Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 00:59   #1

Panama to South America

Hi,
I am 22, male, biking from Minneapolis to Argentina, rapidly approaching the dreaded Darien Gap. Well, I'm probably two months away, in Mexico City. I have no experience sailing, but I am an eager and quick learner, able-bodied and 6´5" (Is that an advantage in sailing at all?). I have very little preference as to the route, doesn't need to be direct, but I need to get to South America somehow. Visiting Galapagos would obviously be an amazing bonus...
I am two months away but not opposed to taking a bus to get to Panama sooner if need be. Or leaving from somewhere other than Panama.

Otherwise, if anyone has any advice as to how to find such passage, please let me know.

Thanks!
Old 07-03-2012, 01:51   #2

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Re: Panama to South America

There's lots of people doing that semi-commercially down there, you shouldnt have a problem finding a boat - just check in youth hostels
Old 14-03-2012, 13:19   #3

Lots of boats do that trip between Portobello near Colon and Cartagena in Columbia. Google around for people offering the service and you'll fid loads of people to get in contact with - some may even offer a free ride in exchange for working aboard.

Alternatively, offer yourself as crew from Panama to Galapagos on one of the many boats heading across the Pacific, then jump off there and search for a new boat heading to mainland Ecuador.
Old 15-03-2012, 18:19   #4

And for the boats doing these voyages, bringing a bicycle on board would not be a problem? That sort of makes or breaks the idea...
Old 16-03-2012, 12:24   #5

Depends on the owner/captain, so ask in advance. Most seem to be pretty accommodating providing that their boat isn't going to get damaged etc so as long as you can assure them that it won't you should be okay.

Tags
Panama, South America