October and will be making our way south, ultimately to the Sea of Cortez by Mid November (or whenever the weather allows).

We'll be doing the trip in three legs and are looking for two crew members for each leg.

Our boat is a Catalina 50' with a tall rig so we should be making reasonable time down the coast.

Feel free to let me know if you'd like to join for one, two or all three of the legs. All food / boat expenses are covered while on board and if you'd like to hang out on the boat in San Fran or San Diego between legs I'm sure something can be arranged.

Singles and couples welcome so please let me know if you are interested.
Old 21-07-2015, 18:39   #2

Re: PNW to San Francisco, San Fran to San Diego and San Diego to Mexico

Hello! I was wondering if you were looking for an experienced crew, or is it something that you can teach as we sail? I have never sailed before but am extremely excited and motivated to learn. If you have any question about me please feel free to ask. Thank you!
Old 22-07-2015, 11:52   #3

Very interested in coming aboard! My thirst for sailing adventures draws me to your trip. I'm Willing and able to do all 3 legs with no problem. I'm open to do any kind of work you may need. Looking to gain more experience and more ocean miles. Please let me know if there are any available spots for crew.
Old 22-07-2015, 12:50   #4

Boat: Catalina 50

Thanks for the notes.

Ideally we'd like to have the crew have some experience and be able to stand a night watch alone, although depending on the final crew list there might be space to add a body or two who can help out as second hand on watch to help out some I'm always interested in talking.

Drop me a PM or shoot me an email at kolbyvaughan at gmail dot com with your experience, legs of the trip you are interested in and your timing.

Cheers

Kolby
Old 23-07-2015, 22:30   #5

PM sent.
Old 23-07-2015, 23:36   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

Hi
I am interested in the last leg for sure. I've got some limited experience on my own boats in the PNW and also I brought my cal-2-46 up from Mazatlan to Cabo then on to San Diego in 2013. Prior to that I did a circumnavigation of Vancouver island including heading off shore about 150nm on a C&C 44 back in 2005. After doing the Baja Bash I'd love to try it with the wind at my back. I'm 58, fit and responsible. I can sit a watch day or night. I have considerable medical experience as a recently retired veterinarian and I would consider my skill set in this area a good one for sailing in areas with limited access to emergency medical care. On the "shortcoming side" I have very limited experience with spinnakers and have never actually even polled out a Genoa. I have no experience racing.
Let me know if you want to know anything more about me or my experience.
Nick

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 23-07-2015, 23:43   #7

This sounds like a grande voyage, and I'd be very interested in joining. I live down near long beach, ca; I could meet up with you there and finish the rest of your journey with you, then fly back home. I'be got ASA certifications in basic and coastal sailing, and have sailed the Channel Islands here off Cali, as well as some sailing over near the gulf in Texas. I studied cooking for a while, and honestly wouldn't mind taking over all galley duty because I love to cook.
Drop me a line, I'd love to talk about this voyage and see if I might be a good fit.
Cheers,
James

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 24-07-2015, 17:36   #8

I sent you an email yesterday, but I thought I'd reply on here as well. My partner in crime and I are very interested in either the entire trip or parts of it. We were planning on heading back to Baja this November anyways and both live in Washington. Last year, we drove the whole Baja Peninsula during November. We took our time surfing, spear fishing, and exploring. It sparked my dream to sail there. Please feel free to email me back with any questions about our experience and availability. We're both craving ocean time and I'd love to live on a boat again with good people. And I see you have a dog
Thank you!
Old 24-07-2015, 19:46   #9

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

svasunto
I'm not intentionally trying to put a kink into your plans, however, are you aware of the severity of the storms which can strike the PNW as early as the beginning of September?

I lived in Port Townsend for 10yrs, & have seen the first of the Winter storms blow down from the Gulf of Alaska, literally, in the first week of Sep. With winds in excess of 60kts in the Straits of Juan de Fuca, & Puget Sound/the BC region in general.

I state as much, only to make sure that you're informed about such. And know that the dates which you're stating are on the late end of what's considered the norm, weather window wise.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
Old 24-07-2015, 19:58   #10

Boat: Seafarer36c

Lets assume you know what you are doing sailing south so late. As a half ass sailor, I would not be caught on the north coast in October.
Old 24-07-2015, 20:27   #11

Boat: Caliber 40

Naysayers - Bah Humbug

I've done Seattle - San Diego four times

lefty Oly September 22, stopped in Ludlow to do some work, and rounded Cape Flattery September 27 i a 65' sailboat. Had a motorboat ride all the way to Santa Monica Bay when the wind finally came up.

Worst trip - we left Gig Harbor August 22, rounded Flattery August 26 and saw SW gales for 8-days during the next month.

Pay attention to the fantastic, and very detailed NWS weather forecasts, duck into a good harbor early, and have a great trip.
Old 24-07-2015, 21:44   #12

Boat: Outremer 50S

+1

Depart Port Hardy Sept. 24, Arrive SF Sept. 29.

Some of the best, most exhilarating sailing I've ever done. Yes, you have to be careful, yes, you have to watch the weather. But then the same is true pretty much anywhere. Even on the Milk Run at the 'right time' people get hammered by the ITCZ or SPCZ.
Old 24-07-2015, 21:51   #13

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Boy you are going to get a lot of responses I bet! When you round Point Conception give a shout here and I'll race you around Santa Cruz Island! Hey, I might be able to keep up for a mile or two!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 25-07-2015, 22:43   #14

I live in San diego. Would love to hop on boat here in SD. And help down to Mexico and back.

I have a captain license with sailing and towing endorsement. I've spent thousands of hours sailing san diego bay, and work as captain on charters. I don't have much offshore experience, but I learn quick, and am an avid all around waterman, and love the ocean.

Also, I speak basic spanish, I play music, and will keep your boat clean... I will pm you. Also feel free to pm me.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 11-08-2015, 19:49   #15

Still looking for crew? I'll be in san Diego in October (from Hawaii). I'm a relaxed, easy going, experienced sailor. I've done several trans Pacific crossings, have a 500 ton Captains license w/sail endorsement, EMT, PADI Dive Master and I love to catch/cook fish, rod/reel or free dive. Back in the day I worked live aboard dive charters down west coast Baja and last summer spent 3 weeks island hopping Sea of Cortez. We just came back from sailing the Leeward Island, French Polynesia. No problems maintaining marine engines or troubleshooting electrical systems. If you are still looking send me a PM. aloha, Andrew

Tags
Mexico, san diego, san francisco