Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 18:53   #1

Philippines to Solomon Isl

Experienced sailor wanted for 38ft. Monohull. I will be leaving in about a week on a one way trip. All expenses paid including flight back to Philippines or comparable destination
Old 30-08-2012, 01:41   #2

I still have not left. Had a few delays. Who would have thought. Anyway, still an open berth for a very adventurous trip
Old 30-08-2012, 08:46   #3

Re: Philippines to Solomon Isl

Hi There... First off I dont have experience. So if thats a must then I guess I am out. But here's me anyways just in case...

I have a very laid back attitude:
I spent my 20s switching between fighting forest fires in the summers in BC, Canada and travelling or working for myself in between. Through my job, I learned to love the might of Mother Nature and not freak out when she takes over. I also learned to love a nomadic lifestyle - never spending more than 6 months in one place. I don’t stress easily and I am open to all kinds of ways of living. I get that we are all very different and there is no right or wrong way to be.

I have a good work ethic and some skills:
I spent 9 summers digging ditches and carrying pumps and saws up and down mountains. I consider physical work more as an exercise than a thing I just have to do. I also spent 2 winters renovating my houses so I know how to cut wood and use a hammer. I fixed my cars when it wasn’t too complicated and trouble-shooted equipment in the bush. I was also always working around helicopters and heavy machinery so I respect expensive equipment. And like sailing, with forest fires you are always keeping an eye on the weather.

Able to get along with other people in close quarters:
I have lived out of a small backpack for almost 4 years going thru Europe, Central/South America and Asia. I have lived in my van, rented little cabins, and stayed in about 100 dormitories. I have spent months in fire camps where it’s just a few of us for weeks in the mountains with only a radio and sat-phone to the outside world. I value my own space and the space of others. I like to keep my place clean and organized.

I have the time and money:
I bought a 2nd house a few years back and fixed it up with intention to sell and spend my winnings on my dreamboat. The plan has been executed and now I have a nice chunk of savings to make the purchase. I rent out my other place so I have some residual income to fund my adventures. I am also taking time off firefighting so my schedule is wide open.

I value a good sense of humor:
I know what its like to spend a lot of time with just a few people. When I was hiring firefighters, attitude and humor were what I looked for. I can imagine scouting for sailing crew is much the same.

I have the ability and excitement to learn:
Here is the kicker, – I do not have sailing experience. However, this means I am malleable and I can learn it your way. I have been reading forums, researching boats, learning the physics and getting intimate with the lingo. I am not clueless, but I am the hands-on learning type.

My Future Sailing Goals:
I'm a young guy, 30, who wants to live on his own boat. I value quality over quantity – so I want to invest in a small, well built, well-organized boat. I want to be able to single-hand. Crewing on your boat would be my next step in this process.

Other facts I think matter to you:
I wouldn’t say I cook gourmet, but I cook decent food. I haven’t used a microwave in years and prefer to avoid anything processed. Personally, I like to eat what is local and climate appropriate. Ideally, on a boat in a warm climate, I could happily live off fish and fruit.

I don’t snore.
I don’t have any psychological issues or am prone to drama of any kind.
I am healthy and fit.
I am very friendly and smile a lot.
I will clean the toilet.
I don’t smoke and I drink casually.
I play guitar, love to snorkel and dive, want to learn to surf.

People who know me best say I am much like a dog - I cherish my friends, love to eat, find satisfaction in the simplest of things, and am always wagging my tail.

If you read this far you can email me @ far2stellar@gmail.com

Thanx for offering a great opportunity Chris.
Old 30-08-2012, 19:37   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by presentmoment
Hi There... First off I dont have experience. So if thats a must then I guess I am out. But here's me anyways just in case...

I have a very laid back attitude:
I spent my 20s switching between fighting forest fires in the summers in BC, Canada and travelling or working for myself in between. Through my job, I learned to love the might of Mother Nature and not freak out when she takes over. I also learned to love a nomadic lifestyle - never spending more than 6 months in one place. I don’t stress easily and I am open to all kinds of ways of living. I get that we are all very different and there is no right or wrong way to be.

I have a good work ethic and some skills:
I spent 9 summers digging ditches and carrying pumps and saws up and down mountains. I consider physical work more as an exercise than a thing I just have to do. I also spent 2 winters renovating my houses so I know how to cut wood and use a hammer. I fixed my cars when it wasn’t too complicated and trouble-shooted equipment in the bush. I was also always working around helicopters and heavy machinery so I respect expensive equipment. And like sailing, with forest fires you are always keeping an eye on the weather.

Able to get along with other people in close quarters:
I have lived out of a small backpack for almost 4 years going thru Europe, Central/South America and Asia. I have lived in my van, rented little cabins, and stayed in about 100 dormitories. I have spent months in fire camps where it’s just a few of us for weeks in the mountains with only a radio and sat-phone to the outside world. I value my own space and the space of others. I like to keep my place clean and organized.

I have the time and money:
I bought a 2nd house a few years back and fixed it up with intention to sell and spend my winnings on my dreamboat. The plan has been executed and now I have a nice chunk of savings to make the purchase. I rent out my other place so I have some residual income to fund my adventures. I am also taking time off firefighting so my schedule is wide open.

I value a good sense of humor:
I know what its like to spend a lot of time with just a few people. When I was hiring firefighters, attitude and humor were what I looked for. I can imagine scouting for sailing crew is much the same.

I have the ability and excitement to learn:
Here is the kicker, – I do not have sailing experience. However, this means I am malleable and I can learn it your way. I have been reading forums, researching boats, learning the physics and getting intimate with the lingo. I am not clueless, but I am the hands-on learning type.

My Future Sailing Goals:
I'm a young guy, 30, who wants to live on his own boat. I value quality over quantity – so I want to invest in a small, well built, well-organized boat. I want to be able to single-hand. Crewing on your boat would be my next step in this process.

Other facts I think matter to you:
I wouldn’t say I cook gourmet, but I cook decent food. I haven’t used a microwave in years and prefer to avoid anything processed. Personally, I like to eat what is local and climate appropriate. Ideally, on a boat in a warm climate, I could happily live off fish and fruit.

I don’t snore.
I don’t have any psychological issues or am prone to drama of any kind.
I am healthy and fit.
I am very friendly and smile a lot.
I will clean the toilet.
I don’t smoke and I drink casually.
I play guitar, love to snorkel and dive, want to learn to surf.

People who know me best say I am much like a dog - I cherish my friends, love to eat, find satisfaction in the simplest of things, and am always wagging my tail.

If you read this far you can email me @ far2stellar@gmail.com

Thanx for offering a great opportunity Chris.
You sound like you could be a credit to the trip, but I really want someone that knows sails
Thanks anyway

Tags
Philippines